[SOLVED] Flash drive not showing in my computer but laptop makes a sound when i plug in the flash drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubber1997

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2013
Hello people! when i plug in flash drive in my laptop, it makes a sound of plugging a device in but flash drive is not appearing in my computer. Few days ago same flash drive was working as i had moved some data from the drive to my laptop. Today its not working, to make sure, i plugged in several other working flash drives but none of them are showing up.

To be honest, a week ago, my laptop was showing no internet even after connecting to my home wifi and it had same usb problem. To fix wifi problem, i ran the network reset. It fixed my wifi problem and my flash drive problem. I was happy as i got rid of both of the issues with one method. But today, my flash drive is not showing up again.

Thanks for the help.

Solution
You should be able to boot from a USB (your BIOS can directly access the USB ports ) so when you boot from a USB you are not using the the corrupted operating system on your hard drive, but the files on the USB. If you can not boot from a USB than you either have a bad USB install, a bad USB or another hardware problem, eg a bad motherboard.

rubber1997

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2013
Check Disk Management and see if they show up there; you may need to assign them a drive letter. Also check the Device Manager to see if the USB controller drivers are properly loaded.

Thank you for the reply, i have checked it many times but the flash drive is not appearing there. and in device manager, under USB it my flash drive appear as 'USB mass storage device' but its icon have a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark. when i go to its properties, under status it says,

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Driver %2 has been blocked from loading.

I have updated my driver, everything was upgraded already, i disabled the device and even uninstalled the device but nothing worked. Can you suggest anything else.

Thanks

rubber1997

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2013
Many factors can lead to your USB not showing up in computer, such as faulty USB port, outdated partitions lost, faulty hard drive and virus attack. So, you can work on these aspects t.
my hard drive seems to be working fine and in settings i have just checked that my computer is safe from threats and virus free as of now so is that good or should i take any other measures. i plug in my mouse from usb and it works perfectly fine, i don't know what is happening with the flash drives.
can you suggest anything else.
Thank you for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the "USB mass storage device' but its icon have a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark" , it means part of the chipset driver is not installing; this is why your USBs are not working.

Advise you laptop make and model. Check the manufacturer web site and see if they have a newer chipset driver than you are using. The problem could also be a new driver installed by a Windows update , so check if you can roll back to a previous driver. Further check if there is an updated BIOS available.

After you uninstalled the USB driver what did you do to make it load again? You might also want to boot into safe mode and see if your USBs work.

Reactions: rubber1997

rubber1997

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2013
i have done all the required updates including chipset drivers from the manufacturers website. i have also uninstalled my recent updates and have paused updates for a month. I have also updated my BIOS.

One thing i have to mention is that the last time when i transferred the data from my flash drive to my laptop was on 6/10/2020 but i have only able to uninstall the updates happened on 6/13/2020. Before 13th june, 2 updates were installed but i'm not able to uninstall them. Besides this i have tried everything and my laptop is still not showing any flash drive. Thanks for the help

rubber1997

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2013
Do you usually use a password or pin number to login to windows? Make sure you use your password and not your pin. Is you password the same as your MS account password?
i always login with fingerprint scan. i have used every password, one for the laptop, one for the ms account, previous passwords, nothing worked😭

If the normal reboot does not work, then do a hard boot. Hold down the power button until your laptop shuts off. While you have your laptop off, remove the battery, unplug the AC adapter and press the power button again for about 10 seconds, then reattach the AC adapter and try to boot as usual.

rubber1997

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2013
If the normal reboot does not work, then do a hard boot. Hold down the power button until your laptop shuts off. While you have your laptop off, remove the battery, unplug the AC adapter and press the power button again for about 10 seconds, then reattach the AC adapter and try to boot as usual.
battery can not be removed its inside the laptop. Can i hard boot some other way? thanks for the help brother

Reactions: rubber1997
Status
Not open for further replies.