Did Steve Jobs Steal The iPad? Genius Inventor Alan Kay Reveals All

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Konman

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
[citation][nom]JohnnyLucky[/nom]Great article that provides insight and historical perspective to what is happening today.[/citation]

Why look at some guy`s writings back in 1972 or at Star Trek mockups? - when there is already something out there which is like the I-pad . . . its call HP tablet PC which Hewlett Packard has been making since 2004:

http://pctuning.tyden.cz/ilustrace3/Sulc/hp_2730p/foto3_stredni.jpg

The nice thing about this one is that you can run regular PC software on it and do some photoshop sketches directly onto the screen with a stylus (as far as I know Adobe software won`t run on the I-pad). Best thing of all, you don`t need to go to the I-store to purchase your software.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
The iPad finds it origin not in the above devices, but in devices like the Archos tablets. Apple is just copying the ideas of other creative manufacturers and using its unconditional support in the US media to shield the evidence of their theft from their technological illiterate fanboy base. Apple Inc is an important case study in the annals of media enabled propaganda and consume hoodwinking. I would not be at all surprised if I learned that tabloids like the poorly performing New York Times were heavily invested in Apple stock.

Incidentally, there was another event that made me have similar thoughts. When the lies based attack on Iraq was being mass endorsed by tabloids like the New York Times, other paper around the world were exposing the lies that were being told to dumbed-down Americans in order to justify the war. At one point I came to the conclusion that one reason the lies in support of the attack on Iraq were being unconditionally trumpeted by the US media was in part because they were heavily invested in oil futures... Apple, and its unconditional endorsement by the US media likely falls into the same category.

Here is a chart of the price of oil :

http://fwd4.me/8tx

Now imagine investing in leveraged financial instruments that rise 5x faster than the above chart shows, and you will know how lies can bring you money.

G

Didn't Apple hire Kay and the other major PARC guy (name escapes me now)? So is it stealing? If so, why do Kay and Jobs speak today? Jobs in his manner appears to acknowledge Kay's role in all this.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
"This is a very funny post - especially the Apple controlled MSNBC, lol"

Ummm, I dont think Apple controls the media. Rather the media and Apple work symbiotically. By endorsing Apple products, media companies make money investing in Apple stocks, and derivatives when Apple earns more money as the result of the media's assistance in further hoodwinking the technologically preliterate fanboys that unconditionally consume Apple's overpriced DRM controlled hardware.

Symbiotic relations like these have been observed in many diverse markets in the past, and they are not at all uncommon. They are often chance or deliberate formations that develop in the networking circuits of corporate power.

In passing, let me add that it is indeed obvious that the US media has absolutely no desire in exposing the mediocrity of most of Apple's hardware, to the extent that they are actually lying to their readers on behalf of their celebrated genius-con-artist Steve Jobs.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
the only Invention in the Ipad's development was the marketing. interface, ease of use stuff ect. and even that remains to be seen. (I'm not a noob, I wouldn't know). there is no aspect of the hardware, the layout, design, tech specs, and features that I would consider in anyway an Invention, even if only counting marketed products. it just glued a bunch of inventions together to create a concept that had already been invented years ago.

Tom Griffin

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Actually I was thinking of the book; "Dealers of Lightning" and watching how Xerox really did a pile of research stuff with the help of DARPA and others. Even the gal that made our first OOP language SmallTalk. Good work digital scribe; keep it up...

G

Apple Packages and sells the ideas of others that it buys and employes. Surprise!? Apple exceeds at taking ideas and implementing them in a way that provides function for consumers.

Apple has pretty much exceeded in renewing a fading tablet market for personal use. As for education and corporate use it has failed. The software purchasing method plus the idea that this device is co-dependent on another machine for use was a epic fail IMO from other people in IT that I work with.

G

As I recall, there were slate tablets on the Flintstones, which dates back 50 years, way sooner than the Dynabook. So before anybody goes all hogwild on this, just realize that the concept was out there, and has been for a long time.

It just took 50 years for it to REALLY come to fruition. And for those who just don't get it...don't bother. You never will. Fortunately, there are a LOT of people who do. The iPad does signal a paradigm shift in computing. A pound and a half is a LOT easier to carry than a 6 lb laptop. It's a LOT easier to carry than 70 lbs of textbooks. And when your medical records can be sent to it wirelessly at the scene of an accident so that first responders know if you have existing medical conditions, allergies, etc., you will be very glad.

You just won't have realized it could do any of that.

goldeneagle777

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2007
On the topic of iPad and education. I would love to be able to take about 20 iPads loaded with Rosetta Stone language software (if such an app exists) to Haiti with me and give them to the orphanage I support. I know people down there really want to learn English but there is a shortage of proficient English teachers in the hills away from the capital. A device like this with a simple Satellite internet connection and Wi-Fi device would give the children the ability to learn English on their own time and give them access to the world of information and greatly help them.

G

Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle wrote about an iPhone/iPad like device in The Mote in God's Eye. 1974.

G

When did Steve Job or Apple claimed that they invented or originated the tablet and the MP3 player?

cdiazh

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Sorry to disappoint you, dan117, but you should check out your facts. Apple does steal from others, just like Microsoft, and other tech companies. The Mac idea itself came out of Palo Alto Research Center (PARC), which was setup by XEROX (check the movie PIRATES OF SILICON VALLEY). Also Apple did not invent the portable music players. As far as I know, and that includes MP3 technology, that honor goes to Creative Labs, who took Apple to court and won a settlement against Apple, so now Apple has to pay them royalties for every piece of music and player they sell. Even the Iphone is not an original idea, it's just a reworked piece of technology. Personally, I don't have an Iphone because if you buy one, your AT&T insurance won't cover it, so if you break it, you have to pay full price to get another one.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
"When did Steve Job or Apple claimed that they invented or originated the tablet and the MP3 player?"

They didn't, but the the US media remained silent about other superior mp3 devices in the market, and upped the hype about the iPod, eventually creating the term "pod castings" to describe what should have been rightfully named an mp3 casting, or something similar.

Indeed, by remaining silent the media fostered the belief that their in house genius-con-artist, Mr Jobs, had developed something innovative and new, when all he did was steal and repackage devices that were already in the market. Apple and its US media enablers achieved this by targeting a base of technologically preliterate dumbed-down reptiles; so successful was the propaganda campaign levied in favor of Apple's "ingenious" invention, "the iPod", that the media single-handily created the iPod hype that we saw unfold a few years back. In those days I remember reading countless articles on subjects completely unrelated to technology where the authors would make assertions like "I was relaxing with my iPod", or, "I felt so bored that I turned on my iPod." Notice that in each of those instances the term "mp3 player" could have been used.

thatmymp5

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
A girl just show off me a iphone to me in the lift from 7th storey @toa payoh lorong 2 blk 120 Singapore 310120. see...they can't produce anything new to amuse me except those copycat products from apple in the market again over again. heh They can't produce a shit except other's invented product. lmao.

G

This article strives to look too deep into it all.

There's a HUGE difference between thinking, "You know what would be cool?"

and

"Look what I made."

I've "invented" many things in my head, but can't come out and say I invented it when someone else brings the product to the table.

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
There are no original thoughts and thinking your thought is unique is equal to claiming your omnipotent.There is no way of knowing no one thought your thought before. This is a fact undeniable and thus either every one steals or no one does.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]tuannguyen[/nom]Are you being sarcastic? Apple didn't event any of the things you pointed out.[/citation]
Jeez Tuan, unless someone puts /sarcasm at the end of the statement does that mean you cant tell when someone is joking?

/fake incredulity

G

I seriously doubt the authenticity of this photo. A casual query of the history of LCD development will reveal that the first commercial production of LCD displays did not begin until the early '70s, and these were for electronic watch digital displays and small pocket calculators. I think that any of you who go back to this era will remember. Largish flat panel displays did not start to appear until around the mid to later 80's when laptops began to appear. What is being portrayed in the photo is a nice sized LCD panel, which in reality would not have been produced for another 20 years. While there may have been some PARC research/white-paper activities going on about possible future hand-held devices, there certainly was nothing at PARC at the time that was an LCD of this dimension; in fact, PARC was not among the experimenters that produced the first LCD effects in the laboratory in '68 - '70.

So, take this so-called iPad/netbook prognosication with a very tablespoon dose of salt. In fact, I would toss the article into the garbage bin.

Jerry

G

OMG - Could someone please tell me how iPad isn't just a glorified tablet?! I mean come on people - wake up.

necronic

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
This is a very poorly concieved article. It could have been in interesting historical retrospective on the world of tablet PCs, but you decided to completely torpedo your own credibility with a title that has nothing to do with the article itself.

Congrats.

Status
Not open for further replies.