Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
I noticed a few days ago that on my GPU ventilation holes from the back of the card I have something that seems either dust or rust but i am not sure wich one . I tried to somehow clean it , but using a ear cotton or a paper like I did it´s hard to clean it because it´s hard to reach there this way , but I think cleaned something but not all .
I will leave some images of the back of the gpu .

Solution
I am not seeing rust.

Rust could interfere with connectivity (resistance) and eventually cause problems.

Generally that occurs (in any situation or environment) when the base material becomes rusted to the point of degradation and collapse. E.g. a very rusty nail.....

That said, I have no problems with other observations regarding your GPU.

My end thought: " if nothing is broken don't fix it."

Simply keep an eye on it and clean the computer when dust builds up.
Hard to say to be honest, im split 50/50 dust or oxidation.
If you can get something like a paint brush or something else in there to rummage around it may give you your answer.

If you brush it off and theres paint under it, its dust, if it brushes off to bare metal (or never brushes off) probably oxidation.

It dosent look bad either way though.

Reactions: Rui Neves

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
Hard to say to be honest, im split 50/50 dust or oxidation.
If you can get something like a paint brush or something else in there to rummage around it may give you your answer.

If you brush it off and theres paint under it, its dust, if it brushes off to bare metal (or never brushes off) probably oxidation.

It dosent look bad either way though.
it looks any better now ?
I tried with the paint brush and some a bit harder paper than before , doesn´t know if it is the right way but I tried .
the images here :

Ralston18

Titan
ContactTechnical Support and ask about cleaning to remove dust from fins etc..

I had an older GPU that opened like a clam shell for cleaning out dust and debris.

Lots of cleaning info on the internet. Do not do any of that.

Instead, contact the manufacturer and ask.

See if they will provide any cleaning information and confirm that cleaning will not void any warranties.

Dirt, dust, debris trap heat. Heat is an enemy of electronics. Cooling and cleaning are mandatory.

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
ContactTechnical Support and ask about cleaning to remove dust from fins etc..

I had an older GPU that opened like a clam shell for cleaning out dust and debris.

Lots of cleaning info on the internet. Do not do any of that.

Instead, contact the manufacturer and ask.

See if they will provide any cleaning information and confirm that cleaning will not void any warranties.

Dirt, dust, debris trap heat. Heat is an enemy of electronics. Cooling and cleaning are mandatory.

Well the warranty was void before because I had to RMA the card due thermal issues and the brand said that have to pay all the cost on shippings ,so I went to a store and asked if the chip was a issue , and was not so they only changed the thermal paste and it's working untill now with 75 to 76°c on unigine heaven benchmark . So I was only afraid that could be some rust and that rust could damage the GPU in some time .
I know that have some dust on other parts on computer but nothing extreme that make my conputer heat too much at least I think so by my knowledge and the internet opinions .

Btw my computer temps under full load on really stressfull benchmarks like the one I said are like : 55°c on cpu , 35 °c on MB and 75°c on my GPU .

I take care about my computer , sometimes even a little paranoid about it .
In case of being rust it can damage the card if it is oy on the place it is now ?

Ralston18

Titan
I am not seeing rust.

Rust could interfere with connectivity (resistance) and eventually cause problems.

Generally that occurs (in any situation or environment) when the base material becomes rusted to the point of degradation and collapse. E.g. a very rusty nail.....

Reactions: Rui Neves
Solution

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
I am not seeing rust.

Thanks so nothing to worry right ?