Question Google speed test discrepancy

Jan 30, 2021
Hello all,

I am having an issue with my internet speed based on what google speed test reports. I have a 200Mb/s ISP connection and until recently this was reflected when I ran the google speed test. However, one day that I ran the test randomly, I noticed that I am only getting 30 or so Mb/s. The only change I can think of is the removal of a busted ram chip. Other than that I changed nothing on the PC. What can affect the LAN speed so drastically?? As I mentioned, up until about a week ago I would get the proper speeds with no changes to my network (cable or router). I tried rolling back to a previous network driver version as I recently updated my drivers with driver booster but that did not seem to fix the problem. I did all the standard troubleshooting (restarting PC, router, checking cables, rolling back drivers) but nothing works. I even messed with some driver settings in device manager as per some tutorials such as changing the LAN card speed, disabling IPV6 etc but still no luck. This happened to me once before and it was so frustrating that I had to reset my PC which seems to fix it. This leads me to believe there is some configuration/software/ driver compatibility issue or other software issue that is causing this. I even ran an antivirus recovery tool to see if malware is to blame but that isn't it either. I realize this might be a broad topic but can someone please explain to me how this can happen and generally what factors affect LAN speed and NIC performance from a controller/driver perspective. It is a controller issue? driver issue? other issue??? To reiterate, my current hardware (PC and Network) support this speed. The only issue is changes are the removal of some RAM( I don't think this affects speed) and some software or a driver update that happened recently on my main PC and I cannot figure out what it is. My setup is as follows:

CPU: i7-2600k
mobo: DH67BL
Ram: 10 GB(busted 2gb stick removed)
samsung ssd
nvidia 1070ti gpu

Any insights are greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Peter

Jan 30, 2021
Yes both my work laptop is getting 200MB/s on ethernet and my phone is getting 100MB/s on wifi 5GHz. The strange thing is that i ran the test on my PC while in the antivirus recovery tool browser which I assume is just another safemode and it reached 150MB/s.