[SOLVED] Graphics card isn't receiving power even though 6+2 pin is plugged in

Ruben_Samich

Honorable
Oct 16, 2016
Alright so I bought a used gtx 970. I put it in the pci slot. I plug in the 8 pin. I turn my computer on and see the windows logo. Then after about 30 seconds my graphics card fans stop spinning and my monitor gets no signal. These are all symptoms of what happens when you forget to plug in the 8 pin cable. It runs for a little bit, realizes it's not getting enough power, and then turns off. I know the gpu isn't dead or fried because it outputs perfectly fine for that first 30 seconds. Can I fix this?

And by the way I know the 8 pin is in all the way. There's a little white LED that shines to tell you it's in. When it's not plugged in it's red. But that LED only detects if a cord is in there, not if the card is actually receiving power. My PSU is 750w and Asus recommends 500 for this 970 so I know it's not that. I know the motherboard and pci slot is good because if I put my 1050 ti in there (which doesn't need a 6 or 8 pin it is powered directly by pci) everything works perfectly fine. So please help me this is very frustrating.

Solution
Hey so I went to ASUS's website and realized that my card has a "0 db fan" feature. That basically means, if it's not hot, the fans won't spin. So what I thought was the card turning off and not working is it doing exactly what it's supposed to. (and I also learned that you are right, the white LED does mean it is receiving enough power so now I don't think it's my power supply)

So now my hypothesis is that my computer is just getting confused that there is anything other than a 1050 ti in the pci slot and sort of just not using the card if that makes sense. Do you think reinstalling windows would help?

• Shut down and take out the BIOS battery the replace.
  • Reboot
  • With ASUS GPU Tweak or Nvidia control panel...

Ruben_Samich

Honorable
Oct 16, 2016
My PSU is the Rosewill (I know I know Rosewill sucks don't buy their stuff I already know you don't have to tell me) ARC 750. I just got it from newegg because it was at a really good price and the reliability didn't matter to me because of how cheap it was. So brand new.

My graphics card is the Asus ROG STRIX 970 OC and you're not gonna believe this but it only has 1 8-pin connector. I took a picture of it to show you.
View: https://imgur.com/a/LfYs7SW

Hope this helps

Nov 28, 2019
Alright so I bought a used gtx 970. I put it in the pci slot. I plug in the 8 pin. I turn my computer on and see the windows logo. Then after about 30 seconds my graphics card fans stop spinning and my monitor gets no signal. These are all symptoms of what happens when you forget to plug in the 8 pin cable. It runs for a little bit, realizes it's not getting enough power, and then turns off. I know the gpu isn't dead or fried because it outputs perfectly fine for that first 30 seconds. Can I fix this?

And by the way I know the 8 pin is in all the way. There's a little white LED that shines to tell you it's in. When it's not plugged in it's red. But that LED only detects if a cord is in there, not if the card is actually receiving power. My PSU is 750w and Asus recommends 500 for this 970 so I know it's not that. I know the motherboard and pci slot is good because if I put my 1050 ti in there (which doesn't need a 6 or 8 pin it is powered directly by pci) everything works perfectly fine. So please help me this is very

And by the way I know the 8 pin is in all the way. There's a little white LED that shines to tell you it's in. When it's not plugged in it's red. But that LED only detects if a cord is in there, not if the card is actually receiving power. My PSU is 750w and Asus recommends 500 for this 970 so I know it's not that. I know the motherboard and pci slot is good because if I put my 1050 ti in there (which doesn't need a 6 or 8 pin it is powered directly by pci) everything works perfectly fine. So please help me this is very frustrating.
what kind of PSU are you using?

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
My PSU is the Rosewill (I know I know Rosewill sucks don't buy their stuff I already know you don't have to tell me) ARC 750. I just got it from newegg because it was at a really good price and the reliability didn't matter to me because of how cheap it was. So brand new.

My graphics card is the Asus ROG STRIX 970 OC and you're not gonna believe this but it only has 1 8-pin connector. I took a picture of it to show you.
View: https://imgur.com/a/LfYs7SW

Hope this helps
Every 970 I have every installed has had two.. so I guess I'm wrong. :kikou:

• Well if you had a 10 series you don't need a BIOS update.
  • If the self-check light (Red) is coming on then the PCI is giving enough power.
  • If the Light turns (White) then temporarily the PSU is matching the needed requirements.

That could be a faulty GPU or weak PSU, you need another PC to drop the GPU in or another PSU to swap out.

ARC 750 is built on a Fractal Design Integra M, it's not great nor is it bad but rather middle of the pack. I take it this is around 7 years old? Maybe it's time for an upgrade.

Ruben_Samich

Honorable
Oct 16, 2016
Every 970 I have every installed has had two.. so I guess I'm wrong. :kikou:

• Well if you had a 10 series you don't need a BIOS update.
  • If the self-check light (Red) is coming on then the PCI is giving enough power.
  • If the Light turns (White) then temporarily the PSU is matching the needed requirements.
That could be a faulty GPU or weak PSU, you need another PC to drop the GPU in or another PSU to swap out.

ARC 750 is built on a Fractal Design Integra M, it's not great nor is it bad but rather middle of the pack. I take it this is around 7 years old? Maybe it's time for an upgrade.

I just got the ARC 750 yesterday :/ but if you think that's the problem then I'll return it and get a better one. I guess I should have listened to the internet and not bought from rosewill...

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
I just got the ARC 750 yesterday :/ but if you think that's the problem then I'll return it and get a better one. I guess I should have listened to the internet and not bought from rosewill...
I would suggest you find someone that can pop that card in and test it on another PC first, the last thing you want is to return that and have the same issue with another power supply.

Ruben_Samich

Honorable
Oct 16, 2016
Hey so I went to ASUS's website and realized that my card has a "0 db fan" feature. That basically means, if it's not hot, the fans won't spin. So what I thought was the card turning off and not working is it doing exactly what it's supposed to. (and I also learned that you are right, the white LED does mean it is receiving enough power so now I don't think it's my power supply)

So now my hypothesis is that my computer is just getting confused that there is anything other than a 1050 ti in the pci slot and sort of just not using the card if that makes sense. Do you think reinstalling windows would help?

My theory is its a dead card. This is not something I really understand but from reviews I have heard a gpu has 2 states, a lower state when booting and a higher state with full functionality when in Windows. It is possible for the higher state to be dead while the lower state works.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador

• Shut down and take out the BIOS battery the replace.
  • Reboot
  • With ASUS GPU Tweak or Nvidia control panel force your fans to stay on 100%
  • Attempt to put the system under load and see what happens.

Solution
Nov 28, 2019
Could be like a RAM issue, or CPU. Check the RAM and reseat the cpu and look for bent pins, that can cause memory issues. And if it doesn’t boot up or you get a BSoD it could also be RAM. But if you’re automatically shutting off after booting into windows with no warning, try getting a new PSU and higher quality. Sometimes PSUs that are low quality don’t deliver enough power efficiently to its components. The energy is either transferred to the atmosphere or somewhere else that isn’t being used efficiently. Which is why I recommend a better or 80 plus PSU, so energy is being used to your components as effectively and effectively as possible.