May 21, 2019
I recently upgraded from a GTX 960 to an RTX 2070 and ever since my GPU Usage while under load is like 20-30%
Is there anyway of increasing it without upgrading other components?

CPU: i7 3770
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600mhz
PSU: Corsair 650 Wats
MOBO: Some old intel one

You'll most likely need to upgrade your hardware more as the RTX card is most likely being held back by the CPU but Idk your slow RAM may be the reason as well but CPU bottleneck would probably be the more logical one esp. taking into account that the CPU is almost 10 years old (will be in 2020) and the GPU is brand new basically (not over a year yet I believe?)

(I am not an expert I am just trying to help where I can...)

May 21, 2019
You'll most likely need to upgrade your hardware more as the RTX card is most likely being held back by the CPU but Idk your slow RAM may be the reason as well but CPU bottleneck would probably be the more logical one esp. taking into account that the CPU is almost 10 years old (will be in 2020) and the GPU is brand new basically (not over a year yet I believe?)

(I am not an expert I am just trying to help where I can...)
Yeah that's what made sense to me, I just would rather avoid it because if I upgrade one part, the other parts can't support it. For example a newer CPU doesn't support my DDR3 ram nor my motherboard which will cost me a fair amount. Upgrading all that is my last resort, just wondering if there is any other way.

Yeah that's what made sense to me, I just would rather avoid it because if I upgrade one part, the other parts can't support it. For example a newer CPU doesn't support my DDR3 ram nor my motherboard which will cost me a fair amount. Upgrading all that is my last resort, just wondering if there is any other way.
I mean sooner or later you will have to upgrade just get a budget build that can handle ur current RTX card when possible that is the only solution I can think of

Can't agree with TGFallenOne, especially on RAM, because RAM has nothing to do with FPS or bottlenecking, and 3770 can still deliver decent FPS (bottlenecking the RTX2070 by around 20-30% according to benchmarks).

Check this https://www.gpucheck.com/gpu/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2070/intel-core-i7-3770-3-40ghz/

So, if you're hitting decent FPS (let's say 70FPS) with that low GPU usage (you should have high ~100% CPU usage) - that's not critical. But if you're having low FPS and not max CPU usage also, then we should look at a broad picture and my bet would be motherboard is the issue. If that is the case - you'll have to upgrade the motherboard and it means upgrading CPU and memory, too.

Find the motherboard model.

Reactions: AngelTech

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Have you tried reinstalling driver from GeForce.com/drivers and doing the clean install option in the installer?

If that doesn't work try use DDU in safemode to wipe Nvidia driver, reboot and try again.

Im running a 1080ti with a 2600k and gpu usages are normal. 2600k being overclocked shouldn't make that big of a difference i would have thought.

May 21, 2019
Can't agree with TGFallenOne, especially on RAM, because RAM has nothing to do with FPS or bottlenecking, and 3770 can still deliver decent FPS (bottlenecking the RTX2070 by around 20-30% according to benchmarks).

Check this https://www.gpucheck.com/gpu/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2070/intel-core-i7-3770-3-40ghz/

So, if you're hitting decent FPS (let's say 70FPS) with that low GPU usage (you should have high ~100% CPU usage) - that's not critical. But if you're having low FPS and not max CPU usage also, then we should look at a broad picture and my bet would be motherboard is the issue. If that is the case - you'll have to upgrade the motherboard and it means upgrading CPU and memory, too.

Find the motherboard model.
I don't think the motherboard would have anything to do with my low fps. My CPU usage normally sits around 85-95% under load, with the occasional dips to the 70s so I think that could be it.
What resolution are you running? At 1080p I would expect you are held back significantly by the rest of the system. However at say 4K I would expect the setup to work reasonably well.

Also what games and what FPS are you getting?
I play at 1080p 144hz and I mainly play games like Skyrim, Fallout 4 and Rust (Mostly Rust) and I generally hit like 50-60 fps on that. If I'm like really lucky and in a basic area, 70.
Have you tried reinstalling driver from GeForce.com/drivers and doing the clean install option in the installer?

If that doesn't work try use DDU in safemode to wipe Nvidia driver, reboot and try again.

Im running a 1080ti with a 2600k and gpu usages are normal. 2600k being overclocked shouldn't make that big of a difference i would have thought.
I have already tried reinstalling the Geforce Game Ready Drivers, and I'm not sure the second option would help me that much if the first one already didn't.

May 10, 2019
Well if you want to spent less money you could buy a Xeon 1650 v2 that goes around 100€ on ebay. It's 6 cores 12 threads , turbo 3.5 ghz base , 3.9 ghz turbo boost.
You can easly overclock it to 4.4 , 4.5 . I have one at 4.4ghz with a Hyper Evo 212 really good. You already have everything else. You could even overclock your ram also it isn't hard.