01swodniW

Commendable
Oct 1, 2016
My laptop is having a strange problem in which it will go from about 90% charge to 0% quickly, and then after automatically shutting down, it will continue running. If I restart the laptop it will tell me that the battery is low in the BIOS, and windows will tell me that it is at 7% charge. It will then shut itself down after a few minutes and after restarting it for a third time it will drop down to 0%, staying at 0 for quite a while. I am not sure if this is a problem with the battery or the laptop. I have tried reseating the battery but that does not seem to have done anything. It's really just an inconvenience. What could be the problem? Is there a fix?

Thank you.

Edit: The laptop just reached 50-60% and shut itself down. When I booted it up, I received the 'battery is critically low' message, and I was greeted with a lovely 0% battery.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
If the battery is a brand new non-genuine Dell battery for your laptop, you will need to discharge and recharge the battery multiple times to get it to cycle through the power and allow it to be in optimal efficiency. If the battery is the one that came with the laptop from purchase, then you're in need of a replacement battery.

Might want to see which version of BIOS you're currently on. FYI, you won't be able to update your BIOS(if you have updates pending) if your battery is all over the place.

Lutfij

Titan
If the battery is a brand new non-genuine Dell battery for your laptop, you will need to discharge and recharge the battery multiple times to get it to cycle through the power and allow it to be in optimal efficiency. If the battery is the one that came with the laptop from purchase, then you're in need of a replacement battery.

Might want to see which version of BIOS you're currently on. FYI, you won't be able to update your BIOS(if you have updates pending) if your battery is all over the place.

01swodniW

Commendable
Oct 1, 2016

Apologies for not responding...
I found that the issue was with the battery, as I tested it with multiple other batteries and they worked fine. It's a genuine Dell battery, by the way.
Thanks anyway!

blackcatpc

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Dell laptop batteries have a communication chip that communicates with the BIOS and laptop charger. Even with a genuine battery, you can get this error. You can normally resolve the issue by Updating the BIOS as it might not recognize the newer revision batteries.

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Ben