Question Electrical, High Pitched Noise coming from somewhere the motherboard, it gets better with disabling idle processor state. What can cause this?

Aug 2, 2020
Dear All!

So I purchased a new pair of cans recently (HD600) with headphone amp.

As I turned it on a noise became audible while adjusting the volume. It was so familiar. Then it hit me. It was the exact noise that I was constantly hearing from my PC. It has never really bothered me until this point. But from this point I just cannot unheard it anymore, it just keeps annoying me and cannot use my PC happily nor my headphones as the noise is constantly there.

It gets transferred through the headphone jack. I tried the headphone out with other PC-s and laptops, there is absolutely no noise, just silence, tried it out with heavily noise laptops, still complete silence.

Okay. Tried out ferrite beads. No use. Lets get an audio interface then. Same story. Now it gets transferred through the USB. If I just press the usb to the usb on the motherboard or on the case it gets transferred, I should not even plug It in. Okay, then maybe it Is a ground loop. I plugged the PC and the other stuff into all the sockets in the house, including the ones in the bathroom, which should be absolutely grounded properly, still no difference.

At this moment I started to think that the problem is with the components in the PC. Okay, lets tear it apart. I pulled out USB cables etc. No difference. Tried all the USB-s, no difference. Stopped and unplugged the fans, still nothing, whine still there. It does not seem to come from the GPU . Under load, it is still the same noise, not louder, not quieter. I stopped GPU fans. No use. I unplugged everything except CPU and GPU, the noise is still there. I took the motherboard out of the case, and the PSU too, started it on the top of a cardboard box. Noise still there.

Okay, then even it is not possible it is the motherboard. The RAM cannot produce it. The CPU cannot produce it, right? So it is either the GPU (which I think is not), or the PSU ( but the noise is not coming from there). I looked for hours on the web. Found a forum where people disabled C states in Bios. Did that. No use, or just a tad bit quieter, not sure, but almost nothing. Okay, then more search, searched for hours again. Found a forum where one disabled idle processor state in power management in windows, with a registry setting. And after so many hours the noise disappeared. No more whine, no noise, just silence. Or to be frank almost silence. I listened so long I cannot really tell, but it seems it is still there just very very quiet, almost inaudible. Anyhow, it is not a problem at that level. However, one cannot leave it disabled, the usage increases with 40-50 watts and also the temps are increasing. However, what one can deduct from this? If disabling idle state then it should be related to voltage or something similar so it should be the motherboard (v.r.m etc.) or the CPU somehow. It seems that low load causes it, or something similar. Or at least that was what I was thinking. As when I took everything out the GPU seemed kind of silent and the PSU too, it seemed to come from the CPU area or something around that.

You can listen to the noise there. One is from the PC itself, one is from the headphone amp, the exact same noise.

View: https://soundcloud.com/user-270590167/sets/zajok-feat-noises/s-6DqJuWe08Sv

If I scroll in BIOS it is even louder. Disabling Idle Processor lowers the noise.

Check this:

https://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/6112/z390-aorus-master-strange-noise

same sound, guy changed PSU, Removed fans, removed GPU and he says it is still there.

____

Few days later, I got a new motherboard (Z490) with a matching CPU. I was so happy, problem should be gone by now. I put it together, started the machine and coil whine is still there. If I move the mouse it changes with it, if I drag staff on the screen it whines, it is constantly there. It changed a bit with the motherboard change but technically the same noise or very similar.

At this point I am kind of losing my nerves. Nothing seems to solve the problem. I need your help.

What it makes you think that even after the CPU and Motherboard change the noise persists? Why it disappears after disabling idle processor in power management? What is the connection between all of these.

The only thing I did not replaced is the PSU and the GPU. And if it put my ear or either they seem quiet. (Also there is no hard drives, the ssds, case etc stayed but I unplugged them before and the noise persisted so those are not the problem.)

What can I do? Anyone ever seen such thing? I literally cannot get past it, and has no clue how to proceed as the replacement parts did nothing to stop it. It is audible with my ears also, without headphones or anything.

Please help me out!

Ralston18

Titan
Try using a cardboard tube or even a rolled up sheet of paper to carefully listen around the inside of your computer.

Listen to the every component especially the PSU when it is under load.

"Aim" the tube and do so from various angles. Scan the motherboard overall.

Locating the source of the noise is the key objective.

Reactions: azteke
Aug 2, 2020
Addition:

CPU: 9700k and 10600k currently

Motherboard: Z390 Aorus Pro with 9700k and now the Z490 MAG Unify with 10600k

GPU: MSI 2070 Super Gaming X Trio

SSD: 860 EVO Samsung

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 2x8GB

PSU: Corsair RM650X ( around 1 year old)

Chassis: Fractal Design R6

Fans: Case fans from Fractal Design
CPU Fan: Noctua D15

Aug 2, 2020
Try using a cardboard tube or even a rolled up sheet of paper to carefully listen around the inside of your computer.

Listen to the every component especially the PSU when it is under load.

"Aim" the tube and do so from various angles. Scan the motherboard overall.

Locating the source of the noise is the key objective.

Thanks for the fast answer.

I did it many times with a rolled tube. Hard to locate. I even put the GPU to the last PCIE slot. Still it is kind of coming from everywhere. Sometimes I think GPU sometimes I think CPU but in the 80% of the cases it seems coming from the CPU area. However as I have a Noctua D15 CPU Cooler it is hard to precisely pinpoint where the noise coming from. I also recorded with phone, it seemed to come from around the CPU. I took out the entire PSU and I am 100% sure it is not coming from it. I put that on the table very far from the PC itself and it was silent. I does not imply it cannot cause it somehow but the unit itself it positively quiet not like the motherboard.