c2yCharlie

Honorable
Mar 27, 2014
Hello Tech geeks and experts,

I had a PC (Config: i7 4790 @3.6ghz, 8GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 960 4GB, 1TB WD Blue HDD and 550W Corsair PSU). I used to dual boot Linux (Fedora) and Windows 10 on it. Everything was going great when one day, my mom, while cleaning the household, mistakenly pulled the switch of my power plug.

When I plugged in my machine again and booted it, my HDD was not being recognized. I changed the SATA port it was connecting to and it worked! However, something weird happened. Somehow, the bootloader defaulted to MBR of Windows rather than GRUB bootloader of Linux and now I can't boot into linux. Can anyone explain how and why this happened? But that's not where the problem ends. It is where it starts.

A couple days later, my GPU suddenly stopped working. After trying a hundred thousand things, I found out that the GPU's PCB controller had blown up due to overheating and so it was as good as any other e-waste. Luckily, I had an old Nvidia GTX 750 2GB which I slotted in my PC and then everything was up and running well. However, soon after I realized something very bizarre going on with my PC.
  • Firstly, I am no longer able to export anything from Premiere pro. The moment I try to export, the display just turns black and freezes and I have to reboot my PC.
  • Secondly, I am no longer able to play/stream videos at 4K, 4K/60. 1440/60 smoothly(entire machine hangs a lot) from youtube. Sometimes, it even struggles at 1080/60.
  • Thirdly, anytime I open two-three apps, my computer starts to hang/freeze. The same happens if I open around 7-8 tabs on Opera.
  • Lastly, just today I ran CPU-Z to check my system config and it says that I have 1GB of dedicated GPU memory. How's this possible if my GPU has 2GB dedicated GDDR5 VRAM?
None of these problems existed before. Earlier, I could run Premiere pro, 15-20 tabs in Opera, Utorrent and Photoshop at the same time without much issues but now I can't. I can only use my system in a very limited and conservative manner. I have zero clue as to what's going on with my system. Could anyone kindly help me out? Truly grateful to all those who help.

Hello Tech geeks and experts,

I had a PC (Config: i7 4790 @3.6ghz, 8GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 960 4GB, 1TB WD Blue HDD and 550W Corsair PSU). I used to dual boot Linux (Fedora) and Windows 10 on it. Everything was going great when one day, my mom, while cleaning the household, mistakenly pulled the switch of my power plug.

When I plugged in my machine again and booted it, my HDD was not being recognized. I changed the SATA port it was connecting to and it worked! However, something weird happened. Somehow, the bootloader defaulted to MBR of Windows rather than GRUB bootloader of Linux and now I can't boot into linux. Can anyone explain how and why this happened? But that's not where the problem ends. It is where it starts.

A couple days later, my GPU suddenly stopped working. After trying a hundred thousand things, I found out that the GPU's PCB controller had blown up due to overheating and so it was as good as any other e-waste. Luckily, I had an old Nvidia GTX 750 2GB which I slotted in my PC and then everything was up and running well. However, soon after I realized something very bizarre going on with my PC.
  • Firstly, I am no longer able to export anything from Premiere pro. The moment I try to export, the display just turns black and freezes and I have to reboot my PC.
  • Secondly, I am no longer able to play/stream videos at 4K, 4K/60. 1440/60 smoothly(entire machine hangs a lot) from youtube. Sometimes, it even struggles at 1080/60.
  • Thirdly, anytime I open two-three apps, my computer starts to hang/freeze. The same happens if I open around 7-8 tabs on Opera.
  • Lastly, just today I ran CPU-Z to check my system config and it says that I have 1GB of dedicated GPU memory. How's this possible if my GPU has 2GB dedicated GDDR5 VRAM?
None of these problems existed before. Earlier, I could run Premiere pro, 15-20 tabs in Opera, Utorrent and Photoshop at the same time without much issues but now I can't. I can only use my system in a very limited and conservative manner. I have zero clue as to what's going on with my system. Could anyone kindly help me out? Truly grateful to all those who help.
You problem is that the 750 has no where near the same performance as the 960

c2yCharlie

Honorable
Mar 27, 2014
You problem is that the 750 has no where near the same performance as the 960

That's true and I understand that but how does that explain the issues I'm facing? I'm not playing any games on it. Plus, I have a lappy with Intel 620 inbuilt graphics (which is nowhere near the performance of GTX 750 2GB) doesn't suffer from any of the issues that I am facing.