Question Disabling PWM fans (system, not CPU) under specific temperatures

Nov 21, 2020
I have 4 PWM fans installed in my case (PcCooler Halo RGB 120 mm), MSI MPG Z490M Gaming Edge Motherboard, however temperature-wise I have no use for them (and their noise) while doing basic stuff or idling.
Is it harmful or not to set them up in BIOS in DC smart fan mode in CPU-temperature-dependent way? Meaning they get 0 volts up till 60° C, 6v starting 60° C and so on.
Thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If the board has the feature and the fans are capable of being run at 0 or low RPM's then, I'd ask you to go ahead but at the slightest notice of the fans acting weird should tell you to back out of the zero RPM. FYI, if you're running PWM fans, why are you looking at DC mode? They should be quiet as is provided the source of your temps to regulate the fans are your CPU and your CPU is being cooled without issue.

Reactions: samudoma
Nov 21, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If the board has the feature and the fans are capable of being run at 0 or low RPM's then, I'd ask you to go ahead but at the slightest notice of the fans acting weird should tell you to back out of the zero RPM. FYI, if you're running PWM fans, why are you looking at DC mode? They should be quiet as is provided the source of your temps to regulate the fans are your CPU and your CPU is being cooled without issue.

Thanks for your answer.
When I set fans to 0% in PWM mode, they keep spinning at minimum RPM (~900-1000), which is still a bit noisy to my liking, since I have 4 of them installed.
DC mode allows to fully disable them (at 0 volts), which is much more preferable. I'm just wondering whether its harmful to fans in the long term