Question Dual Xeon custom build not working!

Jul 27, 2019
I'd recently come across a xw6600 motherboard from my friend and had been buying parts to make a dual xeon system. I had put everything together and pressed the power button, but the fans only spun for a split second then turn off? I'm thinking that it is a cpu issue since the motherboard light will turn on and the fans connected to the board will start spinning! It could also be the ram, but I have no way of testing these parts individually and have called multiple repair places to see if they did and they didn't either. I've tried using a different power supply it did the same thing and running the other power supply the system had done the same thing.

The only things I think could be wrong is that the cpu or ram is dead or since the board's manufacturer set something in where the cpu fans not being plugged directly into the motherboard won't allow it to boot. The cpu isn't listed as being compatible with this motherboard, but has the exact same socket just different wattage and others online have claimed that their system works with these parts. I can include pictures if needed!

Jul 27, 2019
Look in the manual. Some of these server motherboards have a required sequence for installing memory. See if your memory is installed correctly.

Also list makes and models of all parts.
I don't think it would need a sequence because all the ram slots are filled on my build and the ram is specifically made for the motherboard.

List of parts:
xw6600 Motherboard
8x4gb DDR2 667mhz
2x Xeon x5460
Evga gtx 660 2gb
2x WD blue 640gb
750w evga

Last edited: