Question Ethernet crashes when friend joins Minecraft server

LeInfiniti

Commendable
Aug 26, 2020
On a whim decided to set up a modded Minecraft server to play with a friend. Ports seem to be forwarded correctly because they are able to join the server, but very shortly after doing so, my ethernet will crash. The adapter cannot be disabled, and upon trying to run troubleshooter it hangs indefinitely.

Only way to fix it is with a reboot, and the issue is 100% replicateable. I haven't had this issue at all before, which is quite weird. I hosted a Dyson Sphere Program server around a month ago and that seemed to work perfectly fine, and I've also hosted Minecraft servers on the same mobo in the past with no issues.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot or what tests to run to get more info for you guys?

Specs:
  • Windows 10
  • Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX
  • AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • Gigabyte RTX 3060Ti
  • 4x8GB DDR4-3600 RAM
  • Corsair RM750x White PSU
I've had the motherboard for 2 or 3 years now, and have issues with USB power cutting out intermittently, and also had to disable XMP a few months ago because my computer suddenly started BSoD'ing on boot with it turned on. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the main culprit. I've done some looking around online about this issue and saw a lot of people talking about a faulty ethernet adapter that will disable as a safety measure if it gets overloaded from outside traffic, does this sound like it might be what's going on? Or just general board starting to fail altogether?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:
I assume since you can attempt to run stuff like the troubleshooter the machine will respond to commands and you can look at stuff. I assume you can for example stop and maybe restart the minecraft server code even if it does not connect ?
Hard to say what the troubleshooter is doing, be nice if it listed the commands it was trying as it did them.

Do you see any errors in the event viewer.

Can you do simple commands like IPCONFIG /all. Is the ethernet port in a disabled state or does it appear active with proper IP etc. If it looks good what happens if you attempt to ping the router IP.

I have never heard of a ethernet port that will disable itself because of traffic. Sounds like a bad idea since you could use it as denial of service attack on any network you got local access to.

So the first thing I found when I went to check if you had 2.5 or 1gbit was they bundle CFOSspeed with that motherboard. That program causes all kinds of strange issue, never heard of it hang the machine but I would uninstall that software.

It is unfortunate that forcing the failure isn't a little more simple. If for example you could boot a USB linux image that also had a issue you could suspect a hardware issue.

In any case a pcie ethernet port is pretty inexpensive.

LeInfiniti

Commendable
Aug 26, 2020
I assume since you can attempt to run stuff like the troubleshooter the machine will respond to commands and you can look at stuff. I assume you can for example stop and maybe restart the minecraft server code even if it does not connect ?
Hard to say what the troubleshooter is doing, be nice if it listed the commands it was trying as it did them.

Do you see any errors in the event viewer.

Can you do simple commands like IPCONFIG /all. Is the ethernet port in a disabled state or does it appear active with proper IP etc. If it looks good what happens if you attempt to ping the router IP.

I have never heard of a ethernet port that will disable itself because of traffic. Sounds like a bad idea since you could use it as denial of service attack on any network you got local access to.

So the first thing I found when I went to check if you had 2.5 or 1gbit was they bundle CFOSspeed with that motherboard. That program causes all kinds of strange issue, never heard of it hang the machine but I would uninstall that software.

It is unfortunate that forcing the failure isn't a little more simple. If for example you could boot a USB linux image that also had a issue you could suspect a hardware issue.

In any case a pcie ethernet port is pretty inexpensive.

I don't see any program or process called CFOSspeed on my computer, so I don't think it ever got installed on mine. Like I said, the issue only occurs when my friend joins, not when I join my own locally hosted server, so can't exactly replicate the issue until they get on to play lol. I'll make sure to try again once they do, and see what ipconfig says as well as a router ping.

There's a good chance a PCIe ethernet adapter would fix this issue, but since I'm having other mobo problems, I'd rather just not spend that and get a new mobo instead.

Do you think it could possibly be a RAM issue somehow? I do admittedly have two separate RAM kits bought 1-2 years apart, even though I tried my best to get the same brand, model, speed, and timings. I've had the second kit installed for a year now, and I didn't have any issues at all until my computer started BSoD'ing a few months ago with XMP enabled.

get something like memtest86 and let it run for a while. People use it to test when they change timing settings but it will find bad memory in general./

Bad memory though mostly causes either performance issues or crashes.

I am not real strong in motherboard troubleshooting so I don't know if there are any tools that will give you a clue what is wrong.

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"Ports seem to be forwarded correctly because they are able to join the server, but very shortly after doing so, my ethernet will crash. "

I will add the suggestion to look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even any informational events that occur just before or at the time of the crashes.

Both tools offer more details but the details may or may not prove helpful.

The next and more difficult troubleshooting option would be to use Task Manager and Resource Monitor (use both but only one tool at a time) to observe system performance.

Observe first while the system is stable. Then have your friend join. Watch what happens.....

Hopefully you wil be able to catch some change that precedes the crash. Likely to take some trial and error troubleshooting along with time and effort. And a cooperative friend.

Be methodical with your testing and change only one thing at a time.

Post what you find.

LeInfiniti

Commendable
Aug 26, 2020
get something like memtest86 and let it run for a while. People use it to test when they change timing settings but it will find bad memory in general./

Bad memory though mostly causes either performance issues or crashes.

I am not real strong in motherboard troubleshooting so I don't know if there are any tools that will give you a clue what is wrong.
I started a memtest earlier today actually and it looks like it has made it through three passes with no errors so far.
Also just reproduced the crash on the first try with a friend and checked ipconfig and the ethernet adapter appeared to show up normally how it usually does.

Last edited:

LeInfiniti

Commendable
Aug 26, 2020
This:

"Ports seem to be forwarded correctly because they are able to join the server, but very shortly after doing so, my ethernet will crash. "

I will add the suggestion to look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even any informational events that occur just before or at the time of the crashes.

Both tools offer more details but the details may or may not prove helpful.

The next and more difficult troubleshooting option would be to use Task Manager and Resource Monitor (use both but only one tool at a time) to observe system performance.

Observe first while the system is stable. Then have your friend join. Watch what happens.....

Hopefully you wil be able to catch some change that precedes the crash. Likely to take some trial and error troubleshooting along with time and effort. And a cooperative friend.

Be methodical with your testing and change only one thing at a time.

Post what you find.
Honestly I have no idea what I'm looking for here, so I will attach my event viewer and reliability history logs to this reply. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me can see what is going on. Also didn't notice anything too abnormal with the task manager/resource monitor - besides the obvious spikes of my ethernet traffic when my friend connects to the server.

Actually.. there doesn't seem to be a file upload option? I have a Google Drive link here, but I know most people don't like downloading Google Drive stuff from random people lol: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1G4k5KT42wPpOjp1jYMzESNn9N59gt0de?usp=sharing

If there's a better way to share them with you, please let me know.

LeInfiniti

Commendable
Aug 26, 2020
Capture screen shots and post here using imgur (www.imgur.com).

Include screenshots of the router ping results as well.

Reliability history didn't appear to show anything (the crash occurred around 9:37 pm), and I'm not sure which logs to show for Event viewer. Upon trying to select everything, it just crashes and says the input is too big lol. Any idea which logs I should select?

Also here's router ping, ipconfig (not sure what is safe to show lol sorry), as well as task manager during the crash (the big spike is when they first connect I believe).

ozMYAJ8.png

hxnOBEk.png

8JY4gdk.png

Ralston18

Titan
Try disablinbg IPv6.

Ensure that only one network adapter (either wired or wireless) is enabled on the computer. Not both adapters at the same time.

Show the entire results of "ipconfig /all".

192.168.0.1 is likely the default IP address of your router (Gateway). Commonly used. (My router uses 192.168.1.1)

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-private-ip-address-2625970

Event Viewer:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3128616/windows-event-viewer.html

It does take time and effort to get a sense of how to navigate and apply Event Viewer. No need to rush through using Event Viewer.

Take another look in Reliability History.

First capture a screenshot when all is working well., Then have your friend log in. If the system crashes, reboot, and reopen Reliability History. Look for some new error codes, warnings, or informational entries that occurred just before or at the time of the crash. Again take a screenshot and post the results.

Look at the details. The details may or may not be helpful.

So that is somewhat strange everything looks fine here and your ethernet port actually is functional or it would not find the router.

What happens if you type your router ip 192.168.0.1 into the web browser.

The DNS is strange but if wowway.com is your ISP then it is fine.....it just is the same way you say the name of the cell company from china huawei that has gotten in trouble with the us government.

I doubt that is the problem but you could change the DNS in the IPV4 setting on your machines to say 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8. DNS from ISP tend to be unstable but you wouldn't think DNS would the problem for a session coming into your machine.

................I wrote this yesterday and didn't hit post for some reason :(

So that is somewhat strange everything looks fine here and your ethernet port actually is functional or it would not find the router.

What happens if you type your router ip 192.168.0.1 into the web browser.

The DNS is strange but if wowway.com is your ISP then it is fine.....it just is the same way you say the name of the cell company from china huawei that has gotten in trouble with the us government.

I doubt that is the problem but you could change the DNS in the IPV4 setting on your machines to say 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8. DNS from ISP tend to be unstable but you wouldn't think DNS would the problem for a session coming into your machine.

................I wrote this yesterday and didn't hit post for some reason :(

I also have Wow! internet and it labeled as wowway. From the old company name of Wide Open West.