Abasiczombie

Reputable
Mar 21, 2020
My first time messing with RGB, so I’m not sure if the MSI gpu has a proprietary connector or the Phanteks Halo fan frames.
This may be way out there, but I don’t have an RGB header, so I ran through all the options for getting RGB fans in my custom prebuilt PC that didn’t involve a new case. I landed on a ‘think outside the box’ idea. Not sure if anyone has done it or if it’ll even work, but hear me out…
Sata powered RGB hub. RGB input will come from my MSI 1660ti Gaming X. Phanteks Halos RGB fan frames coming from the hub as well as the RGB of the GPU. In theory, it should work since the Phanteks are compatible with Mystic Lights.
my problem though is 2 different size RGB connectors. I’m still waiting on my hub to come in to check pin size, but I’m leaning towards the GPU having the right size connectors. I may have to rewire new connectors or get big pin to little pin RGB adapters 🤷🏼‍♂️
Do you guys think this setup will work and if you’ve had any experience with 2 different sized RGB connectors, could you recommend a work-around for getting everything fitting?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
RGB input will come from my MSI 1660ti Gaming X.

I wasn't aware of that GPU having dedicated RGB connector to plug in additional RGB hardware and i have the very same GPU. :unsure:

To make sure, i checked the specs and datasheet again, and i still don't see that RGB connector you speak of,
specs: https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/GeForce-GTX-1660-Ti-GAMING-X-6G

get big pin to little pin RGB adapters

There are two types of RGB connectors, the standard ones, either 4-pin 12V RGB or 3-pin 5V ARGB while the rest are proprietary connectors.

Standard ones look like so:

3-pin-vs-4-pin-header-1.jpg

While proprietary connectors can be from 3-pin up to 7-pin connector and will look completely different from the standard ones.
Also, it is uncommon to get adapter from proprietary connector to standard RGB/ARGB connector. Some manufacturers include them (e.g Lian-Li uni fan SL infinity uses 7-pin proprietary connector but also includes adapter).

MSI gpu has a proprietary connector or the Phanteks Halo fan frames.

Phanteks Halos (all 4 variants) use proprietary connector as well. Here, you need to have Phanteks adapter, to convert the cable to the standard one.
Phanteks RGB LED adapter for Halos and Halos LUX or Phanteks DRGB Motherboard adapter for Halos Digital and Halos LUX Digital.

could you recommend a work-around for getting everything fitting?

Which Halos you have? The standard one (RGB) or Digital one (ARGB)? And how many?

Abasiczombie

Reputable
Mar 21, 2020
I’ve got the 4 pin 12v RGB Halos. Unfortunately I’m running into clearance issues installing them. Didn’t realize the frame was so thick. But as far as the GPU RGB header is concerned, I believe it’s right beside the fan header. I’m sure it would send out the same signal an RGB strip or fan would need. I’m actually thinking about just getting a 120 RGB fan to sit on my Cryorig H7 and another 140mm RGB fan for the front intake. That’s the current fan setup and I sit at 78° GPU temp at full load. Taking the front cover off nets me 72°. I’m fine with 72 if I can open the front cover with a cool design and add some mesh. So instead of cutting holes, slapping 2 more 140s on the bottom, rigging all fans with Halos, adding a hub and all that wiring to an already tiny case, I’m thinking of just replacing the CPU and intake fans with RGB fans and daisy chain them to the GPU. I’m sure the GPU header can manage another 1-1.5A max draw… that’s if I’m right about that header being RGB lol

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
But as far as the GPU RGB header is concerned, I believe it’s right beside the fan header.

Are you talking about either of these two connectors?
(circled in blue)

1Pir8pQ.jpg

(pic is of my PC, that i just take a picture of)

If so, one of them is to power GPU fans, while another is for GPU RGB. Both use proprietary connectors.

Neither of the two are NOT for you to expand your RGB/fans.
The fact that, they are actually connectors and not directly soldered to PCB, is because MSI gives users the option to replace defective fans/RGB with working ones. But those are not designed to be expanded on.

I’m sure the GPU header can manage another 1-1.5A max draw…

Do you have the GPU in-depth drawings/manual that you're so sure of it? :rolleyes:

and daisy chain them to the GPU

Bad idea. Several reasons:
  1. You have no idea which of the two is fan power and which is RGB LEDs.
  2. You have 0 clue what the RGB LED header is rated for.
  3. LEDs within the GPU are (5V) ARGB, while e.g your Phanteks Halos is 12V RGB. <- These two aren't compatible with each other.
  4. GPU LED connector is not for RGB expansion, as you try to jerry-rig it.
  5. GPU LED connector is proprietary one and there are no adapters to switch it to standard RGB header, which you need.

could you recommend a work-around for getting everything fitting?

Easiest solution for getting your Phanteks Halos running, is RGB control card, namely: Akasa Vegas control card,
specs: http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?...ing&type_sub=RGB LED Lighting&model=AK-RLD-02
amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Akasa-AK-RLD-02-Vegas-PCI-Control/dp/B073SQGQ7V

If your MoBo doesn't have 12V RGB header, you're left using the built-in profiles of Akasa Vegas.

Abasiczombie

Reputable
Mar 21, 2020
White connector is for the GPU fans and the black connector is for GPU RGB. I never said it had a dedicated RGB extension header. I was asking about using the GPU RGB header as an input for a hub, which would draw zero amps from the header and would probably be safe to do given an adapter is sourced or made. Then, 4 halos and the RGB on the GPU could be powered by the hub and controlled through Mystic Lights as if it was still only the GPU’s original RGB in the system.

After realizing almost every connector is proprietary and running into space limitations, I made a quick back up plan of just running 2 Halos off the GPU RGB header, but I agree with you, I don’t have the manual and the added amp draw could damage my GPU

Also, everything I’m finding online says the Gaming X is RGB not ARGB and the 4 pin connector should confirm that.

The Akasa Vegas is really neat. Wish I would seen that before my brain started coming up with ideas. But with the airflow not being optimized and RGB being a headache, I may just get a new case. Just wanted to run my idea by the geniuses to see if Mystic Light controlled RGB was possible

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Just wanted to run my idea by the geniuses to see if Mystic Light controlled RGB was possible

Given in infinite time, everything is possible. But that doesn't mean it's smart thing to do and it won't blow up into your face.

There is a very good reason why GPU manufacturers put proprietary connectors on the GPU. To deter people trying the dumb stuff.

Reactions: Abasiczombie

Latest posts