Wolfshadw

Titan
I have a home theater PC which consists of a Gigabyte GA-965GM-S2 motherboard (with COAX digital out as well as analog out) and a BGears B-Enspire sound card with TOSLink Optical and analog out. The PC is connected to an Onkyo HT-S3200. How can I get audio from both the sound card and the onboard sound simultaneously? How about from both optical and analog from the sound card alone? If not, what about COAX digital and analog from the motherboard alone?

Any other required, pertinent info, I'll gladly provide

-Wolf sends

Windows doesn't like using two different outputs (let alone output devices) at the same time, although it CAN be done. Some apps allow you to manually set the output device, so in theory, you can have different programs output to different devices, but driver conflicts and the lack of programs that allow this functionallity makes this hard to do.

Likewise, you can easily switch between a sound cards analog/digital outputs through the driver control panel, but you can't output both at the same time.

What is it you are trying to accomplish anyway?

Wolfshadw

Titan
As I mentioned, I've got the PC hooked up to my Onkyo HT-S3200 via optical. It has an A/+B switch. The PC is also hooked up to my HDTV and my projector. When I'm watching the HDTV, I want audio to come out the B channel (2.0) on the receiver. When watching the projector, I want audio to come out the A channel (5.1). The reason being, my living room is set up with the HDTV in a North/South orientation whereas the Projector is set up in an East/West orientation.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
Something like this:

soundconfig.jpg

Wolfshadw

Titan
Ok.

So I'm REALLY not wanting to go this route, but if it's my only alternative...

What I'm thinking of is buying a TOSLink coupler like this one to split the digital output from my PC. Toss in a couple more TOSLink cables and a set of Logitech Z-5500 speakers to add to my Onkyo HT-S3200 and I should be good, right?

Trust me. I definitely did NOT want to drop another $400 into this resolution, so if ANYONE has a better idea other than doing a manual switch (which I can't seem to get working anyway), I'm all ears!

-Wolf sends