Question Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming Power Delivery Issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 20, 2019
Hey y'all, I've been running into a problem with my Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming 8 gb gpu lately, I'll link a video of what's going on but basically at completely random times my computer will crash and a white light above the PCIE power connectors and the RGB Gigabyte logo will flash alternately until I restart the computer. I have no idea what's going on and can't find anything that involves the blinking of the Gigabyte name (there's plenty about the blinking white light). I have the most recent drivers installed and the most recent BIOS for the card available from Gigabyte's website. The card has done this to me whilst playing games ranging from Assassin's Creed Odyssey to the original Mass Effect game, and it has even crashed when I'm just on the desktop or watching YouTube. I plan on contacting Gigabyte soon to see if they can give any advice or (if need be) replace the card. I wanted to see if I could get any help from you guys before I do so.

Any help/advice about what may be causing this will be greatly appreciated!

YouTube Video of what's going on:

If you don't mind, can your provide FULL specs ? Which PSU model are you suing ? Have you tried clearing/resetting all the CMOS/BIOS settings to default ??

-1. "Complete" system specs should ALWAYS be accompanied with any driver, hardware, or performance question. Please Do not post DXDiag reports as they contain a TON of useless information. Posting a DxDiag in place of a System Spec List tends to ward off potential members from helping you.

Please supply the following system details/information. It's not necessary to post each and every system detail as asked below, but only those concerning your current problem at hand.

(Complete System Specs)
-CPU make and model# (clock speed/voltage, type of cooler, and "Core" temperature @ idle and load)
-Motherboard make & model# (include Bios version if graphics card is not recognized or you are having stability issues)
-RAM (amount, clock speed, model#/link of kit, configuration)
-Graphics card(s) make and model# (clock speed, voltage if modified, Driver version and GPU temp both @ idle and load)
-Power supply make,model#, "AND" age (note if using 110V or 220V A/C input)
-HDD/SSD configuration (ie: Raid setup/ back up/ OS drive/etc..)
-Case/Chasis make,model# (fan make, model#, and configuration if having thermal issues)
-Operating System (If using Windows note Framework and service pack version)
-Monitor make, model#, and resolution (If model# is unknown list resolution and refresh rate)

*If the unit is a "laptop" or "All-in-one" system you must note the make and model# of the unit. Be sure you are ALWAYS using the OEM/manufacturer's Driver updates for the unit.

*If "Crashing":
-Note the nature of the "crash" in detail, as there are several definitions for the word "crash".

*If "performance" related issue:
-Note the "exact" point in which the performance reduction occurred (ie: After Windows update, After Bios update, After Driver update, After thermal system shutdown, After Hardware change/upgrade etc...)

*For diagnostic purposes please disable the following:
-Any/all Antivirus/ Anti-malware software
-Any/all OSD monitoring software
-ALL overclocks outside of factory spec

Jun 20, 2019
For sure! My system specs are:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1500X - Overclocked to 3.9 gigahertz (stable)
-Cooled by Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Mobo: Gigabyte AB350M-Gaming 3 (rev. 1.x)
-Bios version F31
RAM: 16 gigs of Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666 mhz (4 sticks of 4 gigs each)
GPU: Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming 8GB
-All stock, I have not messed with any overclocking or voltage on the card EVER
PSU: Corsair CX 550 80 Plus Bronze
-Unit is about 10 months old
Storage:
-Boot Drive: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVME PCIE M.2
-Mass Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5 Inch Sata 3 Internal SSD
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 88R Micro-ATX Mid-Tower Case
-I have 2 fans in the case, both Corsair 120mm "mag-lev" fans in a push pull configuration (one in the front pulling in air and one for exhaust)
Monitor: Samsung 1080p Full HD with a refresh rate of 72 HZ (Type S24F350FH) connected via HDMI
I also have a blu-ray optical drive in the system.

By crashing I mean the screen goes black and the computer is unresponsive (display remains on) and the flashing of lights displayed in the attached video immediately ensues.
Only antivirus programs I have are Windows Defender and Trend Micro
I've used CPU Z before to check CPU voltages because motherboard readings were finicky, and used AIDA 64 to test stability of CPU overclock
The processor IS overclocked outside of factory specs (To 3.9 ghz stable). I maintain an idle temperature of around 28-30 degrees Celsius, with a load temperature of no more that 58 degrees Celsius.

I am pretty sure the issue began about 3 months back but it had been happening so intermittently and I was busy with school that I had no time to investigate. Now it has happened several more times and I have time to try and figure this out whilst on summer break.

Jun 20, 2019
For sure! My system specs are:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1500X - Overclocked to 3.9 gigahertz (stable)
-Cooled by Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Mobo: Gigabyte AB350M-Gaming 3 (rev. 1.x)
-Bios version F31
RAM: 16 gigs of Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666 mhz (4 sticks of 4 gigs each)
GPU: Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming 8GB
-All stock, I have not messed with any overclocking or voltage on the card EVER
PSU: Corsair CX 550 80 Plus Bronze
-Unit is about 10 months old
Storage:
-Boot Drive: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVME PCIE M.2
-Mass Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5 Inch Sata 3 Internal SSD
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 88R Micro-ATX Mid-Tower Case
-I have 2 fans in the case, both Corsair 120mm "mag-lev" fans in a push pull configuration (one in the front pulling in air and one for exhaust)
Monitor: Samsung 1080p Full HD with a refresh rate of 72 HZ (Type S24F350FH) connected via HDMI
I also have a blu-ray optical drive in the system.

By crashing I mean the screen goes black and the computer is unresponsive (display remains on) and the flashing of lights displayed in the attached video immediately ensues.
Only antivirus programs I have are Windows Defender and Trend Micro
I've used CPU Z before to check CPU voltages because motherboard readings were finicky, and used AIDA 64 to test stability of CPU overclock
The processor IS overclocked outside of factory specs (To 3.9 ghz stable). I maintain an idle temperature of around 28-30 degrees Celsius, with a load temperature of no more that 58 degrees Celsius.

I am pretty sure the issue began about 3 months back but it had been happening so intermittently and I was busy with school that I had no time to investigate. Now it has happened several more times and I have time to try and figure this out whilst on summer break.
AND I have tried clearing the BIOS and updating the card's BIOS, same with motherboard though I know a newer BIOS has come out a few days ago for compatibility with 3rd gen Ryzen.

Status
Not open for further replies.