Question Folders from old hard drive not getting deleted on a new build

Feb 28, 2021
I recently built a desktop pc with an AMD Ryzen 5 3500X and an MSI B450 motherboard but reused the hard drive from my non-functional, HP made, Intel i5-7200U laptop. The hard drive had over 1Tb of data on it and I didn't want to do a clean install of windows because I would lose all of the data and I didn't have a backup. There is a folder called Intel which contains some files about Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and Intel graphics. My pc however, doesn't natively support either Bluetooth or Wi-Fi and has an NVidia GPU. They have simply been transferred from the old computer. The main issue : the folder cannot be deleted. The same goes for the folders called HP and Hewlett-Packard. Whenever I try to delete them, it says I cannot as they are in use. But this doesn't make sense as it is a completely nonessential file and just like HP and Intel, I now have folders called MSI and AMD for the current parts. I cannot delete any of the 4 out of which 2 don't even matter.

Additional information : I have a SATA to USB adapter for retrieving data from old drives. I am pretty sure it won't work if I delete from there because it needs administrator rights but if it helps I have one available.

Edit : After trying to delete the subfolders in the Intel folder, I have found that the one in use is titled "Intel(R) Management Engine Components". It is in use for some reason and I'm not sure why. The same goes for subfolders "HP JumpStart Bridge" and "HP System Event" in the HP folder and subfolders "HP Support Framework", "HP Support Solutions" and "Shared" in the "Hewlett-Packard" folder.

Edited Edit : I tried deleting the files one by one in the Intel folder and am greeted with this message when deleting jhi_service.exe :

"The action can't be completed because the file is open in Intel(R) Dynamic Application Loader Host Interface Service <br> Close the file and try again."

I tried doing a tasklist on command prompt and found files that corresponded to all the HP file names but non about Intel. I hope I don't BSOD because of this even though none of these files should even be in use

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
I recently built a desktop pc with an AMD Ryzen 5 3500X and an MSI B450 motherboard but reused the hard drive from my non-functional, HP made, Intel i5-7200U laptop
If the issues you currently see are the worst of the problems, you are exceedingly lucky.

"I didn't have a backup" is not a valid reason to not do a full reinstall with the new hardware.

Feb 28, 2021
If the issues you currently see are the worst of the problems, you are exceedingly lucky.

"I didn't have a backup" is not a valid reason to not do a full reinstall with the new hardware.

yeaa i know but I dont have any spare drives. I ordered one but its broken so i need a replacement. I was looking for any other answer that could solve it in the short term because if something happens before the drive arrives i'll have to buy another copy or windows and go through a whole process again. just ease I guess

Feb 28, 2021
If you had a password on the old PC, you might have to try again using the Administrator account.

Yep I have the admin rights and everything, in fact thats how I deleted most of the subfolders. Even with admin rights however, I cannot delete it if the program is in use and it is, just that tasklist doesnt show said program and neither does task manager

yeaa i know but I dont have any spare drives. I ordered one but its broken so i need a replacement. I was looking for any other answer that could solve it in the short term because if something happens before the drive arrives i'll have to buy another copy or windows and go through a whole process again. just ease I guess
Stop......don't delete anything until you have made a full backup.
Once you have the backup safely tucked away then you can go play.
If you trash things up you can always spin back the backup and start over.

Feb 28, 2021
Remember the difference betweenTHE Administrator account and AN Administrator. The first is the one to use because it gives more facilities..

I got that, this comp only has one account and that is the admin. On any program, if it is in use, windows won't let you delete it regardless of which account is trying to. I even tried running explorer as administrator and it doesn't work. This is why I came to the community for help and I'm trying out different methods I found online as well. So far nothing has happened, I even restarted it and the files didn't get recreated. It booted like normal. So I know these files are not essential at all, just running in the background.

I'll see if taskkill helps and come back here