[SOLVED] Fx cpu wont OC to atleast turbo clock

fizisher

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
I have a fx 8320e 3.2ghz to 4ghz turbo but when i overclock i can only get to 3.7ghz then its unstable and get a blue screen for windows. You would think you could just overclock to your turbo clock and it would be stable. Not sure if its a voltage issue or my cpu is just shit. Any help to aid with performance is appropriated!

Solution
no it's the power phases there isn't enough of them to spread the load across them and prevent the vrms overheating. Actually it's the mosfets that bear the load and since it is all probably cheap components in a less than optimal config. in the board layout there is nothing you can do to improve them. Even adding a heat sink and fan wouldn't be enough.

It is literally down to the electronic components on the board. The 990fx boards the best of which is probably the sabertooth is still $150 second hand which is halfway to ryzen or an i series which will surpass the overclocked fx in any case.

FX is pretty thoroughly obsolete by now so the economic option is to ditch it. Dabbling with the overclock will cost more than necessary...

fizisher

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
M5A78LM LE is the motherboard
Cpu fx 8320e
Psu evga 500w
1 tb hhd 120gb ssd
At the moment its oc to 3.5 ghz
And amd overdrive is listing my target voltage at
CPU VID 1.1625
NB VID 1.750
DRAM VOLTAGE 1.350
HT VOLTAGE 1.2

fizisher

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Does your system include a gpu? What is it? Does it include a CPU cooler? What is it?

Your basic problem: No cooler on the vrms.

One they made earlier is Searchable.

Your board and PSU has not the stomach for overclocking. Don't. You can't. The best you might be able to do is disable turbo core in the bios to see if the CPU is even stable on that board.
Gpu is a rx570 8gb and no cooler but decent temperature on 3.5ghz never even hits 60 degrees. So its the head on my motherboard holding me back from overclocking?

fizisher

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Does your system include a gpu? What is it? Does it include a CPU cooler? What is it?

Your basic problem: No cooler on the vrms.

One they made earlier is Searchable.

Your board and PSU has not the stomach for overclocking. Don't. You can't. The best you might be able to do is disable turbo core in the bios to see if the CPU is even stable on that board.
Dont want any sort of big overclock just wanted to see why my cpu wouldnt even overclock to turbo boost speeds but if this board is that shitty looks like an upgrade will be coming in the future.

DavidM012

Distinguished
no it's the power phases there isn't enough of them to spread the load across them and prevent the vrms overheating. Actually it's the mosfets that bear the load and since it is all probably cheap components in a less than optimal config. in the board layout there is nothing you can do to improve them. Even adding a heat sink and fan wouldn't be enough.

It is literally down to the electronic components on the board. The 990fx boards the best of which is probably the sabertooth is still $150 second hand which is halfway to ryzen or an i series which will surpass the overclocked fx in any case.

FX is pretty thoroughly obsolete by now so the economic option is to ditch it. Dabbling with the overclock will cost more than necessary and also produce less than stellar results.

Reactions: fizisher
Solution

TRENDING THREADS