Oct 30, 2020
Yes you guessed it right, im talking about that cursed game, Cyberpunk 2077, I have a lot of questions about performance of this game and i've never been so curious about something like that.

So, i am using an msi laptop. intel i7-9750H CPU, GTX 1650 GPU (4gb vram), and i have 8gb ram.

While playing cyberpunk;
I was getting 30-45 FPS on lowest settings 1080p, My gpu usage is 100%, cpu usage is constantly blinking between 50-90 but im not having any bottlenecks, okay cool. (no thermal problems either)

I wanted higher FPS so i decided to play with resolution, it must help, i thought; i was dropping it slowly and not noticing any increase on fps, then i decided to drop it to 720p, well still low fps, then i said [] it and dropped it down to 1280 x 768, at this point you cant even see whats happening on the screen. Then i checked my GPU usage, it's 50% so gpu is not having a hard time, CPU is not too obv, even on 1080p there were no bottlenecks. But my fps is same, 30-45. No change. There is nothing to render on the screen game looks like mud, theres nothing to do yet fps is still struggling. Why ?

So my question is, if it's not about power of my graphics card or processor, what is FPS about in cyberpunk 2077 ? I can get 60fps stable on witcher 3 which is a pretty good lookin game too.

Is it about VRAM ? I was suspecting it is. Because on system requirements they recommend 3gb of VRAM minimum. But my game only uses 2gb of VRAM. Why ? Why is it not using 3 or 4 ? Is this something i need to resolve ? Or simply a game devolopement fault that needs to be patched ? Can i make this game use more VRAM ? (if vram is the reason my fps is low)

Drivers up to date.
DxDiag report: https://gofile.io/d/5s6dwG

Thanks for trying to help.

Screenshot from 1024 x 768 lowest settings gameplay:
View: https://imgur.com/a/Leiz593

Last edited:
Solution
Maybe you're not actually using the nvidia card. Bring up the game and then task manager. Slide the bar at the bottom of task manager all the way to the right so you can see the gpu column. You should see your game using a different gpu then something like Chrome or Firefox.
Oct 30, 2020
Vram holds the data needed to render the frame so it makes sense at x768 you don't need 8gb. Increate your resolution and texture quality & you should see vram increase.
Vram usage is 2gb even on 1080p, i should've add that on post my bad. On 1080p all lowest settings fps is 30-45 and 2gb memory is being used. Even on HWMonitor, it shows 50-52% usage on GPU's memory. The problem is it is using same amount on lowest possible resolution too.
I just don't get why it isn't using more. Or why is fps not going up even when game looks like mud.

I just remembered something, maybe its using more ram but it is using some of the shared memory not only gpu's, and i am only monitoring gpu's vram (?). Can this be the case? And where can i check/monitor the total ram usage, not only vram.

Lastly, let's say it's not about vram, then what is it? A game that can't render more frames and has fps drops even on good enough hardware, i lower graphics and resolution, there's nothing for gpu to do so gpu usage drops to 50%. Cpu isn't struggling. If it isn't about gpu and cpu what's going on?? Just render and display more frames :'( I think i only have this problem on cyberpunk, i can get 60fps stable on witcher 3 low-med settings but cyberpunk is more demanding, still doesn't explain my problem tho.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2020
I think its about the game, the problem is isolated since i can get 60fps on other games. And today when i was playing my fps was just fine on 1080p low, seems random. So that is that if you are having the same problem i don't think theres anything you can except waiting for patches.

popatim

Titan
Maybe you're not actually using the nvidia card. Bring up the game and then task manager. Slide the bar at the bottom of task manager all the way to the right so you can see the gpu column. You should see your game using a different gpu then something like Chrome or Firefox.

Solution