[SOLVED] Dell computer mouse doesn't work.

Hello, so I still have a 10ish-year-old Dell USB mouse. It says on the bottom "P/N XN966". This mouse used to work fine, but when I tried to use it today it doesnt work.

I plug it in, the laser turns on, flashes a few times, and turns off. It doesnt every show up on the computer and this exact sequence of events happens every time its plugged in no matter the USB port or computer.
Any way to fix this mouse or just toss it or...

Solution
I also have an old Dell mouse that recently stopped working.

Dell MS 111 (8 years, 2 months old)

It's laser works but it just fails to point anywhere on the screen, but I had spilled water on that mouse, may be that caused it to stop working.

The same has happened with my Logitech G402 as well, but it survived.

When I plugged it in, it's laser inside that normally glows went off. I thought it died but I removed it and let it dry in sunshine for about 2 days and then I was able to get it working.

Lutfij

Titan
Have you tried working with the mouse on another donor system to rule out that your system might be nitpicky? It happens to most other users. If the mouse indeed is dead, it's possible the control board or the sensor is needing repair which might be more than buying the same mouse off of Amazon.

Sagar_20

Distinguished
I also have an old Dell mouse that recently stopped working.

Dell MS 111 (8 years, 2 months old)

It's laser works but it just fails to point anywhere on the screen, but I had spilled water on that mouse, may be that caused it to stop working.

The same has happened with my Logitech G402 as well, but it survived.

When I plugged it in, it's laser inside that normally glows went off. I thought it died but I removed it and let it dry in sunshine for about 2 days and then I was able to get it working.

Solution