[SOLVED] GPUs keep dying, been through multiple cards

Aug 4, 2021
In January of 2020 I purchased a prebuilt PC from Cybertron through Best Buy and I have had nothing but issues with it. I know, “there’s your problem” but this was the first gaming PC I’d ever had and since money wasn’t an issue at the time I figured I’d let professionals do the setup and that would be the safer bet. I am now rethinking that decision.

The original PC setup was a Ryzen 9 3900x, Nvidia 2080ti, Asrock Phantom X570, 2 8gb Patriot RAM cards, and a liquid cooling system (not sure on mode of RAM or cooling system and I don’t have the specs in front of me).

The computer ran fine for the first 5 months but then the card started artifacting. I contacted CLX and sent the PC in to them. 2 weeks later they had sent it back and it was working ok. Then a few weeks later I start getting BSOD codes. They determine it is related to the GPU and have me send mine in to be replaced.
Enter GPU number two. This card is working for about a month before it starts artifacting. It is worth noting that I have never overclocked or in any way adjusted these cards. Strictly factory settings and the only use they are really seeing is me playing Rainbow Six Siege. Other than that I use the computer for watching Netflix and occasionally recording music.
After the second card started artifacting they have me send in the entire PC again. When they ship it back this time the case is damaged and the GPU is sagging at the motherboards PCI slot. Because of this they tell me they are going to replace the whole PC.
They send me a whole new computer and it’s working for about a month before GPU number 3 goes bad. Wtf?!
Same issue, artifacting and eventually BSOD codes. At this point I’m telling them I think there is an underlying issue and if I’m guessing it’s related to the PSU or motherboard. They tell me to ship it back and they upgrade the PSU from a 650W Kratos to the 750W model and upgrade the GPU from the 2080ti to a 3080. After 3 weeks of having it back I start, again, getting BSOD codes on start up. I have Best Buy look at it and they end up doing a clean install of Windows. Now this last week the 3080 has started artifacting.
I’ve had the card 4 months at this point and the computer a total of a year and 7 months. Cybertron says that I’m outside of warranty now and they are refusing to assist any further with this. I do still have the manufacturers warranty but I’m afraid to put another card (or a fixed one via Gigabyte if that’s what they decide to do under the warranty) into this system and damage that one as well. Is there anything else that could cause multiple GPUs to fail, or am I just insanely unlucky?

Solution
I think it’s because you are using a near garbage tier psu with a power hungry gpu and cpu. Please check this post and see that the psu you have is only tier d or tier c depending on your exact model…

i cannot stress enough how important a good quality psu is, im betting that a better quality psu would solve your problems

edit: artifacting….. the first thing that almost always comes in to my mind when i read artifacting is mining. Do you happen to be mining cryptocurrency with your gpu?

Im with Jmi20 on this, I think you just had horrible PSU fromt he start.

A Ryzen 9 3900X + RTX 2080 TI with a crappy "650W Kratos" PSU, that my friend is a joke.

A system like the one you have a year ago, should have come equiped with...
Aug 4, 2021
Possibly. I never checked that, though I probably should have. It honestly never occurred to me just because I have a liquid cooling system and anything I’m doing with the cards is only theoretically using like half of their capacity. Running the few games I played on ultra was barely pushing the cards so I just figured something else was going on.
If I risk putting another in there I’ll be sure to keep on eye on temps

mhmd shoumar

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2015
There is an underlying problem, maybe related to your electricity? but then your other components should have been damaged as well. It's really odd to replace 4 GPU's. All other components are pretty good, keep an eye on temps since u mentioned that the gpu was not placed correctly, so maybe the cooling system is also not setup correctly( I recommended normal cooling system cuz the liquid is short lived and need more maintenance)

perrynick17

Commendable
BANNED
Dec 30, 2018
i dont think your graphics card are going bad, its either the drivers aren't working, or your OS is corrupting after prolonged use, the storage device could be overheating in the case. make sure your not defragging a solid state drive that can destroy a UEFI partition on a solid state drive ssd or nvme

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
I think it’s because you are using a near garbage tier psu with a power hungry gpu and cpu. Please check this post and see that the psu you have is only tier d or tier c depending on your exact model…

i cannot stress enough how important a good quality psu is, im betting that a better quality psu would solve your problems

edit: artifacting….. the first thing that almost always comes in to my mind when i read artifacting is mining. Do you happen to be mining cryptocurrency with your gpu?

Last edited:

Im with Jmi20 on this, I think you just had horrible PSU fromt he start.

A Ryzen 9 3900X + RTX 2080 TI with a crappy "650W Kratos" PSU, that my friend is a joke.

A system like the one you have a year ago, should have come equiped with at least a good brand (Corsair, EVG, Seasonic) and mid to high tier model 750watts PSU.

Your current system with an RTX 3080 could even use a higher unit of 850 watts, to be a on a ver safe place.

High level components needs really good and stable power. Having a who knows what brand PSU of only 650 watts with a R9 3900X and RTX 2080TI is never a good idea.

Solution