Question Dumb kid (Me) about to slave away (Get a job and work for dozens of hours with overtime) to get a computer. In DESPERATE need of direction and advice

Jun 13, 2024
Alright, I'll make this brief and blunt; as stated, I am a 16-year-old teenager with plans to attentively work a summertime, part-time job and save up to buy a computer. This aside, however, I have NO IDEA what to do and how to go about doing it, hence why the phrasing for all of this is atrocious (Apologies for that). I have done dozens of hours of research now, and I have a slightly greater grasp of the terminology and process of computers and their fundamentals, though still very minimal. Which is ironic, considering what I'm trying to do could potentially set me back hundreds of dollars and hours of life.

As for what I'm looking for: A budget computer that can handle vector/image editing and moderate gaming. Basically, I'm looking for something that can run Adobe products and let me play Batman: Arkham Origins (For clarification, I always play games on low settings, so gaming performance isn't necessary for me). My budget basically set to any option/route that is under $800~ by the time it's got and/or everything is done. Most preferably, under $500~, but again, I'm willing to work, but I'd prefer to save money and save my brain from working to the bone.

As to how I was going to go about this: At first, I was just thinking about buying a budget prebuilt, and upgrading whatever I feel needs it, like buying a Dell Optiplex and doing one of those 'sleeper Optiplex' builds, or, more simply, just buying a budget prebuilt from Amazon and giving it whatever it needs. At second, I was considering building an entire desktop tower from scratch, hence the hours of research.

So, here I am, asking adults to help me not financially cripple myself (please and thanks)! Don't be afraid to explain things to me like I'm 5; it would honestly be preferred right now.

TL;DR, I'm a stupid, inexperienced kid. Please, help me not go broke with buying a computer with suggestions. I just want to further my ability to make cool designs and play Batman for and with whatever is cheapest and safest to obtain. Also, I live in rural New Jersey, if that's important.

Do you have to buy a monitor and Windows in that 500 to 800 dollar budget?

Below a certain price point, it becomes increasingly difficult to beat a pre-built on price. What price point?? I'd guess maybe 500 excluding monitor.

Unless you are willing to buy used. Are you?

Legit Windows is probably 100 or more. You can take whatever chances you want if you see it at a lower price. It's nearly always included in a pre-built.

Pre-builts are likely to be more difficult to upgrade later on piece by piece if you have any interest in that in the future. Maybe you don't and are more or less willing to consider this thing as an appliance...use it till it breaks and then replace it entirely. As if it were a waffle iron or cheap-ish TV set.

Reactions: Why_Me and PEnns
Jun 13, 2024
Do you have to buy a monitor and Windows in that 500 to 800 dollar budget?

Below a certain price point, it becomes increasingly difficult to beat a pre-built on price. What price point?? I'd guess maybe 500 excluding monitor.

Unless you are willing to buy used. Are you?

Legit Windows is probably 100 or more. You can take whatever chances you want if you see it at a lower price. It's nearly always included in a pre-built.

Pre-builts are likely to be more difficult to upgrade later on piece by piece if you have any interest in that in the future. Maybe you don't.
Oh, right. Probably should've been more elaborate than just rambling. Sorry!

Again, as stated, I'm basically willing to buy whatever. For clarification, I have no experience, no actual hardware or software, little technical knowledge, and everything I'm hoping to get is literally just items in my Amazon cart! I do have one monitor and one keyboard in my cart, though, if that's at all applicable;

https://a.co/d/jjVqrNH

https://a.co/d/7SK5c7S

At your budget, I certainly would NOT spend 28 on a keyboard.

A standard wired Logitech is 12.

There's a lot of difference between 500 and 800 budget. If you are locked into 500 and want new only, you are likely better off with a pre-built...........despite its limitations. A monitor and legit Windows alone will be at least 200.

A 500 dollar prebuilt isn't likely to include a monitor, but would include Windows.

Reactions: Lucky_SLS
Jun 13, 2024
At your budget, I certainly would NOT spend 28 on a keyboard.

A standard wired Logitech is 12.

There's a lot of difference between 500 and 800 budget. If you are locked into 500 and want new only, you are likely better off with a pre-built...........despite its limitations. A monitor and legit Windows alone will be at least 200.

A 500 dollar prebuilt isn't likely to include a monitor, but would include Windows.
Well, I guess to be within best etimation, I'd set my budget within a solid $600. I'm willing to buy anything - new or used, as well as any upgrades as I can for it. I am planning on buying a desktop and monitor separately - both of which I have neither of right now, for specification!

I see Intel recent generation pre-built PC with i3 CPUs beginning at maybe 450.

PCs with i5 CPUs begin at maybe 500.

All without monitors; all with Windows.

Look at Newegg or maybe Amazon pre-builts from Dell, Lenovo, Asus, HP within your budget. Newegg has a good sorting system.

None of them are ideal. None of them are likely to be easily upgraded in the future. But you have a budget.

The alternative is the used market in your local area. I have NO idea what is available to you. Buying used takes a major leap of faith......but you have a budget.

Ideally....wait till you have maybe 800 instead of 600. Maybe you are unwilling?

Jun 13, 2024
I see Intel recent generation pre-built PC with i3 CPUs beginning at maybe 450.

PCs with i5 CPUs begin at maybe 500.

All without monitors; all with Windows.

Look at Newegg or maybe Amazon pre-builts from Dell, Lenovo, Asus, HP within your budget. Newegg has a good sorting system.

None of them are ideal. None of them are likely to be easily upgraded in the future. But you have a budget.

The alternative is the used market in your local area. I have NO idea what is available to you. Buying used takes a major leap of faith......but you have a budget.

Ideally....wait till you have maybe 800 instead of 600. Maybe you are unwilling?
Well, can I get if I have $800? I'm open for any and all suggestions.

Isn't building a PC more cost-effective than buying a prebuilt? That's kinda why I considered doing and learning it in the first place.

Main advantage of 800 is that it MIGHT be feasible to build it yourself at that budget...which would be very unlikely at 600 if you want new only.

I wouldn't get in an uproar about it now when your budget is unclear. Wait till the money is at hand and you have a known firm budget. That might be at the end of the summer??

Here's an approximation of parts cost for a cheap Intel build.

Case; 50
Motherboard 100
RAM; 50 to 75
Cooler; probably 0, use cooler supplied with CPU; if not, 30
Power supply; 75
Monitor; 125?
Windows 100?
Video card; ??; maybe 0, using integrated graphics found on CPU

That's about 500 bare minimum.

Plus

CPU; recent generation Intel i3 ori5: 100 on up, maybe as much as 200 or more?

So...600 to 700 minimum. If you can't spend that and still demand new, I'd think about pre-builts.

You might be able to do better with an AMD build?

Not sure if your budget will accommodate all "Adobe products". I use only basic Photoshop.

Isn't building a PC more cost-effective than buying a prebuilt? That's kinda why I considered doing and learning it in the first place.
Not on a very low budget. That's where you are.

The higher the budget, the better off you are building yourself....both because it would be cheaper and because you get to specify each individual part rather than take the possibly questionable stuff in a cheap or even mid-level prebuilt.

Jun 13, 2024
Not on a very low budget. That's where you are.

The higher the budget, the better off you are building yourself....both because it would be cheaper and because you get to specify each individual part rather than take the possibly questionable stuff in a cheap or even mid-level prebuilt.
Are the prebuilts on Newegg upgradeable at all?

Jun 13, 2024
At all??

Yes. But likely limited.

You should be able to upgrade drives and RAM no problem. CPU to some extent.

Other parts less likely.
That's perfect for me, actually. I'm looking not only to get a new PC, but actually gain some degree of experience of the inner-workings of computers. I think I can handle moving around RAMs and drives well! I did a bit of research and I know most of the info resources to help out with that.

Any good Newegg budget gaming PCs that can be upgraded a bit that you can think of? Maybe even link?

That's perfect for me, actually. I'm looking not only to get a new PC, but actually gain some degree of experience of the inner-workings of computers. I think I can handle moving around RAMs and drives well! I did a bit of research and I know most of the info resources to help out with that.

Any good Newegg budget gaming PCs that can be upgraded a bit that you can think of? Maybe even link?
"Budget" and "gaming" don't go well together in the same sentence.

"Gaming" beyond a basic level means you need a video card....which can add hundreds or even 1000 to your budget.

Depends(???) What do you have in mind?

My inclination:

If you want to build it yourself from new parts with the possibility of later upgrading the internal parts, wait until you have a minimum of 800. Or maybe more if you need a video card. I have no idea about gaming requirements.

If I could add 50 a month to the budget, I would wait and stockpile more money. Maybe you refuse to wait. That's your call; a personal decision.

Otherwise, I wouldn't do much at all until within a week of actually buying....you can graze around Newegg getting a feel for prices if you want.

Jun 13, 2024
My inclination:

If you want to build it yourself from new parts with the possibility of later upgrading the internal parts, wait until you have a minimum of 800. Or maybe more if you need a video card. I have no idea about gaming requirements.

If I could add 50 a month to the budget, I would wait and stockpile more money. Maybe you refuse to wait. That's your call; a personal decision.

Otherwise, I wouldn't do much at all until within a week of actually buying....you can graze around Newegg getting a feel for prices if you want.
Honestly, this interaction has enlightened me a bit, and I've been searching around a few places. In conclusion, I think what I'm looking for is a Dell XPS or, to save a bit on money if I can't find a good deal on an XPS, an Optiplex. I think I basically got myself figured out - I don't need a whole gaming rig for what I need like I thought I did!

As anticlimactic as this was, it was kinda widening, in a weird way. This is basically solved for me. Have a great night! I appreciate the talk!

Reactions: Lafong
Pre-builts will charge you way too much for upgrades like a larger hard drive or more RAM. It is ridiculous what they want for going from 16 gb to 32 gb of RAM or from a 500 GB SSD to a 2 TB SSD. Ridiculous.

The only way out of that is to build it yourself. XPS are pretty good machines, but 1500 dollars on an XPS could be built for less yourself using the same quality or better parts. At 800 or 1000 dollars its closer to a standoff, but I don't think you can get many XPS for under 1000??? I haven't checked in a while.

An Optiplex is pretty much a commodity...cheap, often OK for a low level business machine; an appliance. Skinny case; very basic cooling and power supply,