Question Gigabyte z170xp-sli turning on and off ?

Sep 14, 2020
Hi so I have this board and the whole build for about six years now (built it in 2016) specs are the following;
CPU: Intel Core i3 6100
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 380
RAM: One stick of Gskill F4-2133C15D 8gigs
PSU: Thermaltake 550W
SSD: Samsung 128gb (whole dedicated to drive C:\ )
HDD: 1tb for games installation (Drive D:\)

ok so from past couple of weeks the Pc was acting weird. After 10 minutes of gaming display was going out I could hear audio. Removed everything disconnected everything gave it a good clean. Connected and installed everything back and it worked for another couple of days. Then all of a sudden this morning when I tried to turn if on it started giving me Blue screen of death with error code iqrl_less_or something like that sometimes KERNAL_Security like that.

so I tried to remove and put everything back one by one removed CPU all together cleaned it put the thermal paste and install the heat sink. Then I have lost everything all together. Ever since it has stopped giving me display.
I tried everything again but nothing worked please help!

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Are you hearing any beeps?

Try a new CMOS battery.

Try another known working video cable.

That said:

My first thought is that the PSU has failed.

Do you have another known working PSU that you can swap in as a troubleshooting test?

Or other components to likewise swap in such as theGPU. Or pull the GPU and try integrated graphics (if supported).

Try to eliminate as many possibilities as you can.

Work methodically and carefully. Change only one thing at a time.

Sep 14, 2020
No beeps at all, even if I remove the RAM entirely and turn it on there are no beeps.

I will try a new CMOS battery and will give it a try.

I don't have any spares unfortunately can't check parts like GPU and PSU by replacing them I will have to buy them.

Used VGA cable to connect to the integrated graphics (the default one on the board) but still same results. Even used default board HDMI port but still same results no display no beep and yellow light on the board goes off and on along with all the fans, signalling a restart.

Sep 14, 2020
Update: this mobo doesn’t come with the on board speaker (for beeps) so i installed one on the board and gave it a start, it did the same behavior MB lights on fans turned on but no display whatsoever but this time however speaker beeped 5 times and these were long 5 beeps like Beeeeep! Beeeeep! Beeeeep! Beeeeep! Beeeeep! and right after 5th one motherboard turns off and after like 2 secs it turns back on and cycle continues.

I switched the RAM from slot 1 to 2 and the beep stopped but the rest of the behavior is same.

basically changing RAM slots gives the following result:
RAM in slot 1 and 3 gives beep
RAM in slot 2 and 4 gives no beep
What could be the issue I am suspecting its RAM or PSU issue maybe.

Sep 14, 2020
Very bad news for me and for my wallet. o_O
Actually I damaged CPU socket pins, bent a few them and while trying to bent them back in their original position broke a few. Hence the CPU is not picked up by the board and its giving 5 long beeps. Which as per gigabytes' official beep code sheet is a CPU error. In my case its not being picked up by the board because there are 4 freaking pins are missing from the socket lol funny in most sad way possible.

This can be closed and pinned on top of the Motherboards Forums so the kids can read and take å lesson why not to touch the CPU area on board.