Question Graphics Card: Green Horizontal Lines and Forced System Shutdown While Gaming.

Nov 29, 2020
Hello Guys,

After two weeks I've finally decided to post here.
I have been having this problem with my pc (or my graphics card, I'm not really sure) while gaming (Battlefront 2 and GTA or even SWTOR)or doing graphic intense work:
All of a sudden green and black horizontal lines appear on both of my screens. They keep flickering and are just overlayed ontop of my game and my second monitor.
Sometimes parts of my screen are not visible. (Next time it happens i can share a picture)
Then, a lot of the times my pc completely freezes and I have to force shut it down.
As a heads up: I don't really know much about PC's and Graphics Cards, so simple explanations are highly appreciated!

My first thought was, that my system can't handle multiple monitors.
Also, even though AMD says i have the newest drivers, could it be, that that's the problem?

Here's my system list:

Monitors: Both 60hz one BenQ connected via HDMI to Displayport and the other a very old Medion connected via VGA to Display Port;
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600, Six Core Processor; 3.40 GHZ;
Ram: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 GSkill 3000MHz AEGIS;
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon RX 580 Series;
Standard AMD/INTEL Box Cooler;
MotherB: MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX;
Drives: 240GB Kingston A400 (500MB/s - 350MB/s)
1000GB SATA 6GB/s 7200rpm;
Power: 500W Silentium VERO L3
;

I still have two years of guarantee, but i still want to know if i can fix it myself, rather than sending it in.

Nov 29, 2020
Does it do this one using only one monitor?

I tried that before abd it seemed to work while playing Battlefront 2. But that was right after a large glitch.
Also: The glitches are just consistant in how they look and when they appear. But how strong the glitch is going to be or how many lines is always random.
For example: sometimes I can play GTA on High Settings and the lines will appear and then go away (and later maybe crash the PC) and on other occasions I will play SWTOR on very low settings and my PC will crash.

Nov 29, 2020
Did that. It tells me multiple Events have taken place. One Critical with an Event ID 41 called Kernel/Power. And multiple Errors and Warnings. Some Kernel Power, some others.
Also: I just manually updated my graphics card drivers over the Device Manager, because I don't really trust the AMD software.

Nov 29, 2020
GPU temps should be fine, last I checked around 74 C. I've never overclocked, lut I'll try lowering the overclock and report back. I'm also trying out using the system with only one monitor just to see if something bad happens (or not). I'm just kind of scared now to redo a Benchmark or game, because I don't want the PC to die / not be able to turn it on. Because I need that thing for work.

Nov 29, 2020
Okay: I downloaded Afterburner and my default core clock is 1366 mhz. What should I do now?

Also: Could this be related? It seemed familiar...

Nov 29, 2020
That's what I did, still crashes and now my whole system is bugging. But I can try again later. At this point I'll probably just use that guarantee and send the thing in, maybe I'll even get a whole replacement. Good thing I bought one! But thanks guys for your help.

Generally, when I see corrupt graphics output, I immediately suspect the GPU is faulty (likely VRAM). I'd recommend running a memory test (memtest86+) just to rule out system RAM, but my suspicion is that you should RMA the GPU for being potentially faulty.

Nov 29, 2020
Hello Fellas,

I managed to get a new gpu through my two year warranty. Now I'm in the midst of preparing to exchange the cards. For that, I first want to uninstall all drivers of the old card, before I put in the new one. (Its going to be a different one, because they didn't have the exact one I had before) My problem: The pc doesn't start because of the discussed GPU problem and my processor doesn't have integrated graphics, for it to run without a GPU. So what do I do? Put the new gpu in, just to get into windows and then uninstall the old drivers?

Thanks for the help!

Nov 29, 2020
Update: I managed to get the pc running again. I don't know how, but it booted. Now I can proceed normally by uninstalling the old drivers before I put in the new gpu.
If it in fact was a driver issue, as spentshells suspects, than I'm kind of pissed off at AMD. I transitioned from Nvidia because of the low costs of radeon GPU's, but man oh man, this has not been a pleasurable experience...