Does AMD Athlon XP Burn in a Second ?

tejas123

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2002
Does Athlon XP burn in a second. i want to buy Athlon XP, but all my friends are telling that it is the worst processor. it burns in seconds. it has high temperatures.. they are telling buy Pentium 4 .. what should i do.. pleaes tell me..

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Does Athlon XP burn in a second. i want to buy Athlon XP, but all my friends are telling that it is the worst processor. it burns in seconds. it has high temperatures.. they are telling buy Pentium 4 .. what should i do.. pleaes tell me..
Hmm, Athlons don't burn in seconds. It's not a bad processors. It runs no hotter than my Pentium 4. What's your budget? I have both an Athlon and a Pentium 4 system and I like both equally.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

tejas123

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2002
My friends are telling that AMD burns when even for a second a FAN is not connected.. i am scared.. about my buged. i prefer cheaper and good. but if AMD is not good then whats the use of Cheap things.. so i can even buy Intel.. but i have also heard that AMD performs well.. but burns in seconds.. help me

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
Don't run it w/o the fan connected and you'll be fine. It's true that Intel has a more reliable thermal protection, but just be careful w/ the AXP and you should be ok. How tight is your budget anyway? a 1.6a, or 1.8a P4 isnt that expensive. Plus if you overclock, you can get them to perform better than any stock AXP.

This sig runs too hot.

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Depending on the speed of the processor, you've got about 5 minutes of running without the fan plugged in (assuming the heatsink is attached) before you're in trouble. If you screw up and don't have the heatsink mounted properly, a couple of seconds is all you have...

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
If you buy a motherboard with built in thermal protection then you shouldnt be worried about your CPU burning. I only know of 2 motherboards that have this function built in they are made by soltek (I think its the Soltek SR7-DRV but I'm not sure) and Asus. They are both based on the KT333 chipset, if the processor gets too hot the computer turns itself off.

Why use windows when you can use doors?

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
My friends are telling that AMD burns when even for a second a FAN is not connected.
Your friends are incorrect. If the CPU fan dies, but the heatsink itself remains in place, the CPU will continue to work for at least several minutes. Somewhere above 60C, it will lock up, but actual processor damage doesn't start happening until the core reaches 90C (which reportedly might take about an hour with just a heatsink in place). If you install health-monitoring software (like <A HREF="http://mbm.livewiredev.com/" target="_new">Motherboard Monitor</A>) and configure it to shut off your system on the relevant alarm conditions, you're pretty well protected from this eventuality.

If the heatsink itself falls off the processor (a highly unlikely occurrence), then the processor is probably going to burn--unless you're using an Asus A7V333 motherboard and have it configured properly. The A7V333 has CPU Overheat Protection (C.O.P.), which in many cases can shut the system down safely, even if the heatsink falls off.

<i>I can love my fellow man...but I'm damned if I'll love yours.</i>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
welcome to the world of <b>FUD</b> - Fear Uncertainty & Doubt.

Athlon Processors CAN burnup... but only if your are <b>MONUMENTALLY STUPID</b> and leave off the heatsink alltogether.
if you do that then you dont deserve to have or use a computer.

Use the stock cooler unit.
follow the instructions.
rememer to plug in the fan.
and you should have no problems.

In the unlikely event of fan failure, it will eventually get too hot and freeze. settings to shutdown the system if this occurs are found in most motherboard Bios'es.

Proud owner of the <b>Beige Beast</b> :lol:

sacklinger

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2002
you can check this article <A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/column/01q4/011029/index.html" target="_new">Cooling Off: THG visits AMD</A> on this site, theres also a link to a video that shows what happen when the heatsink is removed, its kinda old but explais how can new motherboards prevent athlons from burning.
also that happens only if the heatsink is COMPLEATLY removed, that never happens , and if the fan suddently stop working any system even the old ones, have shutdown temperature in their bios, that will prevent your cpu to overheat if the fan dies.
On the other hand you can get a Heatsink like the Swiftech MCX462 that goes attached to the mobo, so it wont fell.
Considering all this you should not fear your athlon burning, its performance is like the best P IV, and it cost much cheaper.
I have 4 athlons running myself, and built 10 more systems with this prosessors, never had a problem, not even when the fan stopped, just replaced the fan and everything worked perfectly.

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
Please don't be intimidated. There are a lot of people out there in the gaming world especially who say a lot of things about... a lot of things so if you heard any evidence about processor burn out there then try not to fall into the trap of FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt). What people are saying here is correct. Processors can burn out slowly over time or they can burn out in a matter of 3-5 seconds. Burning out that fast occurs only if you don't have any cooling on your processor whatsoever. Even if your heatsink is improperly attached to the processor, you can still run it. Burning out slowly over time can happen basically if you attach your heatsink improperly. I think some people are still stuck on what happened in the past with AMD processors, so that's why they forget that the Palomino/Thoroughbred is an entirely new line, and dissipates no more wattage than any Intel CPU out there.

I think your friends have every right to be upset about AMD products, especially if one burned out on them. It sucks to lose $100-200. On the other hand, next generation AMD motherboards are going to be required to have thermal protection. Right now, there are only a few mainboards which I know have it. For the KT333 chipset, Asus has it, Soltek has it, and MSI has it. Gigabyte might have it too with their GA-7VRX/P 2.0. I would simply advise you get one of these mainboards rather than going for Intel right away. In the retail sector, Intel is mainly for people who want to overclock. If you buy an Intel and don't overclock, you've wasted your money, because Intel processors cost two times (2x) as much as AMD processors.

In other words, if you are freaked about frying your CPU and <i>possibly</i> wasting all of that money, get one of these boards:

MSI KT3 Ultra 2
MSI 745 Ultra
Asus A7V333
Asus A7S333
SL-75DRV5 (and the one mentioned above if it has overheat protection)

More are being added to the list, as AMD recently made this a necessary requirement for all mainboards. If you buy an AMD processor with one of these mainboards, I guarantee you will have the same exact operating quality as if you were using an Intel system. And if you don't plan on overclocking, it will be much cheaper too. At the end of the day, if you are still worried about processor burn out, go ahead and buy an Intel.

This little cathode light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine!

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Untrue, very untrue. I've had fans blow out a few times, and it's fine (1.2Ghz T-Bird, and it's not the type that's oceable anymore). Also, once my heatsink was improperly attached, and the cpu didn't burn- it simply locked up. I actually startd up comp a few toimes before realizing. It won't burn.

My frog asked me for a straw...dunno what happened his ass all over the place :eek:

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
If the heatsink itself falls off the processor (a highly unlikely occurrence), then the processor is probably going to burn--unless you're using an Asus A7V333 motherboard and have it configured properly. The A7V333 has CPU Overheat Protection (C.O.P.), which in many cases can shut the system down safely, even if the heatsink falls off.
Not to mention the other damage that would occur from a heavy lump of metal being caught by AGP and PCI cards. In that case, I don't think Intel or AMD has any on-die protection from system-wide destruction. You'd probably lose the motherboard (since the socket clips would be gone), the AGP card, the CPU, and possible structural damage to the case and other cards and memory. In other words, if the heatsink falls off, you have a little more to worry about than the CPU burning up.

As to C.O.P. and MSI's solution, those are meant to help in cases of fan failure, but the temp of the core would rise way too quickly for the diode to respond. A P4 would also probably also have thermal damage from no heatsink )as again, the core temp would rise too quickly), though it would be able to eventually throttle itself.

In the end, tell your friends to take a HSF and shove it up their collective ass, as they obviously have no clue about computers. Simply put, modern processors run hot, and require high-performing heatsinks to run stable at a high speed. Intel and AMD are the same damn thing. AMD provides decently clocked procesors for everything but the very high-end (and the differences are debateable, as most people couldn't notice <i>most</i> of them, 'cept that results that are based on time) for a decent price, while Intel offers high clocked processors that cost a bit more, but if you run programs that use SSE2 a lot, its worth the price. Mid-range is owned by AMD, as the price/performance can't be beat, <i>unless</i> you overclock, then you're better off getting Samsung RDRAM and a Intel 1.6A or 1.8A. With the right motherboard, you can lock the AGP/PCI bus speeds, letting you raise the FSB as high as you can. Many can get 2.2GHz or more. The AMDs don't overclock as well anymore.

But, since you don't sound like you'll be overclocking, I'd say go Athlon 1800+ and a KT333 motherboard (I recommend that against my better judgement), with some Crucial PC2100 or PC2700 (the PC2700 will let you overclock the FSB to 166MHz, if you so choose, without having the RAM being the limiting factor).

-SammyBoy

blue_heart

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
If you buy a motherboard with built in thermal protection then you shouldnt be worried about your CPU burning. I only know of 2 motherboards that have this function built in they are made by soltek (I think its the Soltek SR7-DRV but I'm not sure) and Asus. They are both based on the KT333 chipset, if the processor gets too hot the computer turns itself off.

Soltek SL-75DRV5.
Asus, i do not know which one

yes, they turn the computer off when the temp pass's a specific degree

wish if there was UnDo in the life

Hoolio

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2002
There are a lot of people who (how should i put it) lie and claim they have had an AMD burn up on them. There are those also who aren't telling lies but I am sure that if there were really that many AMD CPU's burning up, AMD would not be allowed to sell them.

I have built a fair few systems, I have never had a CPU burn up on me, the heatsink falling off thing is highly unlikely, unless you strap a lump of lead to you processor, or if you plan to jump up and down on the HSF while the pc is in use.
(Actually i am suprise this site hasn't tried that already, look intel HSF can hold the weight of 12 men, AMD only 1 etc...blah blah blah blah).

AMD processors are great value for money, whatever anyone says, it can be off putting when you hear of "stories" I remember building my first PC god I was terrified because of these stories. In truth it is all most of them are, stories.

Just make sure you plug the HSF into the CPU_FAN connector that is all you must remember.

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
Sometimes even stating the facts aren't enough though. Take a look at this <A HREF="http://www.forumplanet.com/planethalflife/topic.asp?fid=1889&tid=723895" target="_new">paranoia</A>.

This little cathode light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine!

Force

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2001
Hoolio: (Actually i am suprise this site hasn't tried that already, look intel HSF can hold the weight of 12 men, AMD only 1 etc...blah blah blah blah).

Jeez, dont giveum any ideas LOL

Insert something witty here! ___________

jtate

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2002
I had a A7V333 with an xp2100+ (1.73ghz)
factory fan Retail everything and it fried on me. I also had two fans in it. It all happened when I put an extra 512mb of ram in it. I had it running with 512 and wanted to up to a gig. I unplugged and shut everything down and then popped in my memory and when I went to turn it back on it would power up but it was like nothing was getting to the monitor. I then took the ram out and tried to get it to work like it was previously and still nothing at all. So maybe I am wrong but it seemed like it was fried to me.

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
your friends are morons... they should be castrated. That way their genes cant be passed on and thereby create more future trailer park trash.

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Those work if it's a "slow" burn-up... but if you have a heat sink clip failure or something like that, the protection won't respond in time to save the CPU.

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Oh yeah, lots of HSF falling down, burned CPU's, ...

Also, AMD CPU aren't protected against 500% voltage raising, fire raining, core nuclear radiation, bullets, rockets, misiles, and elephant dancing on it. Really so bad.

Oh, yes, in case your friends didn't know it, Intel CPU are UNPROTECTED against this "usual" events. Yeah, I also don't understand why both companies don't do these test to ensure CPU quality.

Note: look for another friends for talking about computers.

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!