theodoristef

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013
Hello my accademy has someprojects set out and one of them is to set up a WebPage for the accademy . They give us the option to set up our own server or to buy a host (accademy founding) . So i would like to ask if we build the server there are 700-1000 users active at the same time what are the specs for a server like that ?
The primary purpose for that server is to set up a WebPage were the Principal and the teachers can upload documents for the students as well anouncements and the ability to log in (set up a profile for each student and teacher)

Also what is the bandwidth that a server like that will need ?

I like the project but i want to know the limitations to take on or not .

kanewolf

Titan
Before being able to answer any of those questions, you need more information. Assuming this "Web Page" has already been designed (or purchased). The software provider should have some benchmarks or guidelines for host sizing. Without knowing the software requirements, there is no way to size the hardware in a valid way.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Well, obviously hosting is going to be the obvious and easy choice both from a hardware as well as software and connectivity standpoint. Just about the only thing you will have to do in that case is design the content and load it.

From a hosting your own server/machine standpoint, that can vary a lot based on what the page is going to do and allow. Is this a static "announcement" page? Is it rich content that will be allowing animations and music? Will there be further prompts and links available to be followed such that all of the 1K users you project having access could be looking at and doing different things?

As to the bandwidth, since this is a school project that aspect will likely be more out of your hands and control than in. At the very least in a situation like that I would consider a "multi LAN" connection card or ability built in.

Spec wise I would consider that if the page is more static it's not going to take much CPU at all, with the requirement getting higher the more option and variable there is once landed. In both cases I would consider a great deal of RAM.

With a use case like this I would likely look to see what you could find on an older last gen blade/rack server if you were going to buy your own system to host from. I would go on the assumption that the schools IT dept will be helping you with configuring the IP/forwarding/etc for the local access needed.
I would also try to be clear with them what OS they are expecting you to have this available in. Server OS of the paid flavors can be high cost. There are Linux distros that are freeware.

As a sort of "for instance".
A few years ago when port forwarding services were still free and ISP would allow you control over your own port forwarding in a way they don't make as accessible now...
I created a Windows .mms server...a music server that myself and people with the address/password could connect to. At the time I made the system from the basis of a Pentium 4 computer. If I set the folder and put the music up to play at all times randomly I could have about 20 of my friends connect to it an listen without issue. When I set the folder to be a "player" type where the individual had choice over what tracks and order to listen in, that number went down to around 5. This was a problem not only of horsepower of the hosting machine, but bandwidth as well.

Last edited:

theodoristef

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013
Before being able to answer any of those questions, you need more information. Assuming this "Web Page" has already been designed (or purchased). The software provider should have some benchmarks or guidelines for host sizing. Without knowing the software requirements, there is no way to size the hardware in a valid way.
From Scratch

theodoristef

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013
Well, obviously hosting is going to be the obvious and easy choice both from a hardware as well as software and connectivity standpoint. Just about the only thing you will have to do in that case is design the content and load it.

From a hosting your own server/machine standpoint, that can vary a lot based on what the page is going to do and allow. Is this a static "announcement" page? Is it rich content that will be allowing animations and music? Will there be further prompts and links available to be followed such that all of the 1K users you project having access could be looking at and doing different things?

As to the bandwidth, since this is a school project that aspect will likely be more out of your hands and control than in. At the very least in a situation like that I would consider a "multi LAN" connection card or ability built in.

Spec wise I would consider that if the page is more static it's not going to take much CPU at all, with the requirement getting higher the more option and variable there is once landed. In both cases I would consider a great deal of RAM.

With a use case like this I would likely look to see what you could find on an older last gen blade/rack server if you were going to buy your own system to host from. I would go on the assumption that the schools IT dept will be helping you with configuring the IP/forwarding/etc for the local access needed.
I would also try to be clear with them what OS they are expecting you to have this available in. Server OS of the paid flavors can be high cost. There are Linux distros that are freeware.

As a sort of "for instance".
A few years ago when port forwarding services were still free and ISP would allow you control over your own port forwarding in a way they don't make as accessible now...
I created a Windows .mms server...a music server that myself and people with the address/password could connect to. At the time I made the system from the basis of a Pentium 4 computer. If I set the folder and put the music up to play at all times randomly I could have about 20 of my friends connect to it an listen without issue. When I set the folder to be a "player" type where the individual had choice over what tracks and order to listen in, that number went down to around 5. This was a problem not only of horsepower of the hosting machine, but bandwidth as well.

The 1k users is the worst case senario and ofc DDOS
No animation or music videos just word documents (class scedules , exam results , notes etc ) and some images that everyone using the website is able to view or download
Also we need to have the server online not only on Lan , so everyone from home is able to access it
Hosting seems the most viable plan because i dont thing the schools network has that much power but i dont want to suggest a overkill host computer .

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Put simply, if the school already have a web page and someone was willing you make this as easy as a page that some specific person updates and a file server with access permissions. Upward from there. The big thing I see as an issue there is them paying this person to keep it updated and relevant.
Outside my pay grade and knowledge I suppose you could write a "portal" program that takes care of that aspect as it's loaded.

This could also be as simple as using Google Drive or Dropbox service with password access specific to the class....

theodoristef

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013
Put simply, if the school already have a web page and someone was willing you make this as easy as a page that some specific person updates and a file server with access permissions. Upward from there. The big thing I see as an issue there is them paying this person to keep it updated and relevant.
Outside my pay grade and knowledge I suppose you could write a "portal" program that takes care of that aspect as it's loaded.

This could also be as simple as using Google Drive or Dropbox service with password access specific to the class....

They want it to be more formal so an outsider can access this is the old site that looks ugly and misses the featues i metioned http://aen-kritis.chan.sch.gr/