Question GPU overheating after new CPU installed ?

Dainik

Honorable
May 17, 2017
I recently installed a new CPU into my setup. I went from a Ryzen 5 2600 to a Ryzen 7 5800X3D.
Since doing this upgrade my GPU (RX 580 8GB) seems to overheat/black screen whenever I try to open a game. The only way around this is by changing the GPU fans to 100% at all times. If I try to open a game without doing this the PC will freeze and either go back to the desktop or I need to manually restart it.
The temps I get whilst gaming are around 75-80 GPU, and around 45-60 CPU.
I have taken the CPU off again to check for bent pins etc and have found nothing. Cleaned and re-applied the thermal paste and still have the same issue.

specs below;

Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Deepcool AK620 cooler
Sapphire RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
16GB DDR4 2133MHZ RAM
ASUS B450 Gaming F Motherboard (Upgraded bios to support CPU)
Corsair 650W PSU (around 8 years old unsure of the model)

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
Your new CPU is not the bottleneck anymore. It is allowing your gpu to render more frames, that's making your gpu work at 100% much more often than before.

Think of your gpu as someone drinking water through a straw. With your old CPU it was just a single straw, easy to swallow. Now it's a hose on full blast and your GPU is showing that's it's got issues handling that much.

You're on the extreme side of the spectrum, but my GPU temps also rose going from a 3700 to a 5700x. It was just a 20fps boost, guessing you're seeing a lot more and it's stressing the GPU as never before.

Probably time for a GPU repaste as it's clearly overheating

Dainik

Honorable
May 17, 2017
Your new CPU is not the bottleneck anymore. It is allowing your gpu to render more frames, that's making your gpu work at 100% much more often than before.

Think of your gpu as someone drinking water through a straw. With your old CPU it was just a single straw, easy to swallow. Now it's a hose on full blast and your GPU is showing that's it's got issues handling that much.

You're on the extreme side of the spectrum, but my GPU temps also rose going from a 3700 to a 5700x. It was just a 20fps boost, guessing you're seeing a lot more and it's stressing the GPU as never before.

Probably time for a GPU repaste as it's clearly overheating
This could likely be the issue, i have gained around an 80fps increase since installing the new CPU.

I think I will try repaste and if this does not work it will likely be time to upgrade the card also.

Thanks

I recently installed a new CPU into my setup. I went from a Ryzen 5 2600 to a Ryzen 7 5800X3D.

although generally deemed unnecessary these days, are you running fresh windows after upgrade? I jumped a generation on my CPU upgrade and it caused little glitches all over the place which were not consistent, but fresh windows install fixed it all up.

Since doing this upgrade my GPU (RX 580 8GB) seems to overheat/black screen whenever I try to open a game. The only way around this is by changing the GPU fans to 100% at all times. If I try to open a game without doing this the PC will freeze and either go back to the desktop or I need to manually restart it.

it does sound like you could be correct about the temps, but "seems" like it is overheating doesn't say much, I know what you listed as temps, but have you actually seen it go above 80? do you tab out during the temp check?. Open up your AMD gpu software (adrenalin), navigate to PERFORMANCE tab, mid top right click "overlay" then toggle the metrics tab. This will show CPU, GPU, RAM usage along with the temps. RX580 throttles around 85c, ideal to see it below 80c. Im not sure which program you had used to measure temps, but it would be a good idea to check with another. Maybe HW which could show you more info about the card.

I am running a similar card to yours, mine runs at 100% usage all the time during gaming (yes, time has come to upgrade, but it's fine for now). It stays nice and quiet, no throttling, I have not checked temps because I don't have a reason to, I can do it later if you want to compare.

I have taken the CPU off again to check for bent pins etc and have found nothing. Cleaned and re-applied the thermal paste and still have the same issue.

You should be fine with the CPU

specs below;

Ryzen 7 5800X3D

Corsair 650W PSU (around 8 years old unsure of the model)

As tiny as this difference may seem on paper - you've upgraded to a power hungry CPU, and kept an 8 year old PSU. A replacement PSU should have come standard with this kind of upgrade/age. I know it sounds silly, because "it works". PSU units wear out over time, capacitors get weak, 8 years is enough. Pick up a PSU first, do fresh install of windows and go from there (that's what I would do in your situation).

Black screen from lack of power doesn't ring a bell? GPU jumping to 100%, drawing MORE power, beefier CPU drawing MORE power. To me it makes sense to start there.

Reactions: Dainik

Dainik

Honorable
May 17, 2017
although generally deemed unnecessary these days, are you running fresh windows after upgrade? I jumped a generation on my CPU upgrade and it caused little glitches all over the place which were not consistent, but fresh windows install fixed it all up.

it does sound like you could be correct about the temps, but "seems" like it is overheating doesn't say much, I know what you listed as temps, but have you actually seen it go above 80? do you tab out during the temp check?. Open up your AMD gpu software (adrenalin), navigate to PERFORMANCE tab, mid top right click "overlay" then toggle the metrics tab. This will show CPU, GPU, RAM usage along with the temps. RX580 throttles around 85c, ideal to see it below 80c. Im not sure which program you had used to measure temps, but it would be a good idea to check with another. Maybe HW which could show you more info about the card.

I am running a similar card to yours, mine runs at 100% usage all the time during gaming (yes, time has come to upgrade, but it's fine for now). It stays nice and quiet, no throttling, I have not checked temps because I don't have a reason to, I can do it later if you want to compare.

You should be fine with the CPU

As tiny as this difference may seem on paper - you've upgraded to a power hungry CPU, and kept an 8 year old PSU. A replacement PSU should have come standard with this kind of upgrade/age. I know it sounds silly, because "it works". PSU units wear out over time, capacitors get weak, 8 years is enough. Pick up a PSU first, do fresh install of windows and go from there (that's what I would do in your situation).

Black screen from lack of power doesn't ring a bell? GPU jumping to 100%, drawing MORE power, beefier CPU drawing MORE power. To me it makes sense to start there.
I have not tried a fresh install of windows, this will be the next thing to do.

I have been using AMD adrenaline with the overlay to avoid tabbing out. I have been keeping an eye on the tempratures and it is crashing at random points. te last crash was when the GPU was only at 45c. I have not seen the card psuh over 80c in all my time having it.

I think I will aslo the a new PSU as have seen multiple threads which reccomend that the issue could be coming from power.

Thanks for your help.