[SOLVED] Do NVIDIA graphics cards work better on Windows than Linux?

krelidas_34

Honorable
Sep 23, 2018
A couple of years ago, Linus Torvalds starting grilling NVIDIA about the chips screwing up Android phones. He said, "NVIDIA, **** you!" and stuck out his middle finger. This made me conclude that NVIDIA just sucks for Linux and other Unix-based products.

But as for Windows, NVIDIA's still excellent, in my opinion. Sure, I had few very tedious issues updating my driver. However, I fixed them myself and everything else is fine. I ran games such as Ace Combat 7, Nier: Automata, and other games without hiccups. I previously used Windows 10, but I upgraded to Windows 11. I heard 11 is supposed to be laggy in terms of performance, but no issues so far with mine.

Kinda off-topic, but Torvalds also criticized Intel not being secure with Linux, but both my Windows and Linux machine is doing fine, and they both run Intel.

And... I don't know about Macs...

I have Intel Core i7 8750H (Coffee Lake), Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060, 16GB of RAM, and currently running Windows 11. Not a powerful gaming laptop, but I can run a couple of decent games.
As for my Linux machine: Intel core i5 4200U, 8GB of RAM, uses Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics, and runs Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa. A very old laptop.

I want to know your experiences. Feel free to share! :)

Last edited:
Solution
Torvalds vs Microsoft. When you boil it down, where would you (as Intel or nvidia) invest the time and effort?

Torvalds wrote Linux. Of course he's miffed that although realistically it should run perfect and perfectly secure on Intels and nvidia, it doesn't always. If it did, and was generally as user friendly as Windows aims to be, Torvalds would be sitting right next to Bill Gates in the Hamptons. But it isn't, and he doesn't, so it's understandable that he's miffed.

From what I've seen of Torvalds, his rants and explosions and finger pointing etc all just leads me to believe that he's a firm believer in 'his **** don't stink', therefore any smell from such gets blamed on others inadequacies.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Torvalds vs Microsoft. When you boil it down, where would you (as Intel or nvidia) invest the time and effort?

Torvalds wrote Linux. Of course he's miffed that although realistically it should run perfect and perfectly secure on Intels and nvidia, it doesn't always. If it did, and was generally as user friendly as Windows aims to be, Torvalds would be sitting right next to Bill Gates in the Hamptons. But it isn't, and he doesn't, so it's understandable that he's miffed.

From what I've seen of Torvalds, his rants and explosions and finger pointing etc all just leads me to believe that he's a firm believer in 'his **** don't stink', therefore any smell from such gets blamed on others inadequacies.

Reactions: krelidas_34
Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The basics, no, not much difference at all, Linux RedHat or Mint or Ubuntu is pretty similar, as is Windows Home or Pro or Server. But its the part beyond the basics that is quite different, Ubuntu can do things Mint can't, RedHat can do a bunch that Mint or Ubuntu can't, same as you'd not use Windows Server for a general use home Pc, you'd use Windows Home or Pro etc. Apart from any comfort level between Home/Pro use or Ubuntu/Mint use, you'd use what fits best for the application. Some ppl just have preferences and or needs.

krelidas_34

Honorable
Sep 23, 2018

Sorry for the late comment, but does AMD spend time and effort for Linux? Torvalds seem to like AMD chipset and graphic cards very well; he should be satisfied with that.