Question CPU temperatures high after reapplying thermal paste artic mx-4

Mar 3, 2019
Hello, so I have the following specs

Intel i5 6500 4mb cache 3.20ghz up to 3.60

H110m gigabyte ultra durable motherboard

16gb ram

680w psu

Amd RX 480 8gb vram

Its a barely 3 year old pc, so I decided to finally open it up and clean dust( for my suprise there werent any almost) amd to change the thermal paste. Its a skylake intel cpu.

I removed old cpu by using paper towel ( from the kitchen) without any alcohol and it went all well no additional lint spread, I applied a bean sized dot in a middle and didnt spread it I let that to my loudly stock intel heatsink.

After that I reinstalled windows 10 home cpu fan went like crazy but fine.

I checked all drivers 5 times to make sure everything is updated.

I opened the game that made my pc restart after the opening cinematic.

And for my suprise all went good for about half an hour and then bum... it restarted again and I was pissed.

After that I downloaded msi afterburner and checked the temps and I once again was suprised at the numbers idle usually was around 32- 40c before and now is like 45 - 52 and under load it gets as hot as 95c in no time like literally 1 min or so... i dont actually know what the fuck is going on with my cpu cooler, after all its a stock one so I would be suprised if its dying.. its still spinning loud tho.

Gpu is fine idle around 40-50 and under load max of 72c, which is perfect for amd rx ones.

And yes I can confirm that it isnt psu problem. Neither is ram. Its clearly overheating and I dont know what the fuck to do, so whike I am waiting for some sherlock to respond I am gonna do everything again open reapply and turn on, also it coukd be that I didnt mounted cooler right so I will triple check that too.

I need some serious help about this issue.

Thanks in advance.

You should always use rubbing alcohol even if you dont see them there still micro threads of paper being torn off and being left behind more than if it were damp. And thoughs will cause more heat, however what could be happening is what happen to me the other day. You may have had a air Bubble in your thermal paste and it popped when your heatsink was put on you may need to apply more than you thought you had applied. P.S. looking into it your cpu maybe like mine the normal pea size drop doesn't apply you want just a little more, like just "just" undder a dime size drop some cpu's take a little more because there more beast then others hahaha jkjk certain cpu's use more energy/volts then others

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019
You should always use rubbing alcohol even if you dont see them there still micro threads of paper being torn off and being left behind more than if it were damp. And thoughs will cause more heat, however what could be happening is what happen to me the other day. You may have had a air Bubble in your thermal paste and it popped when your heatsink was put on you may need to apply more than you thought you had applied.
But people say tgat you should not pust more than of bean size so I did that... and didnt used credit card to spread it, maybe it didnt covered all the corners? Do I really need alcohol, I dont have it at home right now. What also could I do...

Mar 3, 2019
You should always use rubbing alcohol even if you dont see them there still micro threads of paper being torn off and being left behind more than if it were damp. And thoughs will cause more heat, however what could be happening is what happen to me the other day. You may have had a air Bubble in your thermal paste and it popped when your heatsink was put on you may need to apply more than you thought you had applied. P.S. looking into it your cpu maybe like mine the normal pea size drop doesn't apply you want just a little more, like just "just" undder a dime size drop some cpu's take a little more because there more beast then others hahaha jkjk certain cpu's use more energy/volts then others
The game that I ran is apex legends and preformance wasnt affected a well over 100 fps but it sadly restarted due to cpu overheat.

But people say tgat you should not pust more than of bean size so I did that... and didnt used credit card to spread it, maybe it didnt covered all the corners? Do I really need alcohol, I dont have it at home right now. What also could I do...
General that would be true but trust me i promise you i build pc's you dont want a fat dot you want about a dime size drop thats a little thicker then a centimetre. Like 1.33c thick it will spread nicly over the top of the cpu and keep it nice and cool. As for supplement to alcohol not really it's recommened not only cause it's cleaning abuility but it "almost" instant drying

Mar 3, 2019
General that would be true but trust me i promise you i build pc's you dont want a fat dot you want about a dime size drop thats a little thicker then a centimetre. Like 1.33c thick it will spread nicly over the top of the cpu and keep it nice and cool. As for supplement to alcohol not really it's recommened not only cause it's cleaning abuility but it "almost" instant drying
Should I apply some force while mounting heatsink back or shoukd I just gently lay it down, this is my first time doing it... welll it will be second time.

Should I apply some force while mounting heatsink back or shoukd I just gently lay it down, this is my first time doing it... welll it will be second time.
I normally set the heatsink down as squared up as i can and let the mount apply the force. So If you have a screw on heatsink apply each screw in a x pattern with even pressure on the screws. If it's a clip let the clip apply the pressure as you flip it to the lock possition.

Mar 3, 2019
I normally set the heatsink down as squared up as i can and let the mount apply the force. So If you have a screw on heatsink apply each screw in a x pattern with even pressure on the screws. If it's a clip let the clip apply the pressure as you flip it to the lock possition.
Meh its a plain old plastic pin that stock intel coolers have, one more question I am interested in cryorig h7 it fits with height but I dont know if it will fit my proccessor, can you check that for me please? I woukd like to upgrade the stock one.