[SOLVED] GPU randomly stopped outputting signal but works fine on friends PC?

SIRFureman

Honorable
Jun 23, 2014
I was playing games on my pc last night and everything was normal. Then I switched from Rust to CSGO and my primary monitor (plugged into my GPU) went black, while my secondary monitor (running of the motherboard) remained on. After copious troubleshooting, I deduced that my GPU (EVGA GTX 1080) had failed. However, I just tried it in my roommate's system, and it booted up no problem. Now I am utterly confused and need some help...

What I have tried:
  1. I have reseated the card dozens of times in the PCI slot.
  2. I have tried putting it into the lower PCI slot on my motherboard.
  3. I have unplugged all of the wires on my PSU and plugged them all back in.
  4. I have restored windows to a previous version.
  5. I have completely wiped my drivers and installed new ones.
  6. I have set the dedicated card to the primary monitor in BIOS.
  7. I have reset CMOS by taking out that little battery for 15 seconds.
  8. I have tested the card in my roommate's machine (It worked).
I am beginning to fear that this is my entire motherboard that is now useless. The whole build is 2.5 years old, while the GPU is almost 4. My specs are:
  • i7 7700k not overclocked.
  • 32GB of 3200MHz DDR4 Ram
  • Corsair RM750x PSU
  • ASUS Z270E Motherboard
  • EVGA GTX 1080 FTW 3.0 SC
I am growing hopeless and starting to fear that I will be spending the rest of my days troubleshooting components until I purchase enough parts to have built a Ship of Theseus. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Being that one monitor is coming off your motherboard signal, it means that your are using your processors graphics (and not the 1080). The CPU graphics is independent from the GPU graphics but runs much worse, So its most possible that your GPU is dead as you said.

But dont forget to check for driver issues using your working monitor and trying again, it could be as simple as re-installing the drivers

Another thing is what specs does your friend have? They could have also been running off the CPU graphics (if the display was plugged into the motherboard) meaning that they could have completely bypassed your GPU and use it at all. Maybe a list of your friends specs might help?

I hope this can help you a little. Feel free...

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
Are you saying that your GPU will still not output signal to your main monitor when it is plugged in to your PC's motherboard?

Have you tried different outputs on your GPU?

Does your friend's PC output signal to your main monitor?

Feb 22, 2020
Being that one monitor is coming off your motherboard signal, it means that your are using your processors graphics (and not the 1080). The CPU graphics is independent from the GPU graphics but runs much worse, So its most possible that your GPU is dead as you said.

But dont forget to check for driver issues using your working monitor and trying again, it could be as simple as re-installing the drivers

Another thing is what specs does your friend have? They could have also been running off the CPU graphics (if the display was plugged into the motherboard) meaning that they could have completely bypassed your GPU and use it at all. Maybe a list of your friends specs might help?

I hope this can help you a little. Feel free to reply back!
-Nic

Solution