George_Revolted

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2016
Hello everyone,

Second time posting here, so bear with me if I do something wrong.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R-cgqSkn-PTIhXfFq_h4aEHoQGQ9WZ0H/view?usp=sharing

As you can see in the picture above I am having a problem when trying to run any game. This particular screenshot is from Ghost Recon Breakpoint.
Every 5 seconds or so I am have a huge drop in FPS and GPU usage. This lasts for 3 seconds and after that everything is back to normal, until it happens again :(
I have checked every driver/malware/update/lower graphics solution I could find with no luck. I am starting to think it's a PSU or power related issue.

Could you please help?

PC Specs:
CPU - AMD FX-8350 8core
GPU - NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti
MOBO - AsRock 970 Pro 3
RAM - Patriot Viper 3 16Gb 1600MHz
PSU - Cooler Master G750M rs-750-amaa-b1
CPU FAN - Cooler Master Hyper 212
Win 10 Pro

Last edited:
Solution
About the plugs solution that you mentioned, I have changed places twice since I bought this PC. I had the same problem since day one.

I forgot to mention that my CPU cooler is the COOLER MASTER Hyper 212.
I'll try a top-down cooler and I'll come back to you :D
BTW, I forgot to mention, some MBs have VRM monitoring capability, which can be monitored using HWiNFO64. I did a search however to see if your MB supports it, and found some forum chat saying it doesn't (neither does my ASUS Prime Z370-A). You could run HWiFO64 just to make sure though. The VRM temp is usually listed as VRM MOS in the top portion of the MB monitoring where all the temp monitoring is.

Next time I buy a MB I'm going to make damn sure it has VRM...
Your CPU is barely more than the minimum required Ryzen 3 1200, but your 1050 Ti is below the minimum required GTX 960 (4 GB). According to userbenchmark.com it's about 9% slower.

It's also not surprising it's happening in any game if they are all current games because the CPU is a very old design that was not a good one at all.

That said, a key bit of info you left out was what PSU you're using. You should also be monitoring temp of your CPU as well when benching. Which brings us to what CPU cooler and case you're using if it measures high.

George_Revolted

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2016
What motherboard? Many of the AM3+ boards had problems with 125w CPU’s. What is the gpu temperature when in game?

Hey mate! Thanks for the reply.
The motherboard is the AsRock 970 Pro 3 . It says that is can handle 140W CPU's 🤷‍♂️
I checked the GPU temperatures, cause I suspected thermal throttling, but they are normal at around 65C for the GPU and 55C for the CPU.

George_Revolted

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2016
Your CPU is barely more than the minimum required Ryzen 3 1200, but your 1050 Ti is below the minimum required GTX 960 (4 GB). According to userbenchmark.com it's about 9% slower.

It's also not surprising it's happening in any game if they are all current games because the CPU is a very old design that was not a good one at all.

That said, a key bit of info you left out was what PSU you're using. You should also be monitoring temp of your CPU as well when benching. Which brings us to what CPU cooler and case you're using if it measures high.

Hey bro! Thanks for your reply.
Problem is that the lags are occurring in older titles too, like Tom Clancy's The Division (2016).
The PSU is the Cooler Master G750M.
The temps are normal to around 65C for the GPU and 55C for the CPU.

Hey bro! Thanks for your reply.
Problem is that the lags are occurring in older titles too, like Tom Clancy's The Division (2016).
The PSU is the Cooler Master G750M.
The temps are normal to around 65C for the GPU and 55C for the CPU.
Well I'm not a big fan of CM PSUs, but that one is rated pretty well. Have you tried plugging the PC into other outlets to see if you are not getting stable voltage in the one you're using? Too many devices plugged into the same household circuit can also cause problems.

After further checking though, it appears sizzling is right about AM3+ MBs having heat issues with some CPUs. It's mostly due to VRMs being weak and overheating, which is probably why you're not seeing temp issues as most users only monitor CPU and GPU temps.

According to a solution right here on Tom's with someone asking if the MB you're using is compatible with an FX-8350, the manual for the AsRock 970 Pro 3 states (and note it applies to a range of TDPs). "* For cooling the CPU and its surrounding components, please install a CPU cooler with a top-down blowing design".

Source: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...black-edition-vishera-8-core-4-0-ghz.2873173/

Source: https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970 Pro3/index.asp#CPU

More and more gamers are becoming aware of many MB manufacturers going cheap with VRMs, and they're about as important as the PSU is. So hopefully eventually manufacturers will get responsible and realize they cannot shortcut these components without steering away buyers. RESEARCH you parts well on forums with knowledgeable experts on such things before buying.

Last edited:

George_Revolted

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2016
Well I'm not a big fan of CM PSUs, but that one is rated pretty well. Have you tried plugging the PC into other outlets to see if you are not getting stable voltage in the one you're using? Too many devices plugged into the same household circuit can also cause problems.

After further checking though, it appears sizzling is right about AM3+ MBs having heat issues with some CPUs. It's mostly due to VRMs being weak and overheating, which is probably why you're not seeing temp issues as most users only monitor CPU and GPU temps.

According to a solution right here on Tom's with someone asking if the MB you're using is compatible with an FX-8350, the manual for the AsRock 970 Pro 3 states (and note it applies to a range of TDPs). "* For cooling the CPU and its surrounding components, please install a CPU cooler with a top-down blowing design".

Source: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...black-edition-vishera-8-core-4-0-ghz.2873173/

Source: https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970 Pro3/index.asp#CPU

More and more gamers are becoming aware of many MB manufacturers going cheap with VRMs, and they're about as important as the PSU is. So hopefully eventually manufacturers will get responsible and realize they cannot shortcut these components without steering away buyers. RESEARCH you parts well on forums with knowledgeable experts on such things before buying.

About the plugs solution that you mentioned, I have changed places twice since I bought this PC. I had the same problem since day one.

BTW, I forgot to mention, some MBs have VRM monitoring capability, which can be monitored using HWiNFO64. I did a search however to see if your MB supports it, and found some forum chat saying it doesn't (neither does my ASUS Prime Z370-A). You could run HWiFO64 just to make sure though. The VRM temp is usually listed as VRM MOS in the top portion of the MB monitoring where all the temp monitoring is.

Next time I buy a MB I'm going to make damn sure it has VRM monitoring built in, especially with all the crap VRMs being used on many of the more affordable MBs.

And yeah, definitely get a top down CPU cooler. Any time you see a footnote like that under supported CPUs, it must be taken seriously!

Solution