Question Display cuts out when DisplayPort cable is bumped ?

Apr 7, 2023
My display keeps cutting out when the DisplayPort cable gets bumped; the only way to get the display back is to pull the cable out and put it back in, which sometimes takes a few tries and sometimes makes the display appear square and low-quality. This happens on both of my monitors. What do you think would cause something like this?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

That doesn't seem right, you shouldn't be bumping the connector. Often times this leads to h connector on the motherboard/display to go bad, to the point you have to resolder a connector on. It can also be that the cable is damaged from the constant bumping. See if replacing the cables with a new one and if the issue persists.

Apr 7, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

That doesn't seem right, you shouldn't be bumping the connector. Often times this leads to h connector on the motherboard/display to go bad, to the point you have to resolder a connector on. It can also be that the cable is damaged from the constant bumping. See if replacing the cables with a new one and if the issue persists.

The graphics card that the cables are plugged into is new, so I guess it's either the cable or monitor then, but it happens on both monitors, which seems odd, and one of the monitors is new as well. So unless both cables are broken, I don't know.

Lutfij

Titan
Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
you stated new, what GPU were you working with prior? Also, please pass on links to both the old and new GPU. As for your PSU, please pass on the age of the unit apart from it's make and model.

Apr 7, 2023
Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
you stated new, what GPU were you working with prior? Also, please pass on links to both the old and new GPU. As for your PSU, please pass on the age of the unit apart from it's make and model.

CPU: r5 7600x
CPU cooler: peerless assassin se 120
Motherboard: gigabyte gaming x az b650m
Ram: kingston fury ddr5 15gb 5200mhz
SSD/HDD: crucial p3
GPU: rtx 3070 eagle gigabytye
PSU: corsair rm850e
Chassis: antec dp503
Monitor: msi mag 272c

no old gpu, its a new build made from on sale parts

Apr 7, 2023
I found out what the problem was. It turns out that the shroud of my DP cable was so thick and protrusive that it interfered with the back slot of the GPU, where I plug the cables in. I think I'm just going to look online for some with a smaller shroud. Thanks for all the help.