Question Docking station for laptop and Desktop PC

chrisc92

Honorable
Jan 11, 2015
Hi,

Im thinking of buying a docking station to connect my 2 monitors and keyboard and as well as my PC desktop.

However when I am not using my desktop (powered off), can I simply connect my laptop to one of the available usb-ports to use the 2 monitors and keyboard for my laptop?

Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of your laptop and what sort of a docking station are you looking at? There are docking stations are cater to discrete GPU's and additional USB ports but the latter generation of docking stations all cater to GPU's only and you can source more USB ports off a USB type-C port on any of todays laptops.

For added measure, include the specs to your desktop like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

How do you intend to connect the docking station to your desktop?

chrisc92

Honorable
Jan 11, 2015
Well actually i feel a bit silly asking this but can the docking station be used as hub essentially? I just dont want to keep plugging and unplugging monitors and keybaords to my laptop and my desktop back and forth...

Depending on the laptop and PC (Both need to have USB3 or thunderbolt 3) and the docking station, that can work, yes

e.g. https://i-tec.cz/en/produkt/u3hdmidvidock-2/
(with this one you would need an USB switch for PC and laptop like https://www.amazon.de/DIGITUS-USB-3-0-Sharing-Switch/dp/B07HBYXJX9?th=1 , if you don´t wanna switch the USB cable of the docking station manually)

like Lutfij wrote, all specs would get you a more detailed suggestion. Additionally: which monitors do you wanna use? Which connectoions are available on these? HDMI, DVI, VGA, DP?

Last edited:

chrisc92

Honorable
Jan 11, 2015
Yes I will be using the two display ports for my two monitors. What switches would you recommend? I dont think i need something too advanced as long as it doesnt act as a bottleneck .The aim is to avoid switching the usb between my pc and laptop

Edit: Does not cause noticeable latency as well

Last edited: