mjwhelan

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
Hi All,

My desktop PC in the past 3 months has picked up an odd Ethernet connection issue which I have temporarily resolved by using a USB wifi dongle, but this is causing ping/latency issues.

PC's connection via Ethernet cable directly into the Virgin Media Hub 3.0 has recently become throttled from 100+Mbps download and 10Mbps upload to a varying speed between 25-70Mbps download and 0.5-0.9Mbps upload. Connection by Ethernet cable is also intermittently cutting out around every 10 minutes. I have tried changing Ethernet cables several times and all of the ports on the Virgin Media Hub 3.0 none of which has helped. When using Wifi I am getting 90Mbps download and 5Mbps upload, the PC and Hub are directly beside each other. Speed tests recorded by Ookla Speedtest.

My only other device (smart TV) connected by Ethernet via a powerline adapter isn't suffering from the same issue. I have tried connecting the PC via powerline adapter but the issue remained, so I am relatively confident the issue is with the PC not the Virgin Media Hub 3.0.

PC Specs:
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Ryzen 5 3600
Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming (Apparently Rev 1.xx if that means anything useful)
16gb DDR4 Crucial Ballistix RGB BL2K8G32C16U4BL 3200 MHz
Nvidia Gigabyte GTX 1660 Super OC 6gb
Corsair CX500 500W semi-modular ATX 80 PLUS Bronze PSU
250gb SSD
1tb HDD

ISP is Virgin Media on the M100 Fibre Broadband plan. The Ethernet cable is connected directly to the motherboards Ethernet port to the Virgin Media Hub 3.0 ports. I have kept my Asus motherboard drivers (including LAN) up to date but this hasn't made any difference at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if there is any further information needed that would help.

Many thanks,

MJW

Solution
Check you computer to ensure that only one network adapter (either wired or wireless as desired) is enabled.

Not both (or more than one) at the same time.

How old is the PSU? One consideration is that it may be starting to falter and is not always able to provide the necessary power to various components including network adapters.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, or even informational events that correspond with the times that network connections are lost or slowed.

Ralston18

Titan
Check you computer to ensure that only one network adapter (either wired or wireless as desired) is enabled.

Not both (or more than one) at the same time.

How old is the PSU? One consideration is that it may be starting to falter and is not always able to provide the necessary power to various components including network adapters.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, or even informational events that correspond with the times that network connections are lost or slowed.

Solution