[SOLVED] Dual booting W10 and W7 with TPM and BitLocker

wiktor.nowak05

Reputable
Nov 5, 2017
Hello, so i want to dual boot windows 10 and windows 7 on my primary rig. i want to use windows 7 for legacy phone rooting, legacy iphones and just for older devices i own. Problem is that i am afraid to lose my data if i install windows 7. I have integrated tpm 2.0 enabled in my asus bios, motherboard: asus maximus xi extreme. I also have bitlocker enabled on my data drive, it is a western digital 1tb drive used only for personal files. Windows 10 is installed on 1tb ssd and has bitlocker turned off. The windows 7 system is going to be installed on a different 128gb ssd. Question is, will i be able to access the data drive from windows 7? And do i have to enter a password each time i boot to enter either os? And if i install windows 7 will the tpm or bitlocker be triggered making my data unusable? I do not know which category to post this in so just correct me :)

Solution
Hello, so i want to dual boot windows 10 and windows 7 on my primary rig. i want to use windows 7 for legacy phone rooting, legacy iphones and just for older devices i own. Problem is that i am afraid to lose my data if i install windows 7. I have integrated tpm 2.0 enabled in my asus bios, motherboard: asus maximus xi extreme. I also have bitlocker enabled on my data drive, it is a western digital 1tb drive used only for personal files. Windows 10 is installed on 1tb ssd and has bitlocker turned off. The windows 7 system is going to be installed on a different 128gb ssd. Question is, will i be able to access the data drive from windows 7? And do i have to enter a password each time i boot to enter either os? And if i install...
Hello, so i want to dual boot windows 10 and windows 7 on my primary rig. i want to use windows 7 for legacy phone rooting, legacy iphones and just for older devices i own. Problem is that i am afraid to lose my data if i install windows 7. I have integrated tpm 2.0 enabled in my asus bios, motherboard: asus maximus xi extreme. I also have bitlocker enabled on my data drive, it is a western digital 1tb drive used only for personal files. Windows 10 is installed on 1tb ssd and has bitlocker turned off. The windows 7 system is going to be installed on a different 128gb ssd. Question is, will i be able to access the data drive from windows 7? And do i have to enter a password each time i boot to enter either os? And if i install windows 7 will the tpm or bitlocker be triggered making my data unusable? I do not know which category to post this in so just correct me :)
If you are using a separate ssd for windows 7 it shouldn't mess with the other drives for the most part... he's you will need to enter your password for the boot portion that's locked but windows 7 won't be locked... as for access your files from windows 7 it Honestly all depends on you and your lay out how you use the pc and have it set up most of the time yes you can access files from one windows to another if the drive is locked though you still will need the password

Solution

wiktor.nowak05

Reputable
Nov 5, 2017
If you are using a separate ssd for windows 7 it shouldn't mess with the other drives for the most part... he's you will need to enter your password for the boot portion that's locked but windows 7 won't be locked... as for access your files from windows 7 it Honestly all depends on you and your lay out how you use the pc and have it set up most of the time yes you can access files from one windows to another if the drive is locked though you still will need the password
OK thank you so much, so I don't have to enter the password to either os when only the data drive is bit locked? Kinda noob question, sorry😅

wiktor.nowak05

Reputable
Nov 5, 2017
If you already have the Win 10 installed, install the Win 7 with ONLY that desired drive connected.
Select which one to boot from when you power up.

Win 7 speaks BitLocker, so it should, in theory, be able to access that same shared volume.
Hello again, i have this problem with unplugging the nvme drive as in the way it is connected. The hdd's were easy to just disconnect but the nvme ssd is behind a heatsink plate thats behind my gpu, so it will take some effort to get it out so i was wondering if i could disable it from the bios? My mbu is asus maximus xi extreme

USAFRet

Titan
Hello again, i have this problem with unplugging the nvme drive as in the way it is connected. The hdd's were easy to just disconnect but the nvme ssd is behind a heatsink plate thats behind my gpu, so it will take some effort to get it out so i was wondering if i could disable it from the bios? My mbu is asus maximus xi extreme
Disabling a drive or connection may or may not be available in your BIOS.
You'll have to look around.

Personally, physical disconnection is the thing for me.

And either way, a known good full drive backup is needed. Just in case.

wiktor.nowak05

Reputable
Nov 5, 2017
Hello again, so today I went ahead and disconnected every drive but not the one where i want to install windows 7 on. After i did that i plugged my bootable uefi windows 7 64-bit version in the front panel usb and entered bios upon startup and selected the usb drive as boot drive. Everything fine to this point, but unfortunately as the pc was booting from the usb stick, showing that windows is loading files and showing the windows 7 logo something went wrong. The pc is bootlooping on the windows 7 logo, when the bar that loads windows files is complete and moves onto loading windows 7 logo the pc just power cycles, like pressing the reset switch. No idea what this could be. I went ahead and diabled tpm and it just keeps happening:(

Hello again, so today I went ahead and disconnected every drive but not the one where i want to install windows 7 on. After i did that i plugged my bootable uefi windows 7 64-bit version in the front panel usb and entered bios upon startup and selected the usb drive as boot drive. Everything fine to this point, but unfortunately as the pc was booting from the usb stick, showing that windows is loading files and showing the windows 7 logo something went wrong. The pc is bootlooping on the windows 7 logo, when the bar that loads windows files is complete and moves onto loading windows 7 logo the pc just power cycles, like pressing the reset switch. No idea what this could be. I went ahead and diabled tpm and it just keeps happening:(
Was the second drive you want windows 7 installed on a m.2? If so try the other port. If not remake the bootable usb it may have a bug Ithe boot order

wiktor.nowak05

Reputable
Nov 5, 2017
Was the second drive you want windows 7 installed on a m.2? If so try the other port. If not remake the bootable usb it may have a bug Ithe boot order
Windows 10 is installed on a m.2 drive which i unplugged during the installation, same with the other 2 hdds. The only drive that was connected was the ssd i want to install windows 7 on.