I use XP Home and am having a problem with Startup. The background desktop
appears but there is no task bar, no desktop icons, and no start button.

What happens if you press CTRL+ESCape keys ? or the Windows-key on keyboard?
Has the "unused desktop icon" wizard kicked in recently?
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

"jrd" wrote in
>I use XP Home and am having a problem with Startup. The background desktop
> appears but there is no task bar, no desktop icons, and no start button.

Andrew

"jrd" <jrd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I use XP Home and am having a problem with Startup. The background desktop
> appears but there is no task bar, no desktop icons, and no start button.

Sounds like a corrupt registry key to me. The link below points to a a
registry key repair. Obviosuly copy uor registry before hand. Even a visit
to kellys-corner website would be wise so that you are comfortable with the
fix rather than just running it from the link below.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/nodesktop.reg

Andy

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 12:33:03 -0500, "Maurice N ~ MVP"
<maurice@mvps.org> wrote:

>What happens if you press CTRL+ESCape keys ? or the Windows-key on keyboard?
>Has the "unused desktop icon" wizard kicked in recently?

Would the "unused desktop icons" wizard remove the Taskbar and Start
button too? Somehow, I doubt it.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread.
If you must reply via email, remove the obvious
from my email address before sending.