GF5900 128ddr or Radeon9800 128 ddr

acron1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I will be updating my GF3 64 ddr video card for a new one.
I can either get the a GF5900 128 ddr (non ultra) or a Radeon 9800 128 ddr (non Pro) for under $300.
I had lots of NVidia cards before going all the way back to the TNT and I am ready to try something new.
Any sugestions or comments?
Thanks,
Steve.

PS NVidia cards have always been good to me.

Beam me up Scotty.

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Get the 9800. Tell us what brand you have in mind. Avoid Gigacube & Powercolor. Also, tell us the memory & GPU specs you find to make sure nothing is skimped on.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
You should be able to find a 9800 PRO for not much more than 300. You can probly find one for 300-320 if you look hard enough. Get the ATI.

"Mice eat cheese." - Modest Mouse

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd

acron1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well:
I got the ATI 9800 128 DDR(non pro card.
Now I have a Radeon Pro AND a Radeon PRO secondary on my device manager. whats up?
Thanks,
Steve

Beam me up Scotty.

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
jedi force
"you will return the 9800 and get a FX5900"
/jedi force

damn it it doesn't work anymore ;)

hmm did u erase all trace of nVidia drivers?? like using programs from <A HREF="http://www.guru3d.com" target="_new">http://www.guru3d.com</A>??

Proud Owner the Block Heater
120% nVidia Fanboy
PROUD OWNER OF THE GEFORCE FX 5900ULTRA <-- I wish this was me
I'd get a nVidia GeForce FX 5900Ultra... if THEY WOULD CHANGE THAT #()#@ HSF

Jeep

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2003
I used to have a Radeon 9800. But my bro needed a new vid card. I gave him the 9800 and got a 5900 since i wanted a change. The FX 5900 is better since it (at least, mine) Overclocks beyond belief, and it looks a hell of alot cooler if u have a case mod. I get higher scores in most benchmark with the 5900. Plus i think Doom 3 will be optimized for the 5900. This forum is an ATI ego forum. It's the ATI version of Guru3d forum. I think it's funny.

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Yeah, of course DOOM ]|[ will be optmized for Nvidia. It would run like crap otherwise. John Carmack actually HATES optimizing for one company. According to daverpermen, ATi can run well in both vendor specific extensions and the Standard OpenGL ARB extensions. It's so much a pain in the arse to optimize the for the extensions of one vendor. I assure you that the Vendor specific extentions will have to sacrifice a little bit of image quality to run well on nVidia based boards. For example, Carmack will have to use a 12-bit Floatng Colour buffer for nVidia cards, while ATi cards will get to enjoy the full 32-bit buffer. Vendor specific insruction sets are very proprietary just like GLide was. Having to use the vendor specific instruction sets for nVidia (which takes hours & hours of work for Carmack) is like having to program the engine out of specs.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

sargeduck

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2002
The 5900 might be faster (usually due to Nvidia cheating), but have you seen any dx9 benchmarks??? My 9600Pro beats the 5900 ultra when it comes to dx 9 applications. So, yah, be happy with your 5900, and when your brother whoops your arse in half-life 2 in terms of frame rates and quality.......don't come crying back here whining to all of us about how slow your 5900 is.

No matter where you go, there you are.

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
I know sargeduck sounds sarcastic in this instance; but nevertheless, he is correct. As your fellow capadres here and a community concerned for the interest in others here, we sincerely hope and reccomend for your best interest that you HIGHLY reconsider your graphics card. You should get another 9800 Pro if you are in the high-end targed graphics range like you indicate. Sargeduck is also just as correct about his cehap $150 9600 Pro beating your 5900 Ultra in Half-Life 2. WE SINCERELY MEAN IT!!!. Please give this some thought.

eden

Champion
Urm I don't think anyone is in any position to state a 9600PRO will whoop a 5900 in HL2.

Now, Tomb Raider 4-wise, fire away! :wink:

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>Are you ugly and looking into showing your mug? Then the THGC Album is the right place for you!</b></font color=blue></A>

eden

Champion
The thing I find funny is how people think we are ATi biased when in reality we see the truth, and we are RIGHT. (selfish I know)

Man I pity Flamethrower205 and PapaSmurf for being so nVidia fanboyistic, they wanna support the company when it is going down. Jesus why not go support VIA who isn't getting much CPU market share?

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>Are you ugly and looking into showing your mug? Then the THGC Album is the right place for you!</b></font color=blue></A>

simwiz2

Distinguished
May 16, 2003
HL2 is going to be a popular game, and I think nVidia is going to do everything possible to work around the slow PS 2.0. I'm almost certain a 9800 will still be faster, but not a 9600.

eden

Champion
Since the HL2 devs are those who know and control the card performance mainly, there's really not much nVidia can't do, except cheat. They either get good perf or horrible. It's then up to Valve to admit they tried their best or could do better.

Seems nowadays we need to work so hard on nVidia's hardware so it performs right while others work right off. The way it's meant to be played huh.

--

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
Here's whats going to happen....Detonator50, which is coming out Sept.30th, will be loaded with detection mechanisms that will recognise HL2, TR AOD, etc..and drop the game into partial precision mode/shader replacement mode. Thats how it works. Watch how good Aquamark and some of the new games coming out this month run on NV hardware, its fuucking bullshiit. I have seen threads on B3D and NV News talking about how Nvidia already has optimizations in place, waiting for the new software to come out. Detonator50 is going to cause havoc on forums everywhere:)

I help because you suck.

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
what about me eden?????????

anyways~~~~ website benchmarks are just "examples" most website test video card using P4 3.2 with Corsair ram and Canterwood and all the good stuff. The thing is only like 1 in every 2000 people can have that kind of system.

I think, if anyone ask whether they should get a FX5900Ultra or 9800pro, they should go to best buy, buy them, test them, return them then decide which one is suitable FOR YOU! people here are giving u suggestion according to the website benchmarks using top-of-the-line systems, it doesn't mean it'll perform the same on your comp. Also the recent DX9 bench is showing nVidia getting their arse kicked, but really, DX9 is more like "future stuff", i know new dx9 games are popping out every second but not everyone is going to buy DX9 games that soon~~

okay the stuff i just said are interal contradicting itself

i'm just BLAH right now~~~

120% nVidia Fanboy

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
meh~~~ Detonators are still better than Cataylst :p

and now 100+ will say
"NO THEY'RE NOT U NVIDIOT"

:D

120% nVidia Fanboy

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Don't worry my fellow 120$ nVidiot, we'll do plenty of Catalyst bashing when the proper time comes. We're just going to have to wait until we see what the crystal ball holdsl, and then we can launch are surprise assault on ATi.

Right now, as much an AMD boy as I was at one time, I can't do enough 754 pin platform bashing.

Boy, why have I posted 4 entirely worthless posts in like the last 15 minutes? Oh well, I guess I outta have extra fun here sometime or another.

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
yay?

UFO ur gonna out post me real soon ><
can u post less? i'll give u candy?

120% nVidia Fanboy

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Holy crap. That guy managed to sum up the thoughts of countless nVidiots in a paragraph.

Apparently, we should buy graphics cards based on:
Benchmark scores (3dcock stroke especially!)
How cool it will look with a case mod.
Overclockability, and...
Doom 3.

Wow...

"Mice eat cheese." - Modest Mouse

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd

<font color=blue>
Detonator50 is going to cause havoc on forums everywhere:)
</font color=blue><font color=black>

Hold me GW, I'm Scared! :wink:

Ok, joke's over, you can stop touching me now dude!

:tongue:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Oh dont worry about that...
I got that too.
Thats just cauz it installs a seperate driver for the primary video output and the secondary, even though you don't have a second monitor.

<b><i>Consumers have spoken. They are tired of
paying the high cost of CDs & DVDs and prefer
more flexible forms of on-demand media
delivery."</i>
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>