Gravity indeed does warp space and time? Einstein Prediction

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yadge

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
I know for a fact that time travel does not and can not exist.
That is essentially not true, unfortunately. When astronauts go to the space station for a couple of months and return they have actually aged a few seconds more than the rest of us due to the time dilation factor of their speed. That has been proven with superaccurate atomic clocks. The more the speed, the more the dilation. It is within the grasp of our own technology to send an astronaut on a very long space mission and have him return to Earth twenty years later, but to find that everyone he has ever known is long dead.

I am aware of this experiment, but that is not what I would call time travel.

I forgot to mention that I believe you can go forward in time, depending on your definition of going forward in time. Like you can freeze someone for a thousand years and have them wake up. To them it would feel like time travel, but it really wouuldn't be. (I am not really sure this is possible though.)

I am not trying to prove you wrong. You are actually right. I just would not call that time travel myself.

But going backward in time is completely different. That is what I know for a fact is impossible.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
But going backward in time is completely different. That is what I know for a fact is impossible.

There has been many a hungover morning when I woke up and realized what was sleeping next to me and prayed to go backwards in time. Never quite worked! :lol:

That may or may not be quite as impossible as you might think. There are ample quantum experiments that prove effect then cause.

Freezing someone for years is not time travel. That's just cryogenic biological suspension. Frogs do the same thing. It's hardly time travel.

The only way to gauge time travel is by having two independent and identical extremely accurate synchronized time gauges. You leave one at rest and you do "whatever" to the second one. If there is a discrepancy either forwards or backwards at the end of the experiment, that is time travel.

yadge

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
I know freezing someone is not time travel, I was just using that to show that what might seem like time travel may not be. It depends on how you define time travel. I would not define the two clock scenario you describe as time travel.

Well, actually I would, but not the same kind of time travel. I'm talking about going thru time. And ending up in the future or the past. What you have been talking about is manipulating the clocks in certain ways so that they have aged different amounts. Which I agree is a type of time travel, but not the same kind as I was talking about.

That may or may not be quite as impossible as you might think. There are ample quantum experiments that prove effect then cause.

So you are saying there are experiments where something happens before what caused it happens? I can not conceive of that happening, although I do not doubt you. Can you give some examples? It sounds interesting.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
ye, well i have not heard anything that proves his theory and i reject the idea that light has any part to play in the way the universe works, the idea is silly and chiuldlike IMO.

IMO, humans are far too primitive to even begin suggesting theories about the universe when we know damn all about the earth we live in or even the human body.

i KNOW that his theories are full of holes and i also know that instead of looking at what actually exists, people try and prove his theories by twisting things to work.

people do not look at evidence and think what it means, they look at evidence and think how it fits into his theories? that is not right.

can anyone tell me why light would be so important, if we saw the world through radio waves would radio waves then be the speed barrier of the universe? is there more to light being chosen of radio waves than we see by it?

Light is the highest form of energy with the smallest per/cm effect. That's why it's described as both a wave and a particle. I have done simulations that show that just as given wavelengths can transmit heat energy certain other wavelengths can remove it.

And though I never read this particular description of his theories, I can say that it does seem to bolster my own theory of the Big Bang and prior nanoseconds.

While I don't really believe in time travel - at least backwards - I do believe it might be possible to be in a bubble where time passes differently inside than outside. But because time is such a relative concept, we'd be better off learning how to live together and

GETTING THE WAR OUT OF MY PC.

This has been a public service announcement from Nirvana.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
BTW, the theory states the the force IS NOT gravity but the rippling of the spatial matrix in bewteen celestial bodies. I would really say that the terms are nearly interchangeable, though, as the forces between bodies was proven during the height of the NASA program.

You can consider localized effects like a fractal equation where proximity determines direction for an insignificant mass ( apollo capsue vs. Moon).

Wow, I should make a new blog post after a long time.

As far as the locality effects allowing portions of CPUs to operate "faster than light" it would take a definitive "boundary" as the IO portions of the CPU would need to be "real-time."

Highly doubtful application.

OldGoat

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
Great reading, but I still have a little trouble with some of his theory's.
Time is constant, it will always remain the same regardless of how fast or slow you are traveling. If we could travel at the speed of light it will still take about seven minutes for us to get to the sun. the people in the ship will be seven minutes older and so will the people on Earth and any other planet they are on. I would like to find more info about the atomic clocks on the space station.
As far as the bending of the fabric of space, to me that theory always seemed a little short sided for Albert's intelligence level. Space is multi dimensional, the idea that heavy object bends space around them seems unidimensional unless he presumed that space was composed of multi layers of "fabric" in that case there you be a distortional gap between the top of the sun and the subsequent layers of space.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
the reason light is described as both a wave and a particle is because it behaves as both. also, don't gamma rays have a higher energy and affect a smaller area, the wavelenghts of it are far smaller than light aint they.

also, wouldn't the heat cancellation be down to deconstructive interference if that is what you are talking about.

nothing you said explained why light is so important.

I'm not sure why you don't see the effect of light as your eye takes in different wavelengths that allow for "visual perception." I guess then the importance of light is so that our optic nerves have something to do or perhaps our optic nerves give light something to do.

Perhaps I didn't explain it properly. I never want to sound too smart or too stupid.

I was admittedly confused as to what importance you want to attribute to it.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Hmm... spinning matter creates a drag force...
Maybe that is where my carpet disappeared last week, after my Delta Screamer fan spun at 6000RPM in my PC!
It probably created a mini black hole and sucked the carpet in! I should either start nailing things down in my house or get a smaller fan, lol!

yadge

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
I am only 16. I have not even taken Physics yet in high school.
Congratulations on completely discrediting yourself.

That was actually my point. I don't want people to think I think I know what I'm talking about, because I don't. It's all just ideas and theories I have. And If I myself admit that I am not credible, then my opinions can not be diminished by other people.

rob_uk

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
I am a physics undergrad and some of your comments are just so stupid.

Firstly, most of you will have no idea at all about the work that Albert did. You think that because you know about E=Δmc^2, or about time dilation that you have a clue as to the difficulties behind all that work. Einstein’s work on gravitational laws were pretty much formulated by him, and him alone. Most other physicists were working on quantum mechanics, and other new fields. Einstein, not only did quantum theory, he also rewrote the book on gravity. If you want to even know how much of a genius Einstein was you need to do the following...

1) study physics for a few years

2) get your mathematical skills above and beyond the level attainable by ANY undergraduate degree in the world. His maths skills were sometimes mocked, the only reason being that most people could not understand them.

3) then look at his papers. if you can even follow the maths, then and only then will you realise just how smart the man was.

He even invented new maths techniques which were not even known. Inventing your own maths?!

So before you say that Einstein is overrated, do some physics and then you will say to yourself..."shit, the guy was a genius"

NOTE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faster-than-light good read

dmdallas

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2006
i do not believe in time and cannot figure out why light would be so important.

What do you mean you don't believe in time??? Its not one of these things that you can say I don't believe in all willy-nilly-like.

Time is probably the MOST important part of Physics. Something can still happen on one or two dimensions and without light, but without time, there is no ∆. If there is no change, there is no point to anything. It is also probably the most tangible of all the dimensions as well. Assuming that you could still function without time, when you pulled the trigger of a gun, nothing would happen, flip a light switch... nothing, push the power button on your computer... still nothing, wait four the sun to rise/set, it might be a while. I think the reason that you are so unimpressed by time is the fact that it is so constant throughout our part of the universe. there is nowhere within our reach where time is noticeably faster or slower and you grow to be complacent and just assume that time will continue to move forward.

Sorry for being so angry about it, but this is wayyyy up on my list of pet peeves...

OldGoat

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
You are right, a vast majority of people accept time as the hours, minutes & seconds that tick away on our clocks. It does get a little frustrating sometimes, but you just have to shrug your shoulders and move on.

Albert was ahead of his time.. :wink: ...

For me, I will need to see hard physical proof that time is not constant before I could accept it.

irishsk8rpatrick

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Well said,

to all others who are "willy-nilly- and retarded about time, Time is relative this means, it can be seen differently, but if we look at Einsteins first postulate, it states that all references are in the same laws of physics, therefore time doesn't change it appears to change, so if you OC' your computer it won't beat another if it was "in gravitational pull" it would appear to.

Furthermore, Einstein was great, yet not great at all, it's the way one thinks that differenciates tthemselves.

Time travel is therotically * i don't give a shit about spelling* possible, as stated by Stephen Hawking, but you need a singularity blah blah with positve energy, but point being, it is possible, but no one knows what happens at the singularity, personally, you can go and try for yourself, but i doubt you will be coming back to tell us.

Also, yes space is "bent" by spacetime, but it is a four demensional field, and us as three demensional beings can not imagine that in our tiny macromolucle brains, thus it can be explained by a ball on a sheet, and the sheet bends due the "gravity" of the ball. It was a theory, not a prediction, he wasn't predicting anything, spacetime just is.

and to further baron matrices comment, you need infinite energy to surpass the speed of light :wink:

It is possible for "Time Travel" but it is Time dilation that people experiance, i could go on forever but i will conclude, time dilation is just time passing slower if you will, as one reaches the speed of light.

If you want more info, just contact me on AIM, if you would like to critize me , correct me , even slander me, go right ahead, im all ears.

yadge

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Time is probably the MOST important part of Physics. Something can still happen on one or two dimensions and without light, but without time, there is no ∆. If there is no change, there is no point to anything. It is also probably the most tangible of all the dimensions as well.

Time does occur, and time goes by. Things take time to happen. We can measure time. That does not make it tangible. According to Dictionary.com, tangible means, "capable of being touched; discernible by the touch." You can see the other definitions here.

IMO, by saying time is not tangible, it is saying time can not be bent or moved. We can not touch it and change it. We can perceive time, but that is because we made it up. To make sense of things. While time may be important in physics and life in general, it is not tangible.

I know you weren't quoting me, but I just wanted to clarify what I mean when I say time doesn't exist.

And again, it sounds like you know more about physics than me, so I just want people to realize that I am just sticking with logic and avoiding facts. Becasue if this turns into a battle about facts, I wull surely lose.

mationman

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I heard about some test where they put an atomic clock on a plane and an atomic clock on the ground and flew the plane about half way round the world and found that the clock on the plane was slower than the one on the ground.
Btw atomic clocks are the most accurate clocks.
And also (not 100% on this heard different takes on this) Einstein didn't believe in quantum theory and set about trying to disprove it and create a theory of everything which didnt include quantum theory.
Which leads onto string theory which is an attempt to unite relativity and quantum together but that gets abit mental with 11dimensions.
Sorry rambling on a bit there.

irishsk8rpatrick

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
he didn't like it becuase of the uncertainty principle (hence the qoute in my profile)such as Feyman's Path, if you know what that is, and if ya in to quatum physics check out the hans bethe videos at cornell colleges, i got links, but anyways, i don't think he woudl disprove it, i think he would discard it, since GR, General Relativity and Newtonian physics, does break down at atomic level...but then again, only a singularity is GR and Quantum phyiscs comparable

harmattan

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
The Uncertainty Principle pretty much invalidates any possibility of real-world application of this test.

However, I'm not sure about gravity, but I do think that girlfriends have the uncanny ability to warp spacetime to their will... which actually would be a pretty amazing ability, however, its most often used not for saving the world from disaster or rescuing friends from car accidents, but to annoy me.

I was supposed to watch the Sopranos with friends tonight (as we always do) in the neighborhood bar. At about 8:30, she says she needs "10 minutes" (i.e. girfriend minutes) to get ready. 45 minutes later... she's still playing with her bangs. When I yelled at her, she say "oh, no big deal, it's only a couple blocks away..." (the bar actually takes 15 minutes to get to). Damn.

So yeah, I got to watch about 10 minutes of tonights episode. To add insult to injury, the satellite cut out right before the ending because of the Day After Tomorrow rains here.

Status
Not open for further replies.