Since this seems to be a hot topic, I recently ran across this in the
lastest PCGamer magazine.

At this years CES, Epic Games, Firaxis, and Warner Brothers all agree that
eventually (10-15yrs) all consoles & PCs will require an internet connection
to play.

This OldDog might be in a nursing home by that time. ;)

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 22:09:03 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote:

>Since this seems to be a hot topic, I recently ran across this in the
>lastest PCGamer magazine.
>
>At this years CES, Epic Games, Firaxis, and Warner Brothers all agree that
>eventually (10-15yrs) all consoles & PCs will require an internet connection
>to play.

And cars will fly too.

Well. Old Dog, I just happened to find out that the nursing home where my
mother-in-law is currently in residence has Wi-Fi and DSL for the residents.
You can look forward to your "golden years."

--
DaveW

"OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote in message
> Since this seems to be a hot topic, I recently ran across this in the
> lastest PCGamer magazine.
>
> At this years CES, Epic Games, Firaxis, and Warner Brothers all agree that
> eventually (10-15yrs) all consoles & PCs will require an internet
> connection
> to play.
>
> This OldDog might be in a nursing home by that time. ;)

jlc

"OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote in message
> Since this seems to be a hot topic, I recently ran across this in the
> lastest PCGamer magazine.
>
> At this years CES, Epic Games, Firaxis, and Warner Brothers all agree that
> eventually (10-15yrs) all consoles & PCs will require an internet
> connection
> to play.
>
> This OldDog might be in a nursing home by that time. ;)

You beat me to it! I was just sitting down to post about this. It was small
paragraph that could have huge implications in the near future. Seems like
Steam really got a lot of game developers thinking.
This is the line that really got me the most. Mark Rein from Epic Games said
this "Unfortunately, gamers are going to have to give up some of their
anonymity to play games" That to me is a very scary type of thinking. JLC

OldDog wrote:
> Since this seems to be a hot topic, I recently ran across this in the
> lastest PCGamer magazine.
>
> At this years CES, Epic Games, Firaxis, and Warner Brothers all agree that
> eventually (10-15yrs) all consoles & PCs will require an internet connection
> to play.
>
> This OldDog might be in a nursing home by that time. ;)

Steam is NOT a hot topic anymore. It was a while back, but people dealt
with it and got on with their lives.

Difool's is probably the only person who still thinks its important
enough to annoy us with.

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 23:10:07 GMT, GFree <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au>
wrote:

>Steam is NOT a hot topic anymore. It was a while back, but people dealt
>with it and got on with their lives.
>
>Difool's is probably the only person who still thinks its important
>enough to annoy us with.

Lots of people didn't buy the game because of Steam. Lots.

The *real* Nos wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 23:10:07 GMT, GFree <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au>
> wrote:
>

>>Steam is NOT a hot topic anymore. It was a while back, but people dealt
>>with it and got on with their lives.
>>
>>Difool's is probably the only person who still thinks its important
>>enough to annoy us with.
>

> Lots of people didn't buy the game because of Steam. Lots.

Their loss I guess.

Sounds good. But if I don't start to change my ways, my wife will probably
just take me out to the woods one of these days and shoot me. ;)

> Well. Old Dog, I just happened to find out that the nursing home where my
> mother-in-law is currently in residence has Wi-Fi and DSL for the
residents.
> You can look forward to your "golden years."
>
> --
> DaveW
>

> "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote in message
> > Since this seems to be a hot topic, I recently ran across this in the
> > lastest PCGamer magazine.
> >
> > At this years CES, Epic Games, Firaxis, and Warner Brothers all agree
that
> > eventually (10-15yrs) all consoles & PCs will require an internet
> > connection
> > to play.
> >
> > This OldDog might be in a nursing home by that time. ;)

Andrew

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 22:25:58 -0800, "JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote:

>You beat me to it! I was just sitting down to post about this. It was small
>paragraph that could have huge implications in the near future. Seems like
>Steam really got a lot of game developers thinking.
>This is the line that really got me the most. Mark Rein from Epic Games said
>this "Unfortunately, gamers are going to have to give up some of their
>anonymity to play games" That to me is a very scary type of thinking. JLC

When all emails (and increasing amounts of other traffic) in the
developed world are scanned by the security forces, the concept of
having a user ID to log on and play a game is pretty minor in
comparison IMO.

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 22:09:03 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote:

>Since this seems to be a hot topic, I recently ran across this in the
>lastest PCGamer magazine.
>
>At this years CES, Epic Games, Firaxis, and Warner Brothers all agree that
>eventually (10-15yrs) all consoles & PCs will require an internet connection
>to play.
>
>This OldDog might be in a nursing home by that time. ;)

Yeah, and Bill Clinton also said in the 90s that every household in
America will have a very high speed optic fiber Internet connection by
the year 2000.

It doesn't cost much to make such claims.

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 22:25:58 -0800, "JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote:

>"OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote in message
>> Since this seems to be a hot topic, I recently ran across this in the
>> lastest PCGamer magazine.
>>
>> At this years CES, Epic Games, Firaxis, and Warner Brothers all agree that
>> eventually (10-15yrs) all consoles & PCs will require an internet
>> connection
>> to play.
>>
>> This OldDog might be in a nursing home by that time. ;)
>>

>You beat me to it! I was just sitting down to post about this. It was small
>paragraph that could have huge implications in the near future. Seems like
>Steam really got a lot of game developers thinking.
>This is the line that really got me the most. Mark Rein from Epic Games said
>this "Unfortunately, gamers are going to have to give up some of their
>anonymity to play games" That to me is a very scary type of thinking. JLC

Really ? Single-player games ?

He is either joking...or forgetting that many games are still
single-player ( or local co-op on one machine ).... or being
exceptionally arrogant. Kinda infectious with friends like
G..weedledum and D..weedledee at Valve.

John Lewis

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 22:25:58 -0800, "JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote:

>You beat me to it! I was just sitting down to post about this. It was small
>paragraph that could have huge implications in the near future. Seems like
>Steam really got a lot of game developers thinking.
>This is the line that really got me the most. Mark Rein from Epic Games said
>this "Unfortunately, gamers are going to have to give up some of their
>anonymity to play games" That to me is a very scary type of thinking. JLC

If they are going to start thinking that way then they better be
prepared for the backlash. Thinking this way will just cost them more
in sales and more losses due to higher pirating. This is just a bigger
challenge for the crackers, which they love.

OldDog wrote:
> Since this seems to be a hot topic, I recently ran across this in the
> lastest PCGamer magazine.
>
> At this years CES, Epic Games, Firaxis, and Warner Brothers all agree
that
> eventually (10-15yrs) all consoles & PCs will require an internet
connection
> to play.
>
> This OldDog might be in a nursing home by that time. ;)

It wouldn't surprise me.

These days new houses are built with phone and plug sockets everywhere
in order to accommodate the amount of electronic gear we tend to
accumulate.

Broadband is continuing to be taken up and is (in word at least)
supported by The Powers That Be, so the number of connections is likely
to continue increasing.

The internet is becoming more and more a part of our daily lives.
Newsgroups and forums such as this one, online banking, VOIP, online
shopping, music downloads, online gaming, email, web browsing
generally. I research and book hotels, flights, car hire over the web.
In the UK we can get car tax and insurance online.

Take all the above and try to imagine a decade into the future. Well,
we'll all be wearing shiny suits and "food" will come in tablet form,
but apart from that, it really wouldn't be a shock to find that
broadband internet access is as common as mobile phones are now, and
consequently it will be no big deal for us to connect to the web to
update our console/PC, download and activate our games and play them.

Sure, Steam is raising eyebrows now, but in 10 years I think things
will be different. Maybe because of Steam?

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005, The *real* Nos wrote:

> Lots of people didn't buy the game because of Steam. Lots.

exactly!
very well said!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

against steam campaign
http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
http://www.steamwatch.org/

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005, GFree wrote:

> Their loss I guess.

wrong! its your loss!
to play hl2 you sold your dignity! your freedom! your consumer rights!
so you lose!

ps: change your alias and erase "free" from it cause it doesn't no longer
apply to you! a valve gamer is an imprisoned one!

--

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005, "OldDog" wrote:

> At this years CES, Epic Games, Firaxis, and Warner Brothers all agree that
> eventually (10-15yrs) all consoles & PCs will require an internet connection
> to play.

obviously cause its for their own advantage!

pc games don't need internet connection to play! everyone knows it!
developers and publisher want it so they can have control over us
and make us pay more to play pc games!
its that simple!

it will be a long hard fight but we must start now and have no
mercy at all for them!

> This OldDog might be in a nursing home by that time. ;)

and me long time come and buried

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

against steam campaign
http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
http://www.steamwatch.org/

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005, The *real* Nos wrote:

> And cars will fly too.

lol!
that was very funny! :)

--

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, "JLC" wrote:

> You beat me to it! I was just sitting down to post about this. It was small
> paragraph that could have huge implications in the near future. Seems like
> Steam really got a lot of game developers thinking.
> This is the line that really got me the most. Mark Rein from Epic Games said
> this "Unfortunately, gamers are going to have to give up some of their
> anonymity to play games" That to me is a very scary type of thinking. JLC

so know do you finally see how right i've been for all these months?
please give me some credit! please!
use a filter to take of the insults i unfortunately put but behind all
my vocal always over the top bad english type of writing, i am right!

and to reply to mr rein, but who the hell does he think he is, so he
now sets the rules in the pc game market?
NO MR REIN YOU DON'T OWN US! YOU DON'T TELL US WHAT WE MUST DO!

we pc gamers must show developers and publisher they don't control us!

we must fight for our dignity! for our freedom! for our consumer rights!
WE MUST FIGHT DAMN IT!
FIGHT TILL THE END!

--

On 4 Mar 2005 09:29:50 -0800, "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>It wouldn't surprise me.
>
>These days new houses are built with phone and plug sockets everywhere
>in order to accommodate the amount of electronic gear we tend to
>accumulate.
>
>Broadband is continuing to be taken up and is (in word at least)
>supported by The Powers That Be, so the number of connections is likely
>to continue increasing.
>
>The internet is becoming more and more a part of our daily lives.
>Newsgroups and forums such as this one, online banking, VOIP, online
>shopping, music downloads, online gaming, email, web browsing
>generally. I research and book hotels, flights, car hire over the web.
>In the UK we can get car tax and insurance online.
>
>Take all the above and try to imagine a decade into the future. Well,
>we'll all be wearing shiny suits and "food" will come in tablet form,
>but apart from that, it really wouldn't be a shock to find that
>broadband internet access is as common as mobile phones are now, and
>consequently it will be no big deal for us to connect to the web to
>update our console/PC, download and activate our games and play them.
>
>Sure, Steam is raising eyebrows now, but in 10 years I think things
>will be different. Maybe because of Steam?

They better get a handle on all the spyware, trojans, etc. before
moving to this type of gaming model because I for one don't leave my
PC always connected to the internet even with broadband.

vinCe

"sayNO2steam" wrote
> GFree wrote:

>> Their loss I guess.

> wrong! its your loss!
> to play hl2 you sold your dignity! your freedom! your consumer rights!
> so you lose!

> ps: change your alias and erase "free" from it cause it doesn't no longer
> apply to you! a valve gamer is an imprisoned one!

Your alias has got "Steam" in it.

sayNO2steam wrote:

> wrong! its your loss!
> to play hl2 you sold your dignity! your freedom! your consumer rights!
> so you lose!
>
> ps: change your alias and erase "free" from it cause it doesn't no
> longer apply to you! a valve gamer is an imprisoned one!

ROFL
It's ranting posts like this is why I won't killfile you.

Andrew

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 11:24:01 -0800, Connected
<connected@somewhere.here> wrote:

>They better get a handle on all the spyware, trojans, etc. before
>moving to this type of gaming model because I for one don't leave my
>PC always connected to the internet even with broadband.

They have these clever newfangled things called Firewall's now. I
think they will catch on, you might want to check them out.

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 19:32:56 +0000, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.>
wrote:

>They have these clever newfangled things called Firewall's now. I
>think they will catch on, you might want to check them out.

Got one in my router and a software firewall on my PC but anyone who
thinks they are impervious is a fool. That be you.

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 22:09:03 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote:

>At this years CES, Epic Games, Firaxis, and Warner Brothers all agree that
>eventually (10-15yrs) all consoles & PCs will require an internet connection
>to play.

The time-frame sounds realistic. I'm convinced most games will be
bought online by then anyway.

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 19:55:35 GMT, Joe62
<jmcginnNOSPAM@radicalREALLYNOSPAM.ca> wrote:

>The time-frame sounds realistic. I'm convinced most games will be
>bought online by then anyway.

Yea, sure, when many ISP's limit your bandwidth? I doubt it.