Jun 5, 2022
Hello folks,

I have a problem of overheating now with my Ryzen 2600X CPU while playing games at the segment of Apex Legends. I had a GTX 1070 which I changed for a Zotac 3070 ti trinity OC. The GPU runs cool, seeing only about 74 C at max usage but my CPU has started to overheat into a BSOD in about 2 mathces in Apex. I watch the system resource values through Msi afterburner and I can see the CPU sitting at 95C-100C before shutting down completely. Older games like starcraft 2 do not push the GPU usage more than 60% so both the GPU and the CPU stay very cool.

It's noticable that the GPU is producing more heat than the older one despite staying cool itself. I suspect that the crazy hot air is smothering the CPU fan. btw I'm not using the stock CPU fan.

My question is, is there any way I can work through this without buying expensive new stuff? (just spent a lot for this heat machine of a GPU already)

What I tried so far are:
Limited the CPU clock to the base value of 3,6 GHz
Undervolted the CPU from 1.3 to 1.1
Opened the case cover
Renewed the thermal paste, and made sure the cooling block makes a firm contact with the CPU
Cleaned the fans.
Adjusted fan curves to increase to the max at around 60C
Reduced CPU depended settings in-game
Tried different GPU drivers

What I haven't tried and looking for confirmation are:
Underclocking the GPU ( it doesnt affect it much when I reduce the in-game GPU depended settings, so I doubt it would reduce the usage)
Removing the clock limit of CPU (some guy on the internet suggested keeping to higher clock rates for reduced temperatures for 2600X , which sounds fishy. Besides, I dont want to fry my CPU yet)
Increase the power supply wattage (it's currently 650W which should be enough but I might consider upgrading to 750W if that causes heat)
Switching to watercooling for the CPU (they seem to be quite expensive now, but having pipes instead of a fan on top might alleviate the problem (?) )
Switching to a different CPU ( lower wattage CPUs should get less hot I guess)

My system:
Ryzen 5 2600X
Zotac 3070 ti Trinity OC
8x2GB ram
3 HDDs and 2 SSDs
3 exhaust fans (1 at the back, 2 at the top)
3 intake fans (all of them at the front of the case)
Case: Rampage Redsky
Edit: CPU fan: Wraith Spire
Motherboard: MSI B450 gaming plus max

I appreciate any kind of advice you guys can give. Thanks in advance!

UPDATE:
I bought a new CPU fan which has a bigger cooling block with 3 smaller fans (Snowman m-x6), and it worked like a charm. Even when the PC case is closed, it doesnt go beyond 71C and I come across BSODs and game crashes much less. This is a great improvement in comparison to 95-100C and force shutdowns. Thanks y'all!

So if anyone out there who is experiencing the same issue, I strongly recommend opting out of stock and cheap cooling options. There seemed to be no other working option in my case.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022
1070 -3070Ti... power use almost doubled between the 2 gpus. That's not insignificant; the little Wraith can't keep up with the energy increase.
Need a bigger cpu cooler.
Do you mean that because the power consumption has increased, now the CPU fan cannot get enough power? Or do you mean that the heat increase due to the power consumption requires better cooling components?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Do you mean that because the power consumption has increased, now the CPU fan cannot get enough power? Or do you mean that the heat increase due to the power consumption requires better cooling components?
Power used = heat.
The Wraith's closest 'cool intake' air is actually from the gpu. Many gpus are designed to dump their waste heat inside the PC.
Most cpu coolers deal with the energy used not just from the cpu, but the gpu as well.
The Wraith is a type of air cooler called a downdraft. Most of them don't have a very high thermal capacity, and the ones that do are screwed by the trend of glass side panels and gpus dumping heat in the PC.

Reactions: Karamubarek
Hello folks,

I have a problem of overheating now with my Ryzen 2600X CPU while playing games at the segment of Apex Legends. I had a GTX 1070 which I changed for a Zotac 3070 ti trinity OC. The GPU runs cool, seeing only about 74 C at max usage but my CPU has started to overheat into a BSOD in about 2 mathces in Apex. I watch the system resource values through Msi afterburner and I can see the CPU sitting at 95C-100C before shutting down completely. Older games like starcraft 2 do not push the GPU usage more than 60% so both the GPU and the CPU stay very cool.

It's noticable that the GPU is producing more heat than the older one despite staying cool itself. I suspect that the crazy hot air is smothering the CPU fan. btw I'm not using the stock CPU fan.

My question is, is there any way I can work through this without buying expensive new stuff? (just spent a lot for this heat machine of a GPU already)

What I tried so far are:
Limited the CPU clock to the base value of 3,6 GHz
Undervolted the CPU from 1.3 to 1.1
Opened the case cover
Renewed the thermal paste, and made sure the cooling block makes a firm contact with the CPU
Cleaned the fans.
Adjusted fan curves to increase to the max at around 60C
Reduced CPU depended settings in-game
Tried different GPU drivers

What I haven't tried and looking for confirmation are:
Underclocking the GPU ( it doesnt affect it much when I reduce the in-game GPU depended settings, so I doubt it would reduce the usage)
Removing the clock limit of CPU (some guy on the internet suggested keeping to higher clock rates for reduced temperatures for 2600X , which sounds fishy. Besides, I dont want to fry my CPU yet)
Increase the power supply wattage (it's currently 650W which should be enough but I might consider upgrading to 750W if that causes heat)
Switching to watercooling for the CPU (they seem to be quite expensive now, but having pipes instead of a fan on top might alleviate the problem (?) )
Switching to a different CPU ( lower wattage CPUs should get less hot I guess)

My system:
Ryzen 5 2600X
Zotac 3070 ti Trinity OC
8x2GB ram
3 HDDs and 2 SSDs
3 exhaust fans (1 at the back, 2 at the top)
3 intake fans (all of them at the front of the case)
Case: Rampage Redsky
Edit: CPU fan: Wraith Spire
Motherboard: MSI B450 gaming plus max

I appreciate any kind of advice you guys can give. Thanks in advance!
Take the side panel off the case and point a table fan at the innards.
Any diff.

Are the fins of the cpu heatsink nice and clean and not packed up with crud?