Nov 22, 2021
Hi,

My omen gaming laptop cpu (i7-9750H) temperature difference is about 30 degrees. When 1 core is 68 degrees under load, another core can reach 98. This has been happening for about a year now, I took this laptop to the HP service centre and they reaplied the thermal paste however it changed nothing. When I put my hand over the exhaust, the air temperature is not that hot. The CPU is also always turboing at 4ghz, even on idle. The idle temperature also bounces around 55 degrees C which I know is abnormal. If you have any suggestions please help me. Here is the temperature graph: View: https://imgur.com/a/1LPPeY2

Last edited:
Solution
30-35c. might be ok on a desktop where the room temperature is20c.
On a laptop, I would expect higher. Laptop coolers are not very efficient because they are small and light.
If you use a balanced power profile, I might expect the clock to lower when not much else is going on. In windows power management, set the minimum clock to something like 20%

It is normal for cores to have differing temperatures.
The cores are on different parts of the cpu die.
They may also differ in quality of silicon.

98c. may be hot, but if it never reaches 100c, the throttling temperature, I would not worry.
Keep your cooling airways clear.
Makes perfect sense if you ask me. If the load you're applying isn't loading all cores, not all cores will be such a high temperature. A 55 degree idle temperature isn't all that hot either (bit high for idle though), and fully depends on the laptop's cooling solution.

Nov 22, 2021
Makes perfect sense if you ask me. If the load you're applying isn't loading all cores, not all cores will be such a high temperature. A 55 degree idle temperature isn't all that hot either (bit high for idle though), and fully depends on the laptop's cooling solution.
Hi, thank you for replying. Im running cinebench multi core test. The idle temperature should be about 30-35 C.
View: https://imgur.com/a/HSgA7Lh

Last edited:
On a laptop, I would expect higher. Laptop coolers are not very efficient because they are small and light.
If you use a balanced power profile, I might expect the clock to lower when not much else is going on. In windows power management, set the minimum clock to something like 20%

98c. may be hot, but if it never reaches 100c, the throttling temperature, I would not worry.

Solution
Nov 22, 2021

Hi, thank you for answering. The minimum processing power is already set to 5%. The thing that worries me is that the idle temperature is bouncing every 0.5 a second or so between 55 and 75 C while doing nothing. The other thing is the CPU is always at 4ghz meanwhile the base speed is 2.5 Ghz.

Nov 22, 2021
You might have an app like email or virus checker that is kicking off on a time regularly.
Look at task manager to see what is running when the temperature rises.
Also, on windows power profile see that the cooling option is set to active.
View: https://imgur.com/a/WmEM7gp

High peaks 85 C
The core is always turboing. When I am not doing anything (utilization 5%) the temperature rises to 85 C. Cooling is active as the fans randomly start spinning at full speed when doing casual stuff.

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
Hi, thank you for answering. The minimum processing power is already set to 5%. The thing that worries me is that the idle temperature is bouncing every 0.5 a second or so between 55 and 75 C while doing nothing. The other thing is the CPU is always at 4ghz meanwhile the base speed is 2.5 Ghz.
I recently set my 7700K back to stock speeds and it would never go below 4.2GHz even with minimum processor state set to 5%. I read that I might have to set the power plan to balanced instead of maximum performance. I did that and it worked. The clock now goes down to 800MHz.