Question CPU fan always blowing (uncontrollably) when I start my PC

ZanicL3

Reputable
Jan 19, 2016
Hi all,

My CPU fan will always start blowing for seconds stop and then start blowing again, it's starting to drive me insane. I've recently cleaned out the entire case as I thought that dust would cause this, there was a good chunk of dust in the CPU cooler but I got rid off that. Stopped doing it then for a couple of days and now it's back...

It will spin up and then stop then spin again. This also keeps doing it when I'm playing games, sometimes it does it sometimes it doesn't. It's not overheating or anything

Here is a sound clip to show.
https://streamable.com/99gms6

Btw this is not the GPU as it states it's at 0% fan usage in CPUID HWMonitor.

Specs

I7 4790K (w/ 2x TX3 EVO)
RTX 2070
ASRock Z97 Pro 4
---
Kingston HyperX Savage 16 GB - 2400mhz
Crucial BX200 - 480 GB SSD
Seagate 1TB 7200rpm

Colif

Win 11 Master
Most PC blow madly with fans at start-up until bios hands control to windows but having heard video, I know that isn't exactly the case here. That and it happens at any time.

doesn't hwmonitor also show CPU fan speeds?

w/ 2x TX3 EVO)
guess you mean 2 fans on it? i can see you can have them on both sides.

how old is it? maybe its time for new fans on it?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You say you cleaned out lots of duct, including in the CPU cooler. Look at that cooler part again. More particularly, you need to see under the fan where the fins of the heatsink are. I have seen heatsinks with all of the spaces between fins packed with dust so no air can flow between the fins, and that really hampers cooling. If yours is like that, see how you can remove the fan from the heatsink without removing the whole thing from the CPU chip. Usually there are wire retainer clips or screws holding the fan in place. Then carefully probe out all the packed dust; then replace the fan.