Jun 20, 2021
Hi there,

A few months ago I upgraded to a GTX 1080 ti (considered used but acceptable by the seller) for work and personal purposes.

I have since had a couple issues with it, not least recently, which I'll detail here:

• Under load during games (my usual testing game is the Long Dark) the graphics card crashes. I still get audio feedback from the game in the background, and can move and access menus. When this happens, MSIafterburner and HWinfo show a sharp decrease in activity (about 1%).
  • I also get artifacting sometimes, typically before a crash.
  • I was also getting BSOD, but this has been fixed by BIOs updates in all relevant cases
My specs are as follows:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor, 3600 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
Motherboard: X470 GAMING PLUS MAX (MS-7B79)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
RAM: Ballistix 16gb 3600 mhz DDR4 (x2)
PSU: XPG CORE Reactor 750Watt 80 Plus Gold Certified Fully Modular Power Supply (COREREACTOR750G-BKCUS)

I have attempted the following fixes:
  • Reinstalling windows (which appeared to work for about a week - though this was to fix the BSOD issues (Which it didn't even do))
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling the most recent (3080 game ready) drivers
  • Fully uninstalling ALL drivers and reinstalling relevant ones
  • Uninstalling PhysX (which I then reinstalled after the crashing continued)
  • Fully uninstalling ALL drivers and rolling back to an earlier set
  • Run benchmarks on GPU using Furmark and Heaven Benchmark 4.0 (Heaven did crash once, but only because I plugged in my wireless headset during the benchmark - on subsequent attempts it did occasionally drop frames).
  • Monitored temps during tests (which remained within suitable levels)
  • Literally upgraded my PSU from a bronze rates 750 W to a gold rated
  • Ran CPU and memory benchmarks using aida64EXTREME (no errors I could see)
  • Updated BIOS on my old motherboard
  • Literally replaced the entire motherboard
  • Updated BIOS on a new motherboard (to attempt to see if it was a fault with the single PCIe I had on my old motherboard)
  • Checked BIOS for overclock profiles (none existed)
  • Ran memtest x86 on both my RAM sticks (no fails or errors)
  • Run BenchmarkTest on entire setup (regular functioning across the board)
  • Underclocking using MSI afterburner
  • Increasing core voltage to my graphics card
  • Reseating the graphics card
  • Rolled back windows update
  • Monitored temperatures pre-crash (regular, 50 c temp)
I'm really sad that I have to concede the issue is probably hardware (GPU) related (since the symptoms of CPU issues do not appear to be showing, and I've literally replaced and tested all other hardware in my PC). In the current market, replacing my GPU is going to be expensive as hell. The fans are working properly (although they do click at certain fan thresholds, usually at about 30-50%, but not at higher levels). I would really appreciate some other advice before I attempt to change out my hardware, though. This is my first time posting on a hardware forum, so please give me feedback if I'm missing necessary data. I will post anything needed.

Thanks,

C

Last edited:
Looking at your attempt-list, it looks quite clear for me that a fault to the GPU is the most probable cause for this. There is a couple of things I think need clarification:
  • What happens if you replace the GPU driver with an older version ?
  • Can you make a list of what games it does work for without crashing, and what games does not work (crash)? Need to know that because it may be one or a few games that have bug(s).

Jun 20, 2021
Looking at your attempt-list, it looks quite clear for me that a fault to the GPU is the most probable cause for this. There is a couple of things I think need clarification:
  • What happens if you replace the GPU driver with an older version ?
  • Can you make a list of what games it does work for without crashing, and what games does not work (crash)? Need to know that because it may be one or a few games that have bug(s).

I get the same issues regardless of the age of the version of the drivers (at least, I did when I tried a single other driver set). I guess I could try various other versions, but even if its the most recent driver update thats bugged then its unlikely that I would just happen to choose one that was also broken.

As for games - I will admit that my game set is fairly limited, since I haven't really been attempting many games for this purpose.
I have tried it inthe following:
  1. Divinity 2
  2. Going Medieval
  3. The Long Dark
  4. Before your Eyes
In the last three months I have played some 200 hours of Divinity 2 and never had issues until a few weeks ago, when it started crashing consistently. All of the rest of these games have shown various issues - although they respond in different ways - Before your Eyes crashed to desktop (consistently), as did Going Medieval; The Long Dark does not, but just locks up and does the screen thing I've mentioned.

Jun 20, 2021
I get the same issues regardless of the age of the version of the drivers (at least, I did when I tried a single other driver set). I guess I could try various other versions, but even if its the most recent driver update thats bugged then its unlikely that I would just happen to choose one that was also broken.

As for games - I will admit that my game set is fairly limited, since I haven't really been attempting many games for this purpose.
I have tried it inthe following:
  1. Divinity 2
  2. Going Medieval
  3. The Long Dark
  4. Before your Eyes
In the last three months I have played some 200 hours of Divinity 2 and never had issues until a few weeks ago, when it started crashing consistently. All of the rest of these games have shown various issues - although they respond in different ways - Before your Eyes crashed to desktop (consistently), as did Going Medieval; The Long Dark does not, but just locks up and does the screen thing I've mentioned.
I´m kind of having the same problem. When you run your stress test do you use the cpu as well ?
Running the gpu all be it self on the stress test was fine, but when I ran the cpu together it crashed, accutally it ketp oscillating the load. Not sure is the same as yours. Temp was low as well

Jun 20, 2021
Hi there,

A few months ago I upgraded to a GTX 1080 ti (considered used but acceptable by the seller) for work and personal purposes.

I have since had a couple issues with it, not least recently, which I'll detail here:

• Under load during games (my usual testing game is the Long Dark) the graphics card crashes. I still get audio feedback from the game in the background, and can move and access menus. When this happens, MSIafterburner and HWinfo show a sharp decrease in activity (about 1%).
  • I also get artifacting sometimes, typically before a crash.
  • I was also getting BSOD, but this has been fixed by BIOs updates in all relevant cases
My specs are as follows:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor, 3600 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
Motherboard: X470 GAMING PLUS MAX (MS-7B79)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
RAM: Ballistix 16gb 3600 mhz DDR4 (x2)
PSU: XPG CORE Reactor 750Watt 80 Plus Gold Certified Fully Modular Power Supply (COREREACTOR750G-BKCUS)

I have attempted the following fixes:
  • Reinstalling windows (which appeared to work for about a week - though this was to fix the BSOD issues (Which it didn't even do))
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling the most recent (3080 game ready) drivers
  • Fully uninstalling ALL drivers and reinstalling relevant ones
  • Uninstalling PhysX (which I then reinstalled after the crashing continued)
  • Fully uninstalling ALL drivers and rolling back to an earlier set
  • Run benchmarks on GPU using Furmark and Heaven Benchmark 4.0 (Heaven did crash once, but only because I plugged in my wireless headset during the benchmark - on subsequent attempts it did occasionally drop frames).
  • Monitored temps during tests (which remained within suitable levels)
  • Literally upgraded my PSU from a bronze rates 750 W to a gold rated
  • Ran CPU and memory benchmarks using aida64EXTREME (no errors I could see)
  • Updated BIOS on my old motherboard
  • Literally replaced the entire motherboard
  • Updated BIOS on a new motherboard (to attempt to see if it was a fault with the single PCIe I had on my old motherboard)
  • Checked BIOS for overclock profiles (none existed)
  • Ran memtest x86 on both my RAM sticks (no fails or errors)
  • Run BenchmarkTest on entire setup (regular functioning across the board)
  • Underclocking using MSI afterburner
  • Increasing core voltage to my graphics card
  • Reseating the graphics card
  • Rolled back windows update
  • Monitored temperatures pre-crash (regular, 50 c temp)
I'm really sad that I have to concede the issue is probably hardware (GPU) related (since the symptoms of CPU issues do not appear to be showing, and I've literally replaced and tested all other hardware in my PC). In the current market, replacing my GPU is going to be expensive as hell. The fans are working properly (although they do click at certain fan thresholds, usually at about 30-50%, but not at higher levels). I would really appreciate some other advice before I attempt to change out my hardware, though. This is my first time posting on a hardware forum, so please give me feedback if I'm missing necessary data. I will post anything needed.

Thanks,

C
I have a ryzen 5 3600x and a GPU RX 570. I was thinkin maybe mine was a bad power supply, going to test next weekend.

In the last three months I have played some 200 hours of Divinity 2 and never had issues until a few weeks ago, when it started crashing consistently.
This point against a physical issue with the GPU - particular if this happens before you tried to swap mobo and PSU.

another thing i was thinking, I noticed a bad performance after windows stopped working with java, and new updates. Not sure that have anything to do.
Probably a different case. Please post a new thread for your issue, you can always link to this since it have similarities.

Jun 20, 2021
This point against a physical issue with the GPU - particular if this happens before you tried to swap mobo and PSU.

Probably a different case. Please post a new thread for your issue, you can always link to this since it have similarities.

Hm, I'm a bit unsure then where the problem might stem from. Mr Carlson did point out I could do a benchmark that combines both my CPU and GPU - if I'm not mistaken, userbenchmark does this, and I have run that without issue.