qmill55

Commendable
Sep 4, 2017
The Ethernet cable that runs to my room through the wall does not work, I do not possess the skill set or really have the option to cut holes in the wall to try and fix the cable. The internet plan we have is 200 mbps and over a wireless receiver i average from 60-85 mbps. Are there any alternatives than replacing the wire that would allow me to get a working Ethernet to my room. I did a little research and found out it may be possible to adapt a coax cable that does work into an Ethernet port but am not sure if that is a viable fix. Other option I just briefly researched was a device called "AV 600 Powerline" but am not sure if that is merely a WiFi range extender that gives the ability to use Ethernet or could transmit the full 200 mpbs through the socket.

I am only about 2 walls away from my router and maybe 20 ft but i was told that not all of the plan we pay for is possible over Wifi.

Thanks for any suggestions, tips, comments.

Solution
Is there just the one network wall port near the router or are there multiple? Usually with house networking there are multiple. Might want to try different cables from router to network port and also the connection in your room. Check the cable is connecting properly into every plug.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Is there just the one network wall port near the router or are there multiple? Usually with house networking there are multiple. Might want to try different cables from router to network port and also the connection in your room. Check the cable is connecting properly into every plug.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
The Ethernet cable that runs to my room through the wall does not work, I do not possess the skill set or really have the option to cut holes in the wall to try and fix the cable. The internet plan we have is 200 mbps and over a wireless receiver i average from 60-85 mbps. Are there any alternatives than replacing the wire that would allow me to get a working Ethernet to my room. I did a little research and found out it may be possible to adapt a coax cable that does work into an Ethernet port but am not sure if that is a viable fix. Other option I just briefly researched was a device called "AV 600 Powerline" but am not sure if that is merely a WiFi range extender that gives the ability to use Ethernet or could transmit the full 200 mpbs through the socket.

I am only about 2 walls away from my router and maybe 20 ft but i was told that not all of the plan we pay for is possible over Wifi.

Thanks for any suggestions, tips, comments.
If you don't possess the skills then hire someone that does. It may be a trivial problem to someone that deals with ethernet wiring and has the proper tools.

qmill55

Commendable
Sep 4, 2017
Ok so i just looked and it appears that the router was not connected to the wall ethernet port behind it. There is only a single ethernet port and above it is a coax cable port. Previosuly my TV box was connected to that Ethernert port and with it unplugged i was still able to go online via the TV. I will next try to connect my router to the port but I'm taking a stab in the dark on why that would matter

qmill55

Commendable
Sep 4, 2017
Ok so i just looked and it appears that the router was not connected to the wall ethernet port behind it. There is only a single ethernet port and above it is a coax cable port. Previosuly my TV box was connected to that Ethernert port and with it unplugged i was still able to go online via the TV. I will next try to connect my router to the port but I'm taking a stab in the dark on why that would matter

LOL i just connected the ethernet port to the router and everything works now. I feel really dumb at this point, not sure how i didnt think of this in the first place.
Thank you for you input and suggestions!

Reactions: SamirD