[SOLVED] Gigabyte Aorus X570 Pro Two 12V CPU power ports?

GameFreak01048

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016
I just got my hands on the Gigabyte Aorus X570 Pro and I spotted in the manual that it has the standard 8-pin ATX_12V power port for the CPU but it also has a 4-pin CPU power port labelled ATX_12V1. I plan to pop my Ryzen 7 3700X into the motherboard and power it with a Corsair HX850i, so far things have been fine on my MSI B450 Tomahawk with only the 8-pin CPU power connector plugged in because that's all it has, i'm just switching motherboards because of POSTing issues that are widespread on the Tomahawk board.

So my question is: Should things run fine if I just use the bigger 8-pin ATX_12V CPU power connector? It's important to note I don't plan on doing any overclocking what-so-ever outside of Precision Boost Overdrive, which again has not caused any stability issues on my B450 Tomahawk.

From my research the extra 4-pin CPU power connector is for extra stability and power delivery to the CPU for extreme overclocking, but I would just like a solid answer before I go and melt something, thank you in advance :)

Solution
If you only use the 8 pin you won't melt anything and I think it will probably work fine.

Ideally you would want all 12 connected because that would give you the most copper (larger cross section of the wires) between the PSU and the motherboard.....and this results in less voltage drop....and less voltage drop is a good thing.
If you only use the 8 pin you won't melt anything and I think it will probably work fine.

Ideally you would want all 12 connected because that would give you the most copper (larger cross section of the wires) between the PSU and the motherboard.....and this results in less voltage drop....and less voltage drop is a good thing.

Reactions: formant
Solution