Apr 16, 2022
Hello everyone, any help is much appreciated :D

I've had the 3070ti for a month now, it was pretty much plug and play upgrading from a RX480. I've had no issues with the card until last night when the computer blue screened, i didn't manage to catch the description but after that the system restarted, everything was on except there was no video output. Upon restarting the system the VGA LED would be turned on.

Fastforward to today; i've tried the following attempts at resolving the issue:
  • Completely replugged the entire system,
  • Reseated and cleaned the connection pins of the GPU,
  • Reseted Cmos,
  • Reseated memory,
  • Removed the GPU, booted into Safe Mode and did a DDU wipe of all three drivers.

Now upon all of these attempts, the GPU would sometimes(at most 10% of the time) boot and run as expected. Twice throughout the past 24 hours it would perform as normal upon a driver installation, however, it would soon crash no more than 30 minutes later, exhibiting the same symptoms as day one without the blue screen.

I've swapped the old RX480 back in and it seems it's running normally.

Now the question becomes, could the CPU, Motherboard, RAM, or the Power Supply be the root of the issue or is the problem the GPU has just died ;(

Full specs:

Honestly, any help is appreciated, I'm just praying it's not a GPU being faulty rn XD

Ralston18

Titan
My immediate thought is that the PSU is a very likely suspect.

How old is that Corsair CXM 750 watt PSU? Original, new, refurbished, used? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit mining?

At the next successful boot look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the times of crashes and blue screens.

Start with Reliability History. Much more user friendly and presents a time line format that may reveal when the problems began, changed, or started to increase in number.

Look for error codes. And you can click any given error for more detailed information. That information may or may not be directly helpful.

If not specific error codes, look for patterns that lead to the crashes and blue screens.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Apr 16, 2022
My immediate thought is that the PSU is a very likely suspect.

How old is that Corsair CXM 750 watt PSU? Original, new, refurbished, used? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit mining?

At the next successful boot look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the times of crashes and blue screens.

Start with Reliability History. Much more user friendly and presents a time line format that may reveal when the problems began, changed, or started to increase in number.

Look for error codes. And you can click any given error for more detailed information. That information may or may not be directly helpful.

If not specific error codes, look for patterns that lead to the crashes and blue screens.

Hello, Good Morning Ralston! :D

Thanks for the reply,
The PSU is around i say 7 years old now, purchased off ebay; description read new. The system has been through the occasional heavy gaming, there's been a few processor intensive tasks over the years.

Thank you for the suggestions; i've looked into Reliability History + Event Viewer and unraveled the following:

- Bad_module_info: stopped working
- A potential issue are corrupted files can also cause your applications or games to crash mid-session.
- Windows: shut down unexpectedly
- Both due to Bucket ID: 0x116_TdrBCR:4:C000009A_Tdr:9_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys_Ampere_3D with the code 116 for the bluescreen.

- Event Viewer seems to have looped and presented the same error message with the source being also nvlddmkm with the info presented as:
\Device\Video3
Graphics Exception.

I'm going to try and replace the PSU soon, if that doesn't work i'm just gonna be a sad boi.

If anybody would have a suggestion or otherwise, i'd really appreciate it :)

Thanks again for the help Ralston! :D

Last edited:

Tigerhawk30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
Good afternoon,

So I noticed that you're replacing an AMD card with an NVIDIA card...was DDU applied to wipe the AMD drivers before installing the NVIDIA drivers? There will be a conflict if this isn't done.

Also, from my own experience, I had an MSI RX 5700 XT a couple of years ago that exhibited the same issues you're describing, and it eventually just died out...gave me a red brick GPU debug light on the motherboard when it died entirely. I had to RMA it...got a new one and the problem never came back with the new card.

Those are the two issue points that I can think of.

Hope these help, and have a great day!