Nov 11, 2019
Hi all,

i finally got at that stage where my old 7 year old desktop needs an upgrade;

i currently own the following system:

i5 3570k @4.0GHz

8 Gb ddr3

MAXIMUS V GENE Z77

Gtx 670 2Gb Palit

Now i am a bit undecided if i should just update the graphic card with a 1660 super (i only play at 1080p) and maybe add other 8 Gb Ram,

OR

I should sell everything and invest in a mid range system with a ryzen 5 3600x

Any suggestion?

what you would do?

Thank you

Solution
Any suggestion?
what you would do?
I'd upgrade everything.
New cpu, board, 16GB ram, GPU, SSD (possibly PSU also).
16GB is basically standard for gaming now and 4core/4thread cpu is starting to struggle on latest gaming titles already.

If you were short in cash, then upping ram and GPU would probably be enough for now, but in a year or so you'd want to upgrade whole system anyway.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Ask yourself these.
  • Can I deal with Lowered settings?
  • Can I deal with FPS spikes and moments of latency?
  • Does my budget permit me to upgrade everything?
If your budget-strapped then uping the RAM and the GPU makes logical sense until you can afford to replace everything. A 670 2gb is quite low on the spectrum but an i5 3570K overclocked with a competent GPU is still capable for the time being.

Reactions: Pgalano
Nov 11, 2019
Ask yourself these.
  • Can I deal with Lowered settings?
  • Can I deal with FPS spikes and moments of latency?
  • Does my budget permit me to upgrade everything?
If your budget-strapped then uping the RAM and the GPU makes logical sense until you can afford to replace everything. A 670 2gb is quite low on the spectrum but an i5 3570K overclocked with a competent GPU is still capable for the time being.

Thank you for your advice;
i don't have a budget restriction; i mean i could upgrade everything right now if i wish;

But because i play only at 1080p i am not sure if it is worthed;

i mean if i would be able to have decent framerate at high settings just with upgrading GPU and Ram and save few hundred bucks why not?

i am just not sure if my CPU will be enough for this

Any suggestion?
what you would do?
I'd upgrade everything.
New cpu, board, 16GB ram, GPU, SSD (possibly PSU also).
16GB is basically standard for gaming now and 4core/4thread cpu is starting to struggle on latest gaming titles already.

If you were short in cash, then upping ram and GPU would probably be enough for now, but in a year or so you'd want to upgrade whole system anyway.

Reactions: Pgalano
Solution
Nov 11, 2019
but in a year or so you'd want to upgrade whole system anyway.

in this case i think i will follow your advice;

my concern is exactly what you said; if i will need to upgrade everything next year anyway it is better to do it now;

i was thinking to buy these components:

ryzen 5 3600x
16 gb ram ddr4 (not sure if the clock of the ram is relevant for me)
GPU gtx 1660 super (or maybe some other GPU? any suggestion)
new SSD (no idea on which one... one suggestions)
MoBo asus rog strix 470x-i
PSU depending on which GPU i will buy

what do you think? should i choose intel over AMD?

Thanks everyone for the advice and sorry for my english (i am not a native speaker)

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
i don't have a budget restriction; i mean i could upgrade everything right now if i wish;

But because i play only at 1080p i am not sure if it is worthed;

i mean if i would be able to have decent framerate at high settings just with upgrading GPU and Ram and save few hundred bucks why not?

i am just not sure if my CPU will be enough for this

"But because i play only at 1080p i am not sure if it is worthed"

Well, it really depends on what your playing or what you're thinking about playing. Current AAA games have become much more demanding and even an i5 8400 "6 core" can be seen struggling with spikes and latency in 1080p ultra settings in several titles.

As with anything the use must warrant the investment. ;) Right now is a good time to upgrade should you need it but next year will be better since you will have new CPU's and more GPU's to pick from. Intel will release Comet lake and GPU's, AMD will release Ryzen 4 and new GPU's, Nvidia will release it's next-gen Ampere all starting in the 1-2 quarter of 2020.