Question Cpu Utilization drops drastically when Gaming.

Jan 19, 2024
So I have a laptop (Dell precision m6600) With a i7-2620M and Nvidia Quadro 3000M graphics card with 8GB ram and the issue I'm mainly having is that when I plug my laptop in the cpu Speed drops from 2.0 to 2.7 ghz to 0.78 ghz and I use the throttlestop's clock mod feature to fix it But when I start a game it runs perfectly for around 5-10 minute and then the cpu Utilization drops to 8%-15% and the Gpu Utilization goes upto 100%

I see many complaints about gaming laptops not performing well.
Usually gaming while plugged in.
One common cause is thermal throttling.
Laptop coolers must, of necessity be small and light.
The coolers are also relatively underpowered.
If you run an app such as HWMonitor or HWinfo, you will get the current, minimum, and maximum cpu temperatures. Set to see each individual core.
For intel processors, if you see a max of 100c. in red, it means you have throttled.

The cpu will lower it's multiplier and power draw to protect itself until the situation reverses.
At a lower multiplier, your cpu usage may well be at 100%
What can you do?
First, see that your cooler airways are clear and that the cooler fan is spinning.
Use a windows balanced power profile, not the performance profile.
Set a minimum cpu performance to something like 20%

It is counter-intuitive, but, try changing the windows balanced power profile advanced functions to a max of 90% instead of the default of 100%
You may not notice the reduced cpu performance.

Jan 19, 2024
I Did all that already and my Temps are below 70c when gaming or anything even when using throttlestop to use maximum power