pau.ginesta

Reputable
Nov 17, 2017
The MSI is lighter (1.8kg vs 2.4kg) while having almost the same technical specs.

Jumping from 60Mhz to 120Mhz might be noticeable, but 144Mhz makes no big difference from 120Mhz. Even the Playstation 5 doesn't have 144Mhz, so you shouldn't question too much about it, especially on a laptop.

Reactions: pau.ginesta
https://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-G...orce-GTX-1660-Ti-for-under-1000.439783.0.html

I like this site because they tend to do comprehensive reviews, though it looks like the Gigabyte one didn't get as much attention as the MSI one. Still I think it's enough to go off of.

Regarding thermal performance, laptops tend to be power constrained rather than thermally constrained. This makes it so they don't hit their thermal limits to begin with. Because laptops share the same heat sink between the CPU and GPU, there's a combined total power the two can have. So the laptop may never actually reach full power for both the CPU and GPU, but unless you're doing a Prime 95 and Furmark burn-in, this is rarely a thing anyways in an unconstrained environment.

Aside from that, looking at the MSI review, it looks like it was able to maintain 4.0GHz on the CPU and 1.7GHz on the GPU on a Witcher 3 run. Considering the base speeds, I don't think either is thermal throttling. In the Gigabyte review in the same test, the CPU was 0.4GHz sower, but the GPU remained the same. But considering in both reviews, the CPU and GPU were about 70C and 80C respectively, that's fine as far as thermals go (the maximum is 100C for both)