Nov 5, 2021
Hi,

I have a 1Gbit Internet connectivity with 100Mbit/s upload and 1000Mbit/s download.
It happens that when I open any game on Windows (also happen to me with Davinci Resolve video editing software, when after I close it the speed is resumed, and that software that use any bandwidth), suddenly the download and upload bandwidth are reduced to 10Mbit/s download and 0.05 Mbit/s upload (tested using Speed Test).

xEIVO.png

iYx4m.png

I checked the Resource monitor and the highest network activity is consuming just a total of 5,321 bytes per second.
I checked the game itself and it uses a total of 600 bytes/sec.

Again, the moment I close the game, the bandwidth is back. It happens with offline games, and even apps like Davinci Resolve that don't use any bandwidth at all.

I use an ethernet connection but it does the same for WiFi as well. Something is happening that results in limiting the bandwidth but I have no idea how to detect it.
Using Windows 10 Home edition.

Solution
Windows 10 version 21H1 (OS Build: 19043.1320)

Using a laptop.

The issue happened many years now, no matter which router I used in the past (I use like 5 during the passed 2-3 years)/ So it doesn't seem to be router dependent. The moment I close the game, the Bandwith is back to full average 980Mbit/s download and 100Mbit/s upload.
If this is a "gaming" laptop, then it may have software installed to prioritize game traffic on the network. What model laptop ?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you state what your OS version(not edition) is at the time of writing? Assuming that this is a PC(not a laptop) and you're using the motherboard's NIC, what is the make and model of your motherboard and it's BIOS version?

Reactions: SpookyFairy
Nov 5, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you state what your OS version(not edition) is at the time of writing? Assuming that this is a PC(not a laptop) and you're using the motherboard's NIC, what is the make and model of your motherboard and it's BIOS version?

Using a laptop.

The issue happened many years now, no matter which router I used in the past (I use like 5 during the passed 2-3 years)/ So it doesn't seem to be router dependent. The moment I close the game, the Bandwith is back to full average 980Mbit/s download and 100Mbit/s upload.

kanewolf

Titan

Using a laptop.

If this is a "gaming" laptop, then it may have software installed to prioritize game traffic on the network. What model laptop ?

Solution
Nov 5, 2021

Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH

I see "Network Boost" option in the Vantage app for Lenovo. I disabled it (it was enabled) but the problem remained (haven't restarted the computer though).

Doing more tests to see if that toggled option is the issue.

Nov 5, 2021

I think it's solved. Will give it a go the entire game, but I think that was the solution, turning off "NETWORK BOOST" option in Lenovo Vantage.

Thank you very much!