jharris

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2003
I,m upgrading my motherboard. I have two 5400 rpm drives, is it really worth it to upgrade to a 7400 rpm? I am mainly just surfing the web and using Microsoft office. I am trying to cut as many costs as possible right now but I dont want to upgrade and have my harddrive be the bottleneck.

lunitic

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2003
Depends on what 5400/7200 drives. Generally speaking the HDD isn't a bottleneck when surfing the web or typing in Word. 2x 5400 may even be faster than 1x 7200, if properly set up.

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
Do you have your current hard drives in a RAID array? If so they will probably be faster than a single 7200RPM hard disk. If not then you will notice a speed increase, how much this increase is debatable. For the applications you are using i dont think you will notice much difference. Do you experience much disk threshing at the moment?

Why use windows when you can use doors?

jharris

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2003
I guess I dont know as much as I thought I did. What is RAID? I have a Western Digital WDAC26400 and a Maxtor 90845D4 set up in a master/ slave setup. I have an old MB running 550 mHz. Getting ready to upgrade to a new MB, nothing elaborate, but hopefully somewhat current. I have quite a bit of space on my drives now, not wanting the extra expense of the drive if it won't effect all of the other improvements that I am going to make

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
RAID (or redundant array of inexpensive/independant Disks) can be used either for increased data security or increased speed (or both). You are most likly not using RAID, so you dont need to worry about it. If you are planning on upgrading ur mb and CPU then it is probably a good idea to buy a new hard disk simply because the older ones might cause a bottleneck in your system + hard disk normally dont last much over 3years so it cant hurt to replace ur old ones.

Why use windows when you can use doors?